Headliner painting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

suggestions

Post by Troy Scott »

Ron,

For tough mildew stains, try straight bleach, not diluted. For tough stains on gelcoat, try acetone. If that doesn't work, you can always use very fine sandpaper. For the buildings in New Orleans that have severe mold problems after the flooding caused by Katrina, they're using a fumigation technique that kills ALL the mold and turns it to a powder that easily vacuums away. I have no idea what the chemical is.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Mold and Mildew Stains

Post by Oswego John »

Troy,

That's what I usually use. I like Clorox straight from the container for the hard problems. I dilute it some for general swabbing down.

I think that you have to get all of the mold spores as possible early on because if you don't, they regenerate and multiply. Try to keep ahead of the problem as much as possible.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told that some of the cheaper off brands of bleach aren't full strength. They are partly watered down when you buy them.

Be careful using this stuff in confined quarters. Keep well ventilated.

Good luck,
O J
Dean Abramson

Vinyl

Post by Dean Abramson »

Russell,
Please don't do the Pacific Seacraft vinyl thing. I think that is amazingly cheesy for such a supposed marquee boat. Any paint job you do will beat that and be worthy of a Cape Dory.
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine