Can you Tell What Boat This Is?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Stan W.

I wouldn't waste much time with this guy if I were you.

Post by Stan W. »

Sea Hunt wrote:He says he bought it 3 years ago for $10,000 (this seems very high :!: ) and put "several thousand" into upgrades (new sails -main & roller furler, new shrouds, mostly new running riggings, etc.) He did not yet disclose his asking price.
Maybe being in FL changes things but in New England no one in possession of their faculties would pay more than $5,000 for a Seasprite 23 (excepting perhaps an inboard diesel equipped boat) and they often sell for much less.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

ebay/craigslist sea sprite #711

Post by RIKanaka »

Just to give you an idea of the price for one particular Sea Sprite which is currently listed on the Boston craigslist for $2999:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/320831531.html

It was previously listed twice on ebay but didn't reach the reserve price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sea-Spri ... 3941QQrdZ1

Interesting that the first listing on ebay resulted in bids up to $4000, but did not meet the reserve. The seller then listed it again with a lower reserve and a Buy-It-Now price of $2999, but the bidding only went up to $1232. Now it's craigslist for $2999. The craigslist listing say #177, ebay says #711, but it's the same boat.
Last edited by RIKanaka on Apr 30th, '07, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Stan:

Thank you for the advise. I completely agree with you on the price issue.

I finally talked with him on the phone this afternoon and we have agreed to meet this Wednesday morning.

I have looked at various websites, including those offered by Cathy M. (thank you Cathy :!: ). The prices for a Sea Sprite 23 (1970-1076) average between $3,000 and $5,000 with fair sails and an older ('80-'88) model O/B.

The current owner says he paid $10,000 three years ago and has put $5,000 into her (sails, roller furler, bottom job, new shrouds, mostly new running rigging).

I have made it very clear that this is no where near my price range and way out of line with Sea Sprites in good condition for sale on various websites. He says he is motivated to sell and wants to show me the boat. So, I am retired. I will go. I will NOT bring my checkbook.:wink:

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Marc Theriault

Don't reject her for the price.

Post by Marc Theriault »

Sea Hunt,

The asking price of a SS is surely around 4,000 to 5,000$. But you must not forget what it will cost you for a new set of sails, retouch the hull, a good outboard, a decent trailor so maybe the 10,000$ is not so bad after all. I thing it's a good thing to meet the owner and look at her. If i was in your shoes i will bring my check book, who knows maybe the owner will be welling to let her go for less than you think.

Good luck

Marc
ronkberg

Two more Albergs, FYI

Post by ronkberg »

Here are two boats for sale in Maine and listed on craigslist. Photos are with each listing, so everyone can feast their eyes. The Corinthian looks the best, at least in the photos, and has a trailer also. Neither are mine but I have seen the SeaSprite at Portland Yaucht Service. PM if you want my opinion.

Good luck with your hunting and I hope you settle on one soon.

Ron

23 FT SEASPRITE SAILBOAT - $5000
Reply to: sale-319990962@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-04-27, 2:45PM EDT

1967 23ft SEASPRITE, fiberglass sloop with mahogany and teak combing,cockpit,
cabin doors and toerail. Draft 3'6" keel. Three sails; main, jib and genoa with window in the sail. Custom sail covers with spare set. New main halyard.
New windex on top of aluminum mast. Rigging static tuned 2006 by PYS. 6 hp Suzuki outboard with gas line and tank, maintained annually by PYS. Five jackstands for winter storage. 200 lb. mushroom mooring. Extras; new horn, Danforth anchor and line, fenders, overboard ladder, life-line ring toss; float cushions, compass. WINDY"S cockpit is very roomy with inboard tiller and outboard. She handles very well and loves to be sailed. We have loved her for ten years and want her to have a good home.
She is ready to launch and can be viewed at Portland Yacht Services. Please call us at 767-3871 if you want to see her or know more about her. If you want her launched, we will pay for that or you can haul her away with all the gear.

1966 Bristol Corinthian 19' Sailboat For Sale - $4500
Reply to: sale-318174483@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-04-24, 7:57PM EDT

Classic Carl Arlberg design built by a world-class manufacturer. Sails in good condition. Trailer included. 4.5 hp Mercury OB included. Hull is glass and was painted last spring. Mast and boom are aluminum and in great condition. Deck is cream on white non-skid and was painted last spring. This seaworthy, little boat receives a lot of compliments on the water.
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
ronkberg

Here are the two links

Post by ronkberg »

Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Ron:

I sent you a PM.

Marc:

I intend to inspect her fully on Wednesday. Even if I fell in love with her on the spot (unlikely) I would not make an offer. I have learned over the years to at least spend a day of reflection before telling a girl I love her :!: :wink:

This sailboat does not have a trailer. Assuming he put $2,000 - $3,000 into her (sails, furler, bottom job, etc.), his statement that he paid $10,000 for her BEFORE all of this was done is way out of line with FMW prices for these sailboats. I assume he paid much, much less and simply wants to try to make a big profit. If he in fact paid $10,000 then he made a huge mistake - one I shall not replicate.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Emil Maurer

Sea Sprite

Post by Emil Maurer »

I have a 1999 copy of Practical Sailor's "Practical Boat Buying." (Vol 1) which has an inclusive article on the Sea Sprite. The 1998 price for an equipped '82 boat in good condition was around $8,000.

You can find the article probably updated at:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/ ... utLetter=S

or www.practical-sailor.com, and select Boat Reviews.

