Suggestions for CD upgrade for family of 5

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Thanks Randy

Post by SeaBelle »

I love these stories. These kids will never be the same, their world will never be small, they know adventure, they know the difference between risk taking and recklessness.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Bob Emmons

What Size Boat?

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hi Carl,
When I vacation on board with my family: wife, daughter and dog, a CD30 at times can be cramped. But, we make do for 2 to 3 weeks (The longest was for a month in Maine). 75% of the time when I daysail, I am alone, so a 30 foot boat is still small enough to enjoy and handle with just myself. You must also factor in the rest of the season that you are not on a cruise..is your entire family going to be onboard most of the time? If so, then 5 people can get crapmed on a 33 footer at times in the cockpit and down below. There are other factors to consider: draft on sailing area ( I would not be able to sail a boat with a 5 foot draft very well in Barnegat Bay, NJ), tankage, etc. Take your time and make an informed decision only after you know your personal needs! Good Luck in your choice!

Bob Emmons
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
rtbates

me too Jack

Post by rtbates »

Hi Jack:

I better be careful with that greeting!!

I couldn't agree more. The Oriental web page has had some very interesting stories of very interesting people on very interesting boats. And a cool harbor cam!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Randy

Post by SeaBelle »

Your name must evoke ribald reactions.

Never greet me with 'Hi Jack' at an airport. ;-)
(but when I meet a namesake - a pair of Jacks are openers)
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I am surpised--and perhaps a bit disappointed--that the obvious solution has yet to be discussed.

Consider your dinghy as a sort of "guest cottage" for children, and .....

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where space needn't be the final frontier), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Getting Too Crowded???

Post by Oswego John »

Hang some of the scurvy blighters by their thumbs from the yardarm. Aaaarrrgh

Cap'n Pucebeard (another aaaarrgh for emphasis)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The kids don't take up much space on the boat while under way. They tend to go forward or down below. some times we tow (troll) them off the stern or hang them in the rigging. My son particularly enjoys laying in the foot of the main sail. Its all the stuff that is the problem. Finding places to sleep is the easy part. I don't know who worked out the tankage porportions but they must have all been guys in uncrowded sailing areas. Lets see on my boat it's 60 GAL of water plus a variety of other beverages going into a 15 GAL holding tank!? I guess the offshore capabilities of our boats figure prominently into the tankage allotments. A day or so to get beyond 3 miles and then another day or two to make port again at the end of your voyage. Plenty of holding tank capacity if you can discharge overboard most of the time. Factor in that there is no pleasant way of determining just how full the tank is and the holding tank becomes one of the only weak points of our boats, Steve.
rtbates

Jack

Post by rtbates »

Not too much since high school! I do remember though not wanting to be in the Army Quartermaster Corps.

I do get a chuckle sometimes from older folks when I mention my cousin Norman and his mother waiting for me back at the motel. Younger folks don't get the joke.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

I thought I would chime in after we have had a CD28 for almost three years. I actually just had to register, haven't posted since the old format.

We are a family of four, I am the youngest "the son", at 20. With all of us aboard daysailing is usually a chore. We have never spent a night on her, but I don't think it would be too much fun.

One thing I would consider is the skill level of those sailing with you. In blustery conditions we usually have everyone sit in the cockpit for safety's sake. Someone who does not know much about sailing could easily be knocked around if they are on the foredeck or on a side deck.

We have actually considered selling and going larger, or downsizing to a strictly daysailer with a larger cockpit. Just for comparison's sake, the cockpit in our Com-Pac 16 is the same size as the CD28. Good luck in your search, oh and we also looked at 25, 27 (the 28 is much bigger) and Island Packets. The IP-26 was downright roomy.
Greg Falk