reefing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Carl Is Right On, Again

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:So what is proper, heaving to, hoving to, hove to?
Heaving to will leave you hove to.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Another correct term question

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Then what is the correct past tense term for when you are bent over the rail, loosing you lunch (heaving)? Is it just hoved, or maybe have hoved?

ARRRGH, I've caught it, I have dreaded CDCZV. I have to run and put another post on the "Freewheeling propellers: the chopper theory " thread. I can't help myself! Please forgive me!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Another correct term question

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:Then what is the correct past tense term for when you are bent over the rail, loosing you lunch (heaving)? Is it just hoved, or maybe have hoved?
"Hove to" refers to the boat. "Hove over" would refer to the crew.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Heaving

Post by Steve Laume »

The captain was kind enough to heave to so that the crew member in distress could hove over the rail and heave in relative comfort while the boat was hove to. Heave, hove, hooved. Hang, hanged, the English language never made any sense to me, Steve.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Re: Another correct term question

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Neil Gordon wrote:"Hove to" refers to the boat. "Hove over" would refer to the crew.
Not "Hoved over", or is that too close to what one is, the day after the wild celebration of winning the latest regatta in your CD?

Sailing has too many techical terms!