Looking For Feedback

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bill2

recollection

Post by bill2 »

Clay

A couple other recollections came to mind.

Very good the PO added the ss mast supports ( they should transfer the load to the ( oak ? ) supports on either side of the cabin sole and then the hull/keel ).

Also cool the PO added the forward lower shrouds - factory standard after around HIN 125 to 150 - though not on mine when I got her.

I remember thru hulls were an issue - cockpit and sinks ( ? ) were only fiberglass molded into the hull. If still there sooner rather than later they should be replaced with proper bronze seacocks.

On mine the cockpit lockers were accessed by removable teak ( or mahogoney ? ) panels that could come loose in a blow or such and should be replaced if not already.

Atomic 4's are incredibly easy to keep running as long as you run the bilge blowers and always check for gas fumes/leaks - they've passed the test of time. Oh and check the gas tank - it should have been replaced by now otherwise the ( monel ? ) tank will have deteriorated where it came into contact with its supports - sea water/vibration and such. Also the tank should have grounding between the tank/fill/hull etc to prevent static electricity ( explosive if static isn't cleared before starting to refuel ).

As already mentioned - if you should for any reason hesitate - please provide the owners contact info as she really appears ( on the web site ) to be refitted very well and any sailor should be proud to own her - esp at the price you're talking about.

:wink:

Good Luck
Duncan Maio

And about the A-4 . . .

Post by Duncan Maio »

Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Clay Stalker

Not the boat for me

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi all:

Many thanks for the encouragement and input, I appreciate it! Well, I went down to R.I. yesterday to examine Allways, the Triton 28. She is a sound boat, very nicely restored, but not quite what I had hoped. Mark Parker did a fine job restoring her, but he has been sailing her now for 5 years, and she is looking a bit tired, in need of some TLC. Nothing major, but because of her age, she is a regular maintenance craft to keep her from leaking etc. She is loaded with systems, and this is what I am trying to get away from. I am looking for more simplicity in my future sailing, and also more performance. Allways is a rugged, well-built boat that would be perfect for someone who enjoys working on boats and appreciates a classic beauty. I also have decided that I don't want to take on the Atomic 4. While this particular one has been rebuilt and is in good shape, I have learned to be very proficient with diesels and their maintenance, and want to stay with them.

A couple of you have mentioned that if I don't want this boat, that they would be interested, and someone from this board has contacted Mark. I encourage you to pursue this, as I am no longer interested, and I know Mark will sell her for a very reasonable price....I believe he told me the asking price was 10K but that he would take less....a great opportunity for someone looking for this boat. We spent yesterday building a frame and covering her, so she is winterizing at Norton Marine in East Greenwich.

Again, thanks for your great input, and I will continue my search for the next boat....

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH