Cruising Spin or Drifter?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

The August 2006 issue of Practical Sailor (Vol. 32, No. 8) has an article on asymmetric spinnakers. The article discusses the prominent manufacturers (Doyle, Hood, North, UK, etc.) the design intentions of "A-sails" (their term not mine) and a list of about 30 sail lofts with telephone numbers.

For a rookie tadpole sailor like me, it was an interesting and informative article.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Paul D.

Drifter or....?

Post by Paul D. »

Russel,

I once used what was called by the boat owner, a "reacher" which was a large unhanked Genny of lightweight cloth - almost spinnaker like.

I have aboard Femme what was called by the PO a Drifter, I even wrote it on the bag, but when I set it, it looked more like an asym to me, and could only get good shape with the wind on the beam and aft. So I have been confised between the two ever since.

When I look at my sail inventory now, all three of them, I start to think of what will work, not what I their named. I get overwhelmed otherwise!

Paul
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Russell,

I have a .75 oz assym spin that's set flying, that is not hanked on,
and a 1.5oz drifter that is hanked on.

Of the two I prefer the drifter. Its heavier weight means I can carry it off the wind up to 15 knots. Being hanked on also makes it easier to control for me when single handing.

If the clew is cut high it can be sheeted off the end of the main boom downwind so the spin pole need not be set at all.

Of the two sails I have used the assym spin for about one hour in the last 4 months. I have used the drifter far more, often for days at a time. I would still be using it except for the fact I blew out one panel. It is right at the top of my list for repairs when I reach New Zealand.

Ultimately I think the prevailing wind conditions would determine the choice of sail.

My drifter can do most of what the my spin can do and it points higher and is more durable. In an either/or situation I'd rather have the drifter.

Take care
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!