Morey's Red

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Morey's Red

Post by Neil Gordon »

The cover is off, I rove a new jib halyard and I discovered a major advantage of servicing seacocks with Morey's Red. Aside from the super thick stringy grease that comes in a lifetime supply tube, the stuff is (no surprise here) RED!!! It's the perfect color for when I slice my fingers open on the hose clamps. I just assume it's grease and keep working.

Happy Spring!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Neil - The Pacesetter

Post by Oswego John »

Careful now. If others read that your cover is off, they're apt to get fancy notions and start to take their covers off, too. At this time of the year, the idea could be pandemic.

Oh, BTW, there's an unsubstantiated rumor floating around that Morey's Red is in actuality nothing but lard which has been dyed in Marvel Mystery Oil. I'll have to check this out more thoroughly :D

Congratulations,

Happy spring.
Here's looking to splash time.
O J
chase

lost, at 35 degrees N.

Post by chase »

Cover? Aint it a little early to take off your mud dauber cover?? :D

Here's to another year of adventure. Gulp. Islay. Sherry casks.

Watch those darn clamps, they'll eatya alive.

Turning Cows/calves out on pasture this week, things are threating to green-up. The mountains will explode over the coming weeks and rich green will creep up in elevation until once again, we're surrounded by densly forested ridges climbing to elevations of over 5000 feet.

I wonder if this daylight savings business is going to fuel this comissioning pandmeic? Did they change the time in other places besides NC, too? :wink:

Happy Spring Indeed,

Chase
Boyd

No animals were hurt during this haul out.

Post by Boyd »

Hi All:

Based on a rumor found on this board I am repacking my seacocks with Dow G804. This is stuff is CLEAR and quite thick. My initial impressions are it is great stuff, totally waterproof.

I will let you all know how it works.... should be about 3 years from now as the Morey's Red lasted a good 2 years, and I dont care if its really lard.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

boyd,

you doin this in the water? where id you get the dow g804 if i may ask.

i gotta learn to do that in the water.

darrell
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

I will be following CLOSELY the results of this conversation.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Boyd, can't talk right now as he has his thumb in the hole. I always imagine the Dutch Boy when I hear about in water seacock service. Seriously though, I do want to give it a try. I have a whole bucket of closed cell foam plugs. We originally made them for my son's potato gun. All we did was set a thick piece of closed cell foam on the drill press and drill away with a hole saw. They work great for wads in the potato gun but come in handy for all sorts of other stuff too. I always put one in the ice box drain hole. It becomes an insulated drain plug with a very small weep hole. I think these things would work great for servicing seacocks. Once you shove them in the through hull the little pilot hole would be compressed enough to stop all the water. I have not tried this yet but will give it a go this summer. My finances will be in better shape if I can skip a mid summer haul this year, Steve.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

For all those with clampdonitis -clamp injuries-
On Bandolera, my CD33, Goldie (Universal 5424) wears clamp protectors -those little red covers- so I don't get my hands all chewed up when messing around in there. They work wonders. I recommend them.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 53198a.jpg[/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

It's not sacriicial?

Post by Neil Gordon »

zeida wrote:For all those with clampdonitis -clamp injuries-
On Bandolera, my CD33, Goldie (Universal 5424) wears clamp protectors -those little red covers- so I don't get my hands all chewed up when messing around in there.
I thought a bit of sacrificial blood when servicing seacocks and the like was required for the ongoing safety of the vessel.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Boyd

knuckle protectors

Post by Boyd »

Hi Zeida, Darrel, etc:

Where do you get those protectors? Neat idea. My arms usually look like I went hunting for something in a Constantina fence after routine maintenance in my bilge.

As far as maintaining seacocks in the water goes, its no big deal if you are organized. See previous posts by me and others on the subject. At first I used the pool noodles and whittled down the ends. The advantage of these is you only have to go swimming once. Now I just have a wet rag handy to stuff in the hole after the plug is pulled. Worst thing that happens is you put the plug back in and wait for the bilge pump to catch up. All but one seacock drain nicely into the bilge so the mess is confined.

The Dow G-804 Silicone Grease was insanely expensive. I got it online from:

www.polysi.com

and feel a bit ripped off. Now that I have it, I suspect that its very similar to Dow 111 which is more readily available (I got my tube at the local dive shop).

Like I said it may be a couple of years before I know how long this stuff will last. My goal is to haul every 4 years. I am currently on the hard and doing a whole laundry list of improvements. Wilma took out my wind instrument sensor so I am putting in a whole new suite of instruments. If anyone wants mostly working DataMarine instruments let me know.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
M. R. Bober

Re: Morey's Red

Post by M. R. Bober »

Neil Gordon wrote:The cover is off, I rove a new jib halyard and I discovered a major advantage of servicing seacocks with Morey's Red. Aside from the super thick stringy grease that comes in a lifetime supply tube, the stuff is (no surprise here) RED!!! It's the perfect color for when I slice my fingers open on the hose clamps. I just assume it's grease and keep working.

Happy Spring!!!
Neil,
Have you tried their Rose'?
Every besh wish,

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where blood is thinner than seacock grease), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Duncan Maio

Nor'easter with 3-5" of snow tonight

Post by Duncan Maio »

Sorry, Neil, I think you were a week too early with the cover. OTOH, you got in a few days of great weather before this (hopefully) last snowstorm.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Neil Gordon

Re: Nor'easter with 3-5" of snow tonight

Post by Neil Gordon »

Duncan Maio wrote:Sorry, Neil, I think you were a week too early with the cover.
I think that my early season enthusiasm might have caused the pending storm. Anyway, I'm not afraid of the boat getting wet, snow or otherwise. It's too late in the season (I hope) for any significant freeze/thaw/freeze, which is what I really protect against.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Boyd, I still can not walk easily because of the foot surgery and I have the info on the clamp protectors at the boat. I am trying desperately to go see Bandolera this weekend, even if the only thing I can do is sit in the cockpit at the dock and enjoy the view. I will get the info on where I purchased those protectors and will let you know asap.

I hauled out Bando January 2004. At that time I did a major maintenance on the seacocks and used the red Moreys for the first time. I hauled out again this past December 28, 2006, so I practically waited three years, which is my goal from now on. The Moreys in the seacocks had maintained them working properly for all that time, so I did use it again. This is the pix from 2004 when we removed all seacocks, made new backing plates (old ones were totally disintegrating) with 1/2" marine plywood, three coats of epoxy on both sides and one coat of varnish. They still look like brand new.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 8191b5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 8191b4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 8191b8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 81917f.jpg[/img]
tHE LAST picture is the seacock in the head just before finishing the reassembly of same. They are still in excellent shape, although during this last haulout I did remove the barrels from the body, cleaned everything up real well and loaded up on Moreys. I know they will last another 3 years with no problem.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Dick Barthel

Seacock Maintenance

Post by Dick Barthel »

Zeida:

When you removed the seacocks and put in new backing plates did you have to do anything with the exterior of the hull?

Thanks for the info on the clamp protectors...you're going to be responsible for saving a lot of skin for members of our board.

Dick