CD TY 45 degree Heel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Rollergirl

Guess I'm really thick, Paul

Post by Rollergirl »

You could explain to me how your analogy is applicable?

FYI: I've got an SUV, and I've had a Ty, and I currently own an Alberg boat.
So what did you mean?

Bill
Last edited by Rollergirl on Sep 2nd, '05, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Comments.....

Post by DanaVin »

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, also. We've had GE over to 40 plus degrees and the water was running right on top of the gunnels. This was done deliberately, slowly and under control just to see if she could do it. We didn't dare go any more as we thought we'd be standing up at any more heeling.
We are installing 2 sliding latches per companionway board (we have 3 boards) this weekend (I hope!).
Even though we have installed a Rule 3800 (?) automatic bilge pump that can outpump our garden hose full blast when placed in the bilge. Also, I don't like the small scuppers in the cockpit. I've not been pooped but I'll bet it takes a while for the water to leave. And if its that rough out there you can expect another large amount of water sooner or later. Future plans call for another high volume pump in the cockpit area.
Our cushions are just a bit longer than they should be. This was deliberately done so they would be snug and have to be pushed into place. If conditions warrant, we have long straps that can go around them and under the lazarrette covers.
We did install the lifeline from WM last weekend and tried out the jacklines (?) attached to our Sospenders. Works great!
However, all of this is strictly for those times we hope we never encounter but will sooner or later. Normally, we keep GE at around 10 to 15 degrees and sailing around 4 to 5 knots. This is more relaxing and enjoyable for me and anyone aboard.
Oh, by the way, I always wear my Sospenders even in San Diego Bay. Especially after the sailboat got run over by the naval warship last year and a waverunner T-Boned a sailboat!
It may not look manly or macho but unless I feel 100% safe without it, I'll wear it, thank you. I usually wear a light weight long sleeve shirt over it as it keeps the sun off my arms and neck. I had some skin cancer removed a few times and no sense in making the situation worse.
Besides, half of the folks out there (day sailors, those in rental boats, high speed power boats, waverunners, etc) don't know the rules of the road anyway, let alone how to control their vessels under extreme conditions. I feel safer ten to thirty miles offshore than I do in the bay!
Thanks
Dana
"Gladys Erzella"
1977 CD25, #541
San Diego Bay
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Comments.....

Post by Neil Gordon »

DanaVin wrote:I feel safer ten to thirty miles offshore than I do in the bay!
I'm always extra wary if I can see land.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698