Mahalo in Maine.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

South Port Marine

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Nemo,

Tell mom and dad that had they sailed into Portland Harbor (almost to the bridge) and gotten a slip from South Port Marine in South Portland, they would have only been about 2 or 3 blocks from Shaw's! Anyway, it's something to remember for your next sailing trip to Casco Bay. The marina is also a short walk from Mill Creek Waterfront Market.

Hope mom and dad took you for a nice walk in the park along the Eastern Prom (Fort Allen Park I think).

Have a great trip back to MA,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Clay Stalker

I am enjoying this

Post by Clay Stalker »

Melissa and Rich:

Thanks so much for the dlogs!! I have been enjoying so much following the journey of your pooch and his owners...I miss sailing in Maine, really loved it up there. Have also enjoyed reading about Dean Abramson's new boat and Cathy and Bruce's trip. Sounds like this season worked out well for the group. Also, am wondering if you guys are still planning to head south.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
mahalocd36

nemo's final update

Post by mahalocd36 »

Nemo made his final update today...we are back!
http://www.sailmahalo.com/Maine2006/NemoMaine.html
Pictures will get organized in the next day or so.

Maine was absolutely beautiful. We had the motor running more than we would have liked, but ran into little fog and managed to not catch a lobster pot! For the most part, weather was great. We waited out the remains of Ernesto in Plymouth, which, talking to some people who hadn't, was a good decision.

As many had recommended to us - I would highly recommend cruising Maine if you haven't already. Lots of wonderful anchorages, very friendly people and nice scenery. Most harbormaster's/marina people were very helpful, good for visitors. We may have to go back next year!

Our dinghy repair held up wonderfully - would highly recommend East Coast Inflatable Repair, in New Bedford, MA if you ever need one.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
bottomscraper

More Pictures From Our Maine Trip

Post by bottomscraper »

Well I finally got around to uploading more pictures! This link is for the index page:

Mahalo's Maine Trip Pictures 2006

Picture of CD32 Scrimshaw at sunset Isle of Shoals 8/30/06:
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Troy Scott

Thanks, Nemo!

Post by Troy Scott »

Nemo and Folks,

Thanks for the wonderful photo album. I really want to sail that area someday soon!
Regards,
Troy Scott
David van den Burgh

Beautiful Photos

Post by David van den Burgh »

Rich and Melissa,

Great photos! Talk about gorgeous weather. Thanks for sharing.

David
Russell

Post by Russell »

Wow, thats a lot of photos! Took awhile to load on this wimpy wifi connection, but well worth it. Did you ever go ashore though? Maine must be nice on shore too, I only see photos from the boat! Seriously though, some real awsome shots you got.

I took particular interest in one however:

Where did you find an actual bronze cowl? My plastic ones look awful, but when I looked at replacing them I could only find chromed bronze, stainless and brass. I would love to get a proper bronze one like you have on Mahalo. Did it come with the boat? I am hoping you put it on yourselfs so you can tell me where you got it, looks perfect.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Russell wrote:Wow, thats a lot of photos! Took awhile to load on this wimpy wifi connection, but well worth it. Did you ever go ashore though? Maine must be nice on shore too, I only see photos from the boat! Seriously though, some real awsome shots you got.

I took particular interest in one however:

Where did you find an actual bronze cowl? My plastic ones look awful, but when I looked at replacing them I could only find chromed bronze, stainless and brass. I would love to get a proper bronze one like you have on Mahalo. Did it come with the boat? I am hoping you put it on yourselfs so you can tell me where you got it, looks perfect.

That's funny - we went ashore at least twice a day for dog walks, but tended not to take the $$camera in the wet dinghy. We got a dry bag for it late in the trip but you are right, we don't seem to have shore pictures except from Frenchboro at the beginning. Funny.

Don't know why Rich took a picture of the cowl. Not sure what artistic statement he was going for there....but, good news for you, we DID add them just last year to the boat (and they are already nice and green :-)
from mariners hardware. They are a perfect screw in fit for the original cowls. So it was no work - unscrew old, screw in new. I assume yours are the same...? The ring is already bronze but the cowl was plastic.

But, for the aft- engine vent ones, the cowls we had were all plastic, including the rings, and they were cracked and needed rebedding anyways, so that was more work, taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in.

Mariner's Hardware Loves cape dory owners and gives a discount. http://www.marinershardware.com/ProdCowlVent.php Especially since it's boat show season.....
Last edited by mahalocd36 on Sep 20th, '06, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Russell,

I hope Nemo, Melissa and Rich don't mind my answering for them, but Bruce and I crewed with them a few days so I can answer your question. Hopefully they will too.

With Nemo along, there's no way they weren't going ashore even if it was just to for 'walkies'!

Be sure to read Nemo's "dlog" at: www.sailmahalo.com/Maine2006/NemoMaine.html
In it he describes some of his forays ashore with his parents -- like sitting at the bar in a restaurant in Rockland or being swarmed by mosquitos on Vinalhaven.

Anyway, Maine has some of the most beautiful cruising grounds on the east coast so if you get a chance to explore the northeast be sure to give yourself enough time to make it all the way up to Maine and back.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the info! Seriously big ouch on the price though, though once I paint my decks I know I will splurg for a pair, so saving the website for then (current plan is to paint in turkey next year, I nixed painting this year due to other projects). I notice the interior is painted, do you know if they offered an option to leave it natural? I saw they do "custom colors" for $8. My rings on the dorades are actually plastic, not bronze, so I would need to replace the ring too, but thats not a big deal at all.

So you replaced your engine room cowls too? Certainly more reasonably priced. I would probably go for that as well, but I am giving some serious thought to relocating them anyways, they really get in the way back there and ship a lot of water due to lack of dorades, but thats a whole different conversation.

Thanks for the info!
Russell
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Russell wrote:Thanks for the info! Seriously big ouch on the price though, though once I paint my decks I know I will splurg for a pair, so saving the website for then (current plan is to paint in turkey next year, I nixed painting this year due to other projects). I notice the interior is painted, do you know if they offered an option to leave it natural? I saw they do "custom colors" for $8. My rings on the dorades are actually plastic, not bronze, so I would need to replace the ring too, but thats not a big deal at all.

So you replaced your engine room cowls too? Certainly more reasonably priced. I would probably go for that as well, but I am giving some serious thought to relocating them anyways, they really get in the way back there and ship a lot of water due to lack of dorades, but thats a whole different conversation.

Thanks for the info!
Just a guess but I think they would leave them natural. They seemed very easy to deal with. The cowls came with rings and deck plate caps. I ordered all of the caps with the "star" drive to fit a winch handle. We used the 3" low profile cowl vents for the engine vents. We also purchased the "hose adapters" for the engine vents. Yea they were a bit $$ but the plastic ones aren't that cheap either. They were highly polished when they arrived, it took a few months for them to get green like we wanted :D
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Russell

Post by Russell »

mahalocd36 wrote: That's funny - we went ashore at least twice a day for dog walks, but tended not to take the $$camera in the wet dinghy. We got a dry bag for it late in the trip but you are right, we don't seem to have shore pictures except from Frenchboro at the beginning. Funny.
I thought it was worth mentioning here that I am on my 3rd digital camera in 18th months. The first two died purely from exposure to salt and humidity in the air, even though I kept it dry and safe. Both were good quality cameras too. So for my third camera I bought a waterproof one made by pentax. Granted its not a cool high end SLR, but for about $350 in St. Martin I got a camera that can be submerged, though I have no plans for underwater photography, it should hold up far better to the elements and i dont have to worry about dinghy rides and taking photos on sloppy days. I highly recommend it as a boat camera.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/p ... ion--optio

The only unfortunate limiting factor is the limited zoom, since the zoom optics all have to remain internal for waterproofing. But on a moving sail boat 3x zoom is pretty good anyways.
Russell
bottomscraper

Water Proof Camera!

Post by bottomscraper »

Russell, that looks like a perfect stocking stuffer! (Hint Hint Melissa!) Actually we have a older Y2K vintage Canon A20 with a waterproof case but the battery life terrible which makes it near useless. We sent it back to Canon and they claimed there was nothing wrong with it. The camera I used for most of the pictures is a Nikon D70 (SLR) which I really like but it's not waterproof. The pictures on the Mahalo web site have been reduced in size using freewareEasy Thumbnails so that they can be posted on the CD board as well as making them a bit more bandwidth friendly.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

New digital camera

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Following up on the mention of new digital cameras.

I just purchased an Olympus Stylus 720sw camera.

Its waterproof to 10' for 30 minutes and is shockproof for a drop of 5'.

We've been shooting the heck out of everything and I'm REALLY pleased with this camera and its functions.

Although a bit dear, I think it was worth the price.

sea u,
Rit