I am not sure what they charge but you will find the article worth it if you are interested in the boat.
Emil Maurer
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Emil and Alan:

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Practical Sailor article. I am a subscriber. I will inspect the Sea Sprite 23 tomorrow morning. If she looks interesting, I will promptly order the Practical Sailor review.

Thanks and Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Despite the "crappy" issues he is having to deal with right now, I know that Dean is waiting with high anticipation for the results of my inspection earlier today of the Sea Sprite 23.

Unfortunately, I have no substantive news to report. As soon as the owner removed the top hatch cover, a swarm of bees (or hornets or wasps - I do not know) came buzzing out of the enclosed cabin. I am told I am still very allergic to bees, etc. (bad reaction/near death experience as a teenager) and very quickly got off the sailboat. :(

So, I never got to inspect the sails, rigging, cabin, etc. The owner assures me he will have the bees removed and I will go back in a week or so to look at her again. He also stated he would not charge me extra for the sailboat for any natural bee honey found on board. :)

The owner says he was out sailing 8-10 days ago and had no issue with bees, etc. There are two solar vents (port and starboard) on the cabin roof which the owner believes were the ingress point for the bees. I have no idea.

Dean, I have been reading about your issue with the holding tank with much sadness and dismay. If someone with your experience and attention to detail can have these issues there is very little hope for me. I think maybe I should just buy a sailboat, forget the survey, sea trial, etc., and cast my fate to luck and to Neptune.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Other small Alberg designs to consider....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Sea Hunt,

If you really like the boats designed by Carl Alberg, like the Typhoon and many other Cape Dorys, and the Sea Sprite 23, you may also want to consider some of his other designs. They all share the classic good looks that are a dead giveaway that they came from Carl's pen.

Bristol 19/Corinthian Conquest (20-footer)
South Coast 21
South Coast 23
Alberg 22
Kittiwake (23-footer)
Pearson Ariel (26-footer)
Pearson Commander (26-footer)

Hope this helps you find a boat.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Here's the whole list of Alberg designs

Post by RIKanaka »

http://www.alberg30.org/CarlAlberg/designs.html

Interesting departures from the usual full-keel design are the centerboard Pearson Hawk 16'

and the fin-keel South Coast 21'.

According to the SC Owner's Assn website, "Hollis Metcalf, the owner of the South Coast factory, wanted a light weight daysailer, approximately 21 feet in length, that would be used primarily on inland lakes and near-shore coastal areas. The first design submittal by Alberg was for a full-keeled open cockpit daysailer much like the Ensign."

"Hollis sent the design drawings back to Carl Alberg with the direction that the boat was to have a fin keel and self draining cockpit. Mr. Alberg at first refused to make the changes, since this was against the traditional thinking at the time, but finally agreed to the requested modifications."

He never seemed to do it again. Can anyone here who has ever sailed either boat comment on how they handle?

Regardless of how it looks to fish and divers, they're still pretty to the eye above water.
Last edited by RIKanaka on May 2nd, '07, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Cathy and Bob:

Thank you very much for the websites identifying Mr. Alberg's designs. I looked at some, but not all, of these sites some time ago when I first got interested in Cape Dory sailboats.

Candidly, I have fallen in love with Cape Dory sailboats. I am not sure I can explain why but assume I do not need to do so on this board. :) I sort of have tunnel vision on this issue.

I am considering looking at this particular Sea Sprite 23 (once she is fumigated of bees, etc.) primarily because she is berthed right here in South Florida. From the photos, and from the little I saw of her earlier today, she seems to be in good condition and does have classic lines.

The current owner's purchase price of $10,000 in March/April 2005 ago is almost beyond belief although he did show me a marine survey from an apparently legitimate surveyor that listed the FMV for this Sea Sprite 23 in March 2005 at $12,000 :!: The owner also showed me receipts for hull and keel repairs, etc. (recommended by the surveyor) that totaled $3,300.

The owner also apparently has a lot of money. He bought a condo on an exclusive island on Miami Beach for about $650,000 :!:

Still, from all I have learned and researched, a 1976 Sea Sprite 23 in good condition (without a trailer, without a diesel, etc.) has an asking price in the $3,500 - $4,500 range. Presumably the actual selling price(s) are a little less. The current owner is a very nice gentleman and very much a businessman. It is surprising he would have paid almost twice what she is reasonably worth unless he "fell in love". We all know what happens when you fall head over heals in love with a girl. No expense is too great :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Dean Abramson

I get it

Post by Dean Abramson »

Robert,

I can understand your wanting a card-carrying Cape Dory. Hold out for what you want, I say, but the more boats you see, the better. And you never know what might catch your eye. Ask Clay.

I may be done with the holding tank and bilge repairs; finished up today (I think), and I believe it went well. Full report later after it cures and I test it.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
bill2

Cosmetic ? ? ?

Post by bill2 »

Sea Hunt wrote:Hello Bly:

He says there is "cosmetic damage" on the starboard side from an errant boater docking next to him.

Given my track record, I am not holding out a lot of hope, although I do have fingers appropriately crossed. :wink:

SeaHunt

I once went to see a cd25 - the owner said it just needed a little cleaning up - the delamination was so bad I didn't need a surveyor to walk away from the boat.

In your case I'd want a real good look see at the hull - but also that $3.3 K damage to keel and rudder ? ? ?

Careful with this one . . .

and as usual - Good Luck