Replacing Datamarine Instruments CD36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Update on this old thread

Post by bottomscraper »

Dean, the only thing we purchased from DMI was a new speed transducer. We have a theory that it may have been our fault. Since we bring the boat home via truck each year the 55MPH might have been a bit much for the transducer. From now on we will use the blank off plug on the road!

Since we started this thread, here is what we decided. The cost to replace the Datamarine wind and speed transducers was close to the price of a new Raymarine ST60+ Wind Speed Depth combo pack with the boat show discount. We decided to go that route rather than throw more money at the 15 year old Datamarine instruments. We also needed to purchase a new instrument pod and a different bronze depth transducer so we could install it in the molded in fairing that we have on Mahalo. So by the time we got done it cost about twice as much to go all new. I did all the work myself so labor wasn't an issue. All the work is done except for the wind transducer which will need to wait until spring.

The speed transducer core from Raymarine would not fit in the same housing as the Datamarine, but the outside diameter of the housing is the same so I removed the old one (a pain) and installed the new one. I was able to get a bronze long stem depth transducer with the same form factor as the Datamarine but electrically compatible with the ST60+ instruments from:

Gemeco Marine Accessories LLC
1141 S. Ron McNair Blvd.
Lake City, South Carolina 29560

Phone 843-210-7000

Fax 843-210-7170

They are owned by Airmar but also sell other transducers, this one was actually made by Radarsonics.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Boyd

Data Marine out Ray Marine in

Post by Boyd »

Hi Dean:

Santa brought me a new suite of Ray Marine instruments to replace my old Data Marine. I will soon have the old set out and in need of a new home.

My depth and speed log work fine. The depth transducer is just 2 years old. The wind instrument was working fine till Wilma took off the mast unit. Its more to replace that unit than I want to go so I am replacing everything.

I will be hauling in March so if you are interested in my old instruments make me an offer.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
mahalocd36

Rich forgot to mention....

Post by mahalocd36 »

Another reason for "out with DMI, in with Raymarine" was we decided to upgrade our Autohelm 6000 as well to the new Raymarine one. If you have Raymarine wind instruments it can talk to them and sail x-degrees off the wind. (we'll have to see how well that actually works). We also got the wireless remote to control it, which then you can see all the data that's on the Seatalk bus (which now includes our instruments) from anywhere on the boat.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Russell

Re: Rich forgot to mention....

Post by Russell »

mahalocd36 wrote:We also got the wireless remote to control it, which then you can see all the data that's on the Seatalk bus (which now includes our instruments) from anywhere on the boat.
Dont forget to rig a lanyard to that wireless remote, you know its just screaming to jump overboard. :wink:
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Russell

Post by Russell »

Oh an now that you have gone all raymarine, a handy thing is the Graphic Display, its an ST60 insturment that can display anything you program it to display, its a terrific repeater for the navstation:

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Prod ... ct_id=3452

I have been very pleased with my Raymarine insturments and am very glad I tossed the old datamarine rather then refurbishing them.

I assume the autopilot you bought was the S1? I am very curious to hear how it performs once you get the boat out again next year. The CD36 is boarderline for its specs, and loaded it definately goes over the recommended max. Yet I have still been considering getting one. My old cetrek below decks autopilot is powerful, but downright stupid (like most old autopilots). With the windvane I cant justify a whole new below decks autopilot for thousands of dollars, but a S1 Wheel pilot is awfully appealing for use when motoring when there isnt enough wind to sail or use the windvane.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
bottomscraper

New Auto Pilot S2G

Post by bottomscraper »

Russell wrote:
I assume the autopilot you bought was the S1? I am very curious to hear how it performs once you get the boat out again next year. The CD36 is boarderline for its specs, and loaded it definately goes over the recommended max.
No we went with the S2G on the recommendation of the Raymarine rep at the boat show. Considering all the junk we carry the S1 seemed marginal. Our old Autohelm 6000 already had a "Type 1 Linear Drive" that is compatible (and almost identical to the current series). The S2G is rated at 24,000 lbs with that drive. Since changing to a different drive type would have been a big task Raymarine seemed to be the path of least resistance. The hardest part of the installation was making a mount for the new rudder reference (the old system didn't have one). I made one out of King Starboard.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com