Will I get to go sailing more?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob G.

Retirement

Post by Bob G. »

While scrollng through the thread, I was hoping that I would see something fromO.J. and Neil. You guys seem to have a handle on the subject.
I just turned 58 in December and got bitten by the sailing bug 5 years ago.Since then, my wife and I sold our house of 20 years, and bought a much older house on the water,bought my first boat CD TY Sofia. Over the New Years holiday, like so many, we looked over our lives. We discovered that we are being driven by our love of the water.
I`m ecstatic to know that I found a passion that I can bring into my senior years.

If you love to sail, you WILL sail.

Best of luck,
Bob G.
rtbates

congratulations

Post by rtbates »

Congratulations on making it to retirement Jerry.

I'm green with envy.
Like others have said just make sailing a priority and it will happen.

My wife retired 2 years ago after teaching for 30 years.
She has lots of hobbies and loves every minute.

I've got 7 years 10months and 13 days to go!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Retirement

Post by Jim Davis »

First congratulations to Jerry and Randy - hang in there.

The answer is sorta a yes and no. As others have pointed out most of your friends will remain available on weekends (we want to encourage them to keep working to support those of us that have "graduated"). You will find greater opportunities to take longer trips, no longer tied to vacations or having to call in "Boss I'm sick - over".

Last winter my wife and I winterized by taking the boat to Key West, next summer it will be Nova Scotia and perhaps back south.

Of course you will find other pressing things to do. As was pointed out you have lost the freedom to procrastinate on the Honey Do's. Of course you have lost a few other things like sick days, comp time and holidays.

Get out and enjoy. It is a hard life, but you are up to it.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei