mud dauber / wasp prevention

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

mud dauber / wasp prevention

Post by Dave Jeffery »

With warm weather approaching, the mud daubers / wasps will be stirring. They have a genius for nesting in boats (e.g. on the walls of the cardboard sleeve inside a roll of TP). They can get through the tiniest of openings (e.g. around the main hatch/drop board/sea hood).

Anyone found a workable way to prevent their entry? Or encourage their exit (without chemical nuking, etc.)?

Dave J
Andy Denmark

Easy trick

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Dave,

One of the things I've done that seems to work is a tried and true method for mildew control. Partially fill a saucer with Lysol and leave it in the sink (to safely contain any spillage due to rocking, etc.). The Lysol slowly evaporates and in so doing deposits a molecular-thickness layer on all interior surfaces. This isn't enough to create a smell but greatly inhibits the growth of mildew, mold spore, etc., throughout the boat's interior. I've noticed that the mud dauber infestation is not nearly as bad when this method of mildew control is used.

You want to use a saucer as opposed to a glass or jar as the increased surface area accentuates evaporation.

Now, if we can just find a way to keep the wasps and mud daubers out of the sails ........

Hope this helps,
________
Bmw m roadster
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Mud Daubers

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Dave,

I hate to say this, but I don't know what a mud dauber is. That term isn't used around north central NYS. My first guess is that it is, as you say, some kind of a wasp. Does it go by any other name? I've known of mud wasps that make nests below ground. Very nasty creatures.

Well, whatever. Every fall when putting the boat away for the winter, I spread one or two box fulls of moth balls around the boat before covering it up.

This stuff seems to prevent all sorts of pests, rodents and other varmints (except in-laws) from wintering down at my expense. I don't know how well it would work to prevent mud daubers. Maybe worth a try. The price is right.

Good luck,
O J
barfwinkle

Personally

Post by barfwinkle »

I dont mess with the daubers :!: They eat spiders by the scores :D :D However, they do make a mess on the boat!

Wasp are a different story. Not a problem in my slip, but others at the marina do have a problem. They use moth balls (I know they're small) and say they work well.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks, Andy

Post by Joe Myerson »

Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion about the saucer of Lysol. I'll try to remember it for next year.

I've never been able to keep those mud daubers out of my boat. They have never actually bothered or stung me, but their little tube-shaped nests are annoying to remove.

The wasps are another matter, and I don't know anything that will actually prevent them from getting in. One year, some wasps built a nest in the head of my deck mop, which I had left for the winter inside the cabin of my catboat. I didn't discover them until I picked up the mop to start my spring clean-up.

Ouch!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Mud Daubers are very docile wasps. We always have them on our front porch and they do not bother you but do kill a lot of undesirable insects. I was given a mud wasp house for Christmas one year. It is just a little piece of wood with a bunch of approx 3/8" holes drilled in it. They do use it. I don't know if you want to try to provide alternate housing or that would just draw more of them. The only problem I have ever had with them is when they built a nest (packed mud in) my weed wacker exhaust. It took me a good while before I figured out why it would not run, Steve.
barfwinkle

Messy but

Post by barfwinkle »

Dave just break one of those mud nest open and see (beside the larve) what all those little (and they are harmless and docile) eat. And yes I hate when I open the main and two or three big ole mud nest hit the clean deck! :(

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Kind of gruesome

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yes, it's kind of grim when you realize that those larvae are feeding on living, but paralyzed, spiders.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John

YOU LEARN NEW THINGS EVERY DAY

Post by Oswego John »

Last night I googled "mud dauber". I learned quite a bit about their life style and habits. Why did I google the mud dauber? I was curious.

We don't have anything like that around here, to my knowledge. When I heard mud dauber, the first thing that came to mind was a mud puppy. That is until I also read that the mud dauber was associated with a wasp.

No, I confess that I have never heard the term mud dauber ever mentioned. I guess that it's a geographic thing. Now, I'm wondering if there are any readers that don't know what a mud puppy is.

Google is a wonderful source of knowledge. Simply eye opening. The next time I'm at high tea and the subject turns to mud daubers, I can chime in with the best of them. :D

Think spring,
O J
Steve Laume

Mud pupppies!

Post by Steve Laume »

OJ, With a young Labrador Retriever; this time of year, mud season, I have a mudpuppy. She is out running around like a crazy dog and when she comes in, she will want to jump right up on the couch. Boat day tomorrow, to nice to work. Maybe the mud puppy will put her internal gills to use, Steve.
Oswego John

MUD PUPPY

Post by Oswego John »

Steve,

Oh oh.

I sure stuck my chin out on that one. Between you and Neil, you guys don't miss much. Good catch.

Best regards,
O J