New Open Cockpit Typhoon owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ed Haley

CD Ty Daysailer

Post by Ed Haley »

Mike called me one afternoon and wanted me to describe what an open CD Daysailer looked like. He was looking at a Typhoon for sale and he thought it might be the rare open version. As soon as he described it to me, I said if he didn't buy it, I was on my way to PA to sign the papers! :D That very day I thought I'd also bought another CD10 but she sold it to a higher bidder even as I made plans to drive to CT to tow it home.

Yeah, once you get addicted to small boats, the sensation never leaves you. I tow my CD10 behind either my CD330 while cruising in the 1000 Islands or behind my RV while camping in the Adirondacks.
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Too much for EOS

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Unfortunately our 44' EOS won't handle her either :-(

What a yacht tender she would make!

Rit
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

Oswego John wrote:
Dick Barthel wrote:Hey Rit,

From OJ's description you really struck it rich. Your timing is remarkable.

Dick

Struck it rich? Nah, not even close. I'm too embarrassed to make known the details and what came with the deal. :oops:

O J

Dick B,

What I didn't say, but implied by the above, is that Rit didn't merely buy the Daysailer, the term Highway Robbery or in this case, PIRACY might be better descriptive of the transaction.

I haven't the heart to mention what a little price Rit did pay for *ALL* that came with the deal. It's next to unbelievable. My guess is that the seller didn't have the vaguest notion of what he was selling.

Dreams are made of this,
O J
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Re: Daysailer

Post by GrFa »

Oswego John wrote:
Oswego John wrote:
Dick Barthel wrote:Hey Rit,

From OJ's description you really struck it rich. Your timing is remarkable.

Dick

Struck it rich? Nah, not even close. I'm too embarrassed to make known the details and what came with the deal. :oops:

O J

Dick B,

What I didn't say, but implied by the above, is that Rit didn't merely buy the Daysailer, the term Highway Robbery or in this case, PIRACY might be better descriptive of the transaction.

I haven't the heart to mention what a little price Rit did pay for *ALL* that came with the deal. It's next to unbelievable. My guess is that the seller didn't have the vaguest notion of what he was selling.

Dreams are made of this,
O J
Did it come with a CD10 as well? haha
Greg Falk
Oswego John

What Did It Come With?

Post by Oswego John »

Quote: [GrFa wrote]
"Did it come with a CD10 as well? haha"

Hi GrFa,

Better than that. Much better.

Sorry, my lips are sealed. About all I can safely say is that it has davits across the fantail.

Think spring.
O J
plumber

Now we have a mystery

Post by plumber »

It sounds like they had a CD10 for a hundred bucks and threw in the daysailer just to get out of the yard!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think now is the time for some details befor we read about a boat theft in the paper!!!
Plumber
s.v. LaVida

OJ this is your ball ole friend ;-)

Post by s.v. LaVida »

:wink: As a point of honor, I make it a point to never discuss transactions after they are completed.

However I will say that IMHO, I believe the owner wanted her to go to someone who is a diehard CDer and would take care of her. I think his price reflected his prudent decision.
Rit
Oswego John

Typhoon Open Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

To all,

Well, yes. I want everyone to realize that we're just goofin' round about Rit picking up a new (to him) CD. I wouldn't want anyone to get any thoughts of impropriety or wild speculation.

And now for the rest of the story, the real story.

Mike keeps his brand new (new to everybody, including himself) forty-something foot SV Eos at a shipyard in Erie, Pa.

About a week or so ago, while checking on Eos, he spotted a nifty little open CD Daysailer in the boatyard. It has just gone on the market earlier that day. Mike gobbled it up. After the purchase was completed, one of the yard hands said that he didn't even know that it was for sale or he would have bought it. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

What happened is that Mike stumbled upon an excellent boat, in excellent shape, with an excellent complement of extras that were included in the excellent purchase price.

The bottom line is that this is one of those once in a lifetime, rare occasions that you hear about in those stories that begin with "Once upon a time".

It is ironical that someone, with due diligence to the nth degree, can search for years all over the country for the right boat and something like this happens. Go figure.

BTW, when I stated that there were davits on the fantail, my nose grew an inch.

Happy sailing with your new Fun Boat, Mike.
We're happy (maybe a little envious) for you.
O J
And that's all from me on the subject.
10-4, over and out.
marilou

Did you get a survey?

Post by marilou »

I was wondering how "Sea Hunt" was doing in his search. Sometimes, when you see the right boat, you just buy it and move it...and enjoy her...
plumber

^%#&%#*&

Post by plumber »

I think I would rather hear the "other" version. It's more fun, that way and makes for good bander at the bar! Although I'm sure there's a good story to be told, the mystery is still the best seller.
Plumber
Dick Barthel

Tall Tales

Post by Dick Barthel »

OJ,,

It must be all that snow you keep getting up in Oswego!

As for Mike's deal - it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (except maybe me!) :D

Dick
s.v. LaVida

just dumb luck

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Now, as Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest of the story................

As you know, I was in Erie, PA, doing work on EOS our 44 Hunter DS. Deciding that old tinned sardines from last years locker wasn't good fair for lunch I decided to drive down to State St. grab some lunch and see the new convention center they are building on the waterfront in Erie (Its a really beautiful building).

Knowing there was an on the way shortcut through the mini-golf parking lot, I pointed my trusty XB Eastward.

As I passed a marina enroute, I caught a flash of our famous CD sheer. MMMMMMmmmmmm I thought. That's gotta be a Typhoon. Not that I was looking for one, I wasn't!

So I drove around a bit until I could see into the fence and spy the little ship. Sure enough it was a Cape Dory and wow, it was a Typhoon and holy gee, its the same kind of open cockpit Typhoon that was recently in GOB. A little tickle of excitement passed through my body. Somebody really had a beautiful little boat and I admitted to myself I was a little jealous.

As I sat there taking in her lines, a pick up truck that was blocking my total view of the bow, pulled away and there, on her port side, gleamed a "For Sale" sign that read "For Sail" to my eyes. I was totally smitten. NO, NO, NO I don't need another hole in my wallet.

Like a drug crazed addict, I looked around until I was finally able to find the entrance to the marina and get inside. All the while telling myself I'd just look and inquire for informational sake. Huh! Boy oh boy can a sailor really BS himself. I quickly plucked the phone number from her tiny hull and dialed up the owner.

Having just posted the sign an hour before, he was a little flabergasted that he had a call already, but I quickly got the details and told him I would call him back!

A quick call to OJ, then Ed for their valued opinions, soon had me more than excited, I was in full boat buying fever. After the quick chat with lads I knew I'd found a beautiful and rare Typhoon.

A quick check of my bank account and I was the proud owner of my second CD.

Finding her tucked away in her hidey hole was a real million to one shot and for some reason I think it was destiny.

Finding the trailer to transport her is another beautiful story, but I'll save that for later.

Rit
plumber

The rest of the story

Post by plumber »

Mike' Your story was truly moving and I can't wait to hear the rest. Sounds like you found a beauty. Having messed about in small boats all my life I find myself quite jealous!
again----congrats!!
BTW- give me a call when your able.
Plumber
Dick Barthel

Great Story

Post by Dick Barthel »

Mike,

That is a fantastic story and it proves the old adage that you never know what waits around the corner. What we all need you to do now is go for a drive somewhere, anywhere with Sea Hunt and help him find his boat!

Between you and OJ you going to corner the market on Typhoons.

I hope I get to sail on her some day.

Cheers,

Dick