Good place to buy oil lanterns at a reasonable price?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KDreese
Hingham, MA

Good place to buy oil lanterns at a reasonable price?

Post by KDreese »

I have been looking around for oil lamps use on a CD25 and all the locations on the web seem to be pretty expensive (trawler lamp for $200)... It seems that not to many vendors sell oil lamps any more but I am interested in buying:

- 2 small bulkhead mounted lamps
- 1 anchor lamp

Has anyone had any luck trying to find some at a reasonable price... I was hoping to spend at most $100 each. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

KD
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Joe Peladeau

Post by Joe Peladeau »

If you don't mind shopping Canadian I can suggest Holland Marine Products in Toronto, Canada. www.hollandmarine.com They run a very good chandlery.

Available is a bulkhead mount cabin oil lamp that is double gimballed, 10" height and comes with a smoke bell. It is a laquered brass. Burns either liquid paraffin or kerosene. It is currently on sale for $75.00 Cdn. I have one on my boat and it is a nice product.

They also have a brass trawler lamp (hanging lantern/salon). Heigh of 10 & 5/8". Also laquered brass. I don't have one but I saw it at their store a couple years ago and it was pretty nice. It sold then for around $100 Cdn.

Check out their web site for shipping details and their on line cataloug.

Regards,
Joe
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Type Of Fuel

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

This may be a silly question: Can you burn diesel fuel in an oil lamp? Does it smoke too much? I also was wanting to have a couple of oil lamps in our boat but having to carry two different kinds of fuel held me back.

Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Lamp Oil

Post by Oswego John »

Hi,

From my experience, I never thought to try Diesel oil in a lamp. I might try it in an emrgency, but hesitate to burn it for day to day use. I would think that it's byproduct would be rather smelly.

Clear, white kerosene will burn pretty nicely but kero, (coal oil) no matter how much it is refined, still gives off an odor.

You can purchase something called lamp oil. It burns as well as white kero, sans odor. Believe it or not, I buy my lamp oil at Kinney's Drugs or at the Dollar Store and have found no difference with it and the high priced marine variety.

With an oil lamp, a clean, unraveled wick is the secret for top performance. Don't burn the lamp after the oil reservoir is empty.

Good luck,
O J
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Oil

Post by Jim Davis »

The short answer is yes, but you don't want to. Also you really don't want to burn kerosene. The best fuel is the liquid paraffin type fuel. Buy it at the hardware store. Get the highly refined odor free stuff. The price isn't bad and the smell is about like a candle when you put it out. Diesel and kero will leave an odor in the cabin and any fabric including clothing. Also they may well cause soot. An oil lamp is also a good source of heat on those cool, damp mornings when you go north.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Joe Peladeau

Re: Type Of Fuel

Post by Joe Peladeau »

Evergreen wrote:Hello:

This may be a silly question: Can you burn diesel fuel in an oil lamp? Does it smoke too much? I also was wanting to have a couple of oil lamps in our boat but having to carry two different kinds of fuel held me back.

Philip & Sharon

Hi,

Using diesel in a wick type oil lantern is likely to have explosive consequences. I wouldn't recommend diesel, gasoline, naptha or anything other than kerosene or liquid paraffin in a wick lantern. The resovoir on the lantern I suggested would be about 6 to 8 fluid ounces of liquid paraffin and would burn for about 8 to 12 hours. For those rare times you opt to use an oil lantern, picking up a couple of 18 ounce bottle of liquid paraffin shouldn't take up too much space in the cockpit locker or the counter under the sink.

If you're looking for a diesel lantern you would have to look at finding a lantern that can burn pressurized diesel via a mantle. Similar to a 'Coleman' style lantern but specifically designed for burning diesel. Coleman's run on naptha. I'd hazard to say that finding one would be somewhat rare and likely expensive since diesel wouldn't be anyones first fuel of choice for a lantern. I expect there will be a limited number of manufactures out there. You'd have to make sure such a lantern was safe for indoor use plus there's all of that pumping.... and hissing.....

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joe
wingreen

try ebay

Post by wingreen »

you can buy them on ebay for way less than $200.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

One hint about wick lanterns is to trim the wick carefully. It should be trimmed as flat across as possible with a sharp shears. It will make any lamp burn better.

At our wilderness camp we have tens of kerosene Dietz hurricane lamps for light in late summer when the sun goes down earlier. Most folks do not know how to use these types of lamps as they are so infrequently used. I do recommend a pure lamp oil in a cabin instead of kero as it really burns cleaner and without smell.

You may check the main suppliers, West, Defender etc by phone and see if they have a lamp that is a second, or slightly damaged. I bought a dented Yacht Lamp from West for less than half price. It leaked but I soldered it up and it has been excellent for five years now, warming the cabin on those cold and raw nights. Don't expect the light of a electric light though.

All the best,
Paul
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Post by KDreese »

That canadian site has exactly what I was looking for! Awesome. Now I just need the survey on the boat to go through with no major issues and i will order away. Cant wait till May!
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Light Swinging In A Sailboat

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

I noticed that many of the larger oil lamps seem to be just suspended from the top. Isn't their swinging around in a sailboat an issue? If so how do you deal with it?

Thanks, Philip & Sharon "Evergreen"
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Swinging

Post by Jim Davis »

Easy solution. Ours is hung from the overhead directly over the table. We drilled a small hole in the table top and ran a light lanyard to control the swing. Rig a short bridle from two of the protective bars on the lamp and tie the lanyard to the bridle. Ours is a trawler lamp, so it is easy to refill.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Carl Thunberg

A note of caution

Post by Carl Thunberg »

KD,

A note of caution on the use of lamps as a masthead anchor light. If you intend to hoist a lantern up a halyard, PLEASE don't forget to attach a downhaul to it, or you'll end up in the morning staring at the top of your mast in disbelief and using language un-befitting of a gentleman sailor :!: .

In case you want to know what happens if you don't take this precaution, check out this thread in the archives. An invitation: Lessons from the 2006 sailing season Author: Joe Myerson Last post dated 10/28/06. You never quite get over an experience like that :oops: .
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

ditto paraffin

Post by s.v. LaVida »

we have three lanterns onboard and move them around as needed and a high quality paraffin is the only way to go.

it burns clean, leaves little to no odor and provides a very nice bright flame, providing your wick is kept trimmed.

Cruising most of the Great Lakes and all the way down to the Caribbean, I've not found most hardware stores to carry the really good stuff. Top of the line paraffin can run between $15.00 to $25.00 per gallon.

I usually wind up going to a candle shop or a place that carries a lot of candles to get the best grade. The higher the grade, the longer it seems to last.

rit
RonE58

heat from an oil lamp.

Post by RonE58 »

A little off the subject,
A couple of weeks ago while sitting around the cabin and dreaming of my first full season I decided to try out the the oil lamp. I don't think it was used in years. I placed the wick and filled it with kerosene lamp oil. After about two hours of fiddling around I decided to take off, I shut down the lamp and then realized how hot not only was the lamp but the wood around it.
I realize the oil lamp is traditional (I just finished reading Cruising in Seraffyn) but it kind of spooks me known that our boats are full of teak. Should there be a back plate of sorts on the teak or is it normal for the wood to get warm.
thanks,
Ron
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Heat From An Oil Lamp

Post by Oswego John »

Ron,

How hot is the wood?

Three things are required for combustion; fuel, oxygen and temperature to the point of ignition.

The teak is the fuel. The surrounding air provides the oxygen and the proximity of the oil lamp to the fuel for a long enough duration just might be enough to raise the temperature of the fuel to the point of ignition.

One of the best insulators of heat is space, or distance. If the lamp is far enough away from the teak, it won't heat up as much. The temperature of the fuel is indirectly proportional to the distance of it from the source of heat.

If that is impractical, another method to protect the teak is the use of a heat shield. This should be made of a non-combustible product. It should be mounted on the bulkhead between the lamp and the teak. It is best to mount it with the use of standoffs to allow air to circulate between the shield and the teak.

Good luck,
O J