Any Cape Dory Icebreakers in Great Britain?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

elbows wychulis

Can a seperate section be created for social action posts?

Post by elbows wychulis »

Any way to split off posts like this into its own area where
people can stretch out and post without tying up this area?
bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

Social Action Posts On/Off Topic?

Post by bilofsky »

elbows wychulis wrote:Any way to split off posts like this into its own area where people can stretch out and post without tying up this area?
Well, the short answer is, this site can't be all things to all people, and this is a Cape Dory board, not a social action board. So in general, social action posts are off topic. There are other places on the web to discuss those things.

This is a place for people from diverse political, social and career backgrounds to meet and discuss boats. Bringing hot-button, potentially controversial issues like politics, religion and sex into the group can be destructive of the good atmosphere here. "Social action" has some overlap with politics and/or religion.

That's the framework in general. Individual posts come down to the (hopefully good) judgment of the webmasters. Board members will let us know when we muff a call. :wink:

My judgment on this thread was that it was potentially inflammatory but people seemed to be having fun with it, not confrontation, so I made an exception and decided that as long as it stays fun, I'll let it ride, under the category of "occasional personal messages that help build the sense of community".

But it is an exception.
John D.

Off topic?

Post by John D. »

Walt:

I agree with you that this should be a civil place to "discuss Cape Dory boats." I also respectfully register my view that your enforcement of the no politics rule seems somewhat unequal. Several weeks ago, Warren started a thread about a rogue wave, which others converted into an anti-lawyer screed. You deleted one post on that thread, while simultaneously expressing your personal agreement with it, but did not touch others that also were offensive and unrelated to Cape Dories.

I would suggest some modified guidelines regarding the topic of global warming and other environmental issues, which may also relate to sailing. I would welcome posts about a good source in Maryland for the bio-diesel George Bush talked about yesterday. I was grateful for the warning about Mr. Santorum's proposed bill last month so I could make my views known to my representatives. Likewise with the ICW dredging issue last year.

As for Mr. Elbows' very long posts, I think he's an oil tycoon masquerading as an environmentalist and trying to bore us into dropping all discussion of global warming.

John D.
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

Well I thought it was interesting and could have been on topic if we had a discussion about what would happen to Atlantic sailing if or when the gulf current really does disappear. How would that change wind patterns? What happens to the pattern of storms?
elbows wychulis

first hurricane ever to hit from Pacific

Post by elbows wychulis »

Evacuations ordered as Adrian approaches
El Salvador and Guatemala declare emergencies

Thursday, May 19, 2005 Posted: 8:16 PM EDT (0016 GMT)

PUERTO LA LIBERTAD, El Salvador (AP) -- Salvadoran officials closed schools and began evacuations on Thursday with the approach of an increasingly powerful Hurricane Adrian -- which would be the first recorded hurricane to strike the country with full force.

El Salvador and Guatemala declared emergencies as the unusual hurricane, the eastern Pacific's first named tropical storm of the season, gained force and headed directly for their coastline, carrying heavy rains that forecasters said could cause devastating flooding.

Forecasters said it would likely hit land Thursday night.

Salvadoran President Tony Saca broadcast an appeal for his citizens to obey evacuation requests.

"We understand that they are guarding their belongings, but lives are worth more than anything," he told Radio La Chevere.

In Puerto La Libertad, the beach resort and seafood center closest to El Salvador's capital, San Salvador, streets were nearly deserted as rains sprayed across an increasingly agitated surf and waves pounded at the pier Thursday morning.

"You can feel the concern because we have never had anything like this," said Marco Antonio Hernandez, a 40-year-old seafood vendor.

Already one death was indirectly linked to the storm: a military pilot died Wednesday when he crashed a small plane that he was ferrying from San Salvador's civilian airport to a military base as a precaution against the heavy winds. Officials did not give the cause of the accident.

In neighboring Guatemala, two workers were killed in the collapse of a ditch they were digging in the village of Caxaque, about 260 kilometers (160 miles) west of Guatemala City, as a light rain fell there. But local firefighters said it was unclear whether the collapse was related to the rains.

At midday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said that Adrian had grown to hurricane force, with maximum sustained winds of nearly 140 kph (85 mph) and higher gusts, relying on data from a U.S. Air Force reconnaissance plane.

It was centered about 150 kilometers (90 miles) southwest of San Salvador, El Salvador's capital, and was moving toward the northeast at about 14 kph (9 mph).

Guatemalan officials declared a "maximum alert" ahead of Adrian and El Salvador's government decreed a state of emergency for the whole, small country. Many schools and offices were closed on Thursday and some stores were crowded with people stocking up on water and food.

The region, where many people live in shacks clinging to sharp ravines, is particularly vulnerable to flooding and landslides. In 1998, Hurricane Mitch, arriving from the Caribbean, killed at least 9,000 people in Central America.

Adrian is also a very unusual hurricane.

While some Atlantic storms, such as Mitch, have entered El Salvador after being sharply weakened by passing over Honduras, no other hurricane in modern records has hit El Salvador directly, according to Antonio Arenas, director of El Salvador's National Service of Territorial Studies, which monitors weather.

Meteorologist Colin McAdie of the U.S. Hurricane Center also said there was no record of another hurricane landing in El Salvador or Guatemala's Pacific coast since the Center's records began in 1949.

Most Pacific storms spawned off the Central American coast head toward the northwest, roughly parallel to the coastline and then edge out to sea or veer inland farther north, in Mexico.

The Hurricane Center said there was some chance the storm could survive a passage across Central America and emerge as a tropical depression that would head across drought-parched Cuba and toward the Bahamas.