New Owner CD27 - Needs info on trucking from MD to NY

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

UPDATE:
A1 couldn't give me a solid date. I had to go with another hauler. I went with Clark's Boat Hauling (http://www.boathaulers.com/). He couldn't take me to Long Island so I settled for Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City, NJ. I sail for Sayville on Saturday. The boat arrives in NJ Friday, hopefully. I can hardly wait to leave. The tides are fair going through the "Narrows" and out to sea heading east. The weather forecast is even better. I'll take pics of Lady Liberty and the Verrazano Bridge for all to enjoy.

Stay tuned for more...
Willy Snyder

CD27 Move MD to NY

Post by Willy Snyder »

I have a CD 27 I bought from a person who worked for Cape Dory and moved it to southern MD. The boat was in New Bedford Mass. He suggested trucking the boat from MA to MD was the best way to go. Being 27 ft LOA you should contact a hauler that will consider a return dead head load or a piggy back. You will have to be flexible about the timing but the money saved would buy some new gear for the boat. Another words two small boats can fit on a single truck or after hauling another boat to a MD or southern location, hauling your boat to NY so as to avoid an empty return trip. Vice versa also works if a MD hauler has a load from New England to MD they could haul your boat on the pick up leg. I paid only $450 for the haul. That was about half of the price at that time (1988) . Also when you haul consider prepping the boat for the trip. It is a bouncy ride and stuff will chafe. A spinnaker pole or boom on the deck in a cabin can do a lot of damage if it rolls around on the trip. Also the diesel exhaust from the truck can make a black mess of the top sides if the boat is not shrink wrapped or protected in another way. Alert both departure point and ending point yards that the boat is coming and look into any special accommodations that may be required. Ask to see the proper insurance form the haulers. Your regular boat policy most likely will not cover any damage during the haul. A&B from Maryland comes highly recommended and is local to MD and hauls all over the coast.

Good Luck

Willy Snyder
CD27 "Second Wind"