On Board Guests

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

elbows wychulis

A "schubert way" with words

Post by elbows wychulis »

Great read.resource for your friend's wife.
Dr. Bjorn Nordenstrom based at Karolinska hospital in Sweeden.
Inventor of biopsy needle. Has mapped the body's electrical system. Has developed treatment protocol ,outpatient procedure,
with a 50% success rate treating Stage IV cancers especially breast tumours.Invited by China to train their Doctors with his technique.
Was a member of Nobel Price Committee . Helped select winner for Nobel Prize in Medicine.Have copy of video BBC did showing his treatment protocol for Breast Cancer.
segue
Back in the 70's there was a great interest in Wind Harps , instruments that sounded from just the force of the Wind. I wonder
if a Cape Dory has a vibrational frequency and "sounds" as she sails?
I inserted this last question to meet the legal minimum requirements for a Cape Dory post.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CURMUDGEON?? - Ess??

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

So there you have it. It seems that there are two sides of the coin when considering who and who not to go sailing with. It all boils down to tastes and preferences.

It is perfectly alright to enjoy a sail without being obligated to instruct or keep your passengers amused. On the other hand, if you have the stomach for it, sharing your sailing expertise with others could have it's own rewards. It's a personal choice.

Up here in Oswego there is a lot of sailing going on. Lots of class racing as well as interclass, handicapped racing. It's a way of life around here. It is handed down from generation to generation. Usually the youngsters are introduced into sailing by their parents, grandparents, etc.

However, there are other kids who don't fall into this category. Every year the Oswego Maritime Foundation (OMF) offers free sailing lessons to any child who would like to learn to sail. Well, let me tell you, these youngsters are rank beginners. They know from nothing. They do as much "Blackboard sailing" as they do on the water. We emphasize safety as well as sailing technique.

They are all gung ho the first day but after a short time, the class thins out. You can generally tell who is an avid student and who is just there to keep the parents happy. For some, sailing is a complete turn on and for others, they couldn't care less. For the ones who stick it out, they come out completely waterproofed and ready to advance in sailing.

So here is another aspect of sailing. It is great to have relaxation, peace and solitude while sailing. I look forward to it myself. But for me, it is also very rewarding to watch these squealing, giddy kids who are bubbling over with youthful enthusium take the tiller for the first time.

Can you remember when you held the tiller for your first time and who you were with, I bet you can. It's something that you're not likely to forget. Maybe some of you might like to share it with us. It might be an interesting thread.

Best regards
O J
Jim Kortleven

Getting more of a crumudgeon by the year.....

Post by Jim Kortleven »

Hi Warren,

I was just going over this with a friend lately. My ideal ratio of sailors to earthlings is 4:1 onboard Puffin. Ideally, the cockpit is comfortable with 3. I'm tired of telling someone for the 50th time it's called a sheet, and it winds clockwise round that round thing thats called a winch. Next time you're out my way, drop me a line. We can go out on Puffin, sail our asses off and if we are lucky; say less than 20 words all day.

Jim
Michael Heintz

solo

Post by Michael Heintz »

Go solo... I have no tolorence for non sailors and will not take them out.

bah
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

I would not say that I do not enjoy taking out non-sailors but I definately enjoyh the alternative. Outside of sailing solo the best sails I have had on Suzi Q were when an experienced sailor was along and could take over and sail without any instruction. I guess a part of me is just like the non-sailors, I like to sit back and enjoy the ride.
The biggest bummer I have had is taking out a friend who got seasick instantly. We barely got the sails up when we had to turn back.
In a way I like to keep sailing a secret. If everyone realized how fun it is, the water would be as crowded as a highway during rush hour. Perhaps it is the early signs of curmudgeoness.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD

Solo

Post by Guest »

I think I seen you guys in a movie once. Grumpy old men