Whatever happened to triple strand halyards?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Whatever happened to triple strand halyards?

Post by Paul Grecay »

I am replacing the main halyard on Peapod (CD 28). It was badly chafed where it slapped against the steaming light and also where it rests on the masthead sheaves. It had to go. I have measured its length at about 70' but NOWHERE can I find the triple strand dacron line that I love so much. All my marlinspike skills were acquired on a 1926 Alden schooner sailing Long Island Sound back in the seventies and we never saw braided line. I really love working the triple strand line