Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sloopjohnl

Re: Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Post by sloopjohnl »

that sure piques the imagination - sailing my typhoon from Ft. Pierce, FL to the Virgin Islands!!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Saw some beautiful beaches on St Croix yesterday as we circumnavigated via automobile. It’s a very laid back Island but has all the aminiites of St Thomas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Nothing like sunset in the tropics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Headed back to St Thomas from St Croix. Wind about 20 kts. Seas maybe 5-7’. Close Reach. Working jib and double reefed main. Brisk sailing.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sailed into Christmas Cove with a double reefed main and stays’l. Used the little Honda outboard to maneuver on to a mooring. Got the sun awnings up. Cleaned up the boat. Had a long snorkel in gorgeous water. Gayle swimming next to me. Washed some scum off the waterline. Made Cafe Bustelo in the aero-press. Enjoyed the sunset with my sweetheart. Serious easy living. This is gets addicting.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

A lazy day at Christmas Cove. Gayle made bread. We read, napped, talked, watched other boats. Didn’t even swim. Total chill out. Currently reading 1776 by David McCullough. It’s an interesting account of the first year of the Revolutionary War and how close America came to being a “wasn’t.”

Across from us in the cove is the “Pizza Boat.” You can read about it here: https://www.pizza-pi.com. The business was stated during our last trip here 2015-2016. The original founders/owners sold it last year to the couple that presently own it. A very clever business model. They seem to do a pretty brisk business based on what I have read and seen so far. There is a constant stream of boats pulling up to the stern or along side to pick up their pizza.

Entrepreneurship is still alive and well.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Jeff
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

There should be a pizza boat in every harbor. Maybe a beer boat too.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

John,
Swam with a pair of dolphins right between the pizza boat and our catamaran on a ball right next to it. really enjoy reminiscing as you post familiar pictures.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

sloopjohnl wrote:John,
Swam with a pair of dolphins right between the pizza boat and our catamaran on a ball right next to it. really enjoy reminiscing as you post familiar pictures.
I bet that was cool.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Even with the wind blowing 20 kts and the surface of the water roughed up there should be no mistaking how clear the water is in Christmas Cove. Just finished snorkeling. It’s like you are suspended in the air hovering over the coral and dozens of species of fish.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Got in the water today. Lots of wind the last couple days so the water is more turbid and not as clear as it has been. Plus, cameras don’t do it justice. Anyway, below are a few stills from some go-pro footage. It’s so enjoyable to swim around the boat in warm clear water.

The bottom paint is about 20 months old. It is failing. Not the best paint for the tropics. I had a diver scrub the bottom the day before I left Beaufort this past December. He was much too aggressive as most of them are—metal acrapper and thick 3M maroon pad. You need to be very gentle with ablative paint. I only use a plastic West epoxy squeegee and a piece of soft indoor-outdoor carpet. I use the gentlest touch possible. The idea is to leave as much paint on the hull as possible. Otherwise the life of the paint is dramatically shortened.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great photos John. Hopefully I’ll be on my way to that warm water in two or three weeks. Orion was launched on the 3rd. It was way too windy to put the mast in so that was done on the morning of the 4th. I’ve done the initial tuning of the rig and I have bent the sails on. Once I get out for a sail I’ll finalize the tuning and insert my cotter pins. All the rest is checking, rechecking, stowing, and provisioning. Give me a weather window and I’m Bermuda bound. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:Great photos John. Hopefully I’ll be on my way to that warm water in two or three weeks. Orion was launched on the 3rd. It was way too windy to put the mast in so that was done on the morning of the 4th. Give me a weather window and I’m Bermuda bound. :D
Jim, when will you be in Bermuda this year?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:Great photos John. Hopefully I’ll be on my way to that warm water in two or three weeks. Orion was launched on the 3rd. It was way too windy to put the mast in so that was done on the morning of the 4th. Give me a weather window and I’m Bermuda bound. :D
Jim, when will you be in Bermuda this year?
Soon as I can finish my prep work, plus a 6 to 8 day passage, on average. I’d like to leave here in two to three weeks so I hope to be there the first week of May.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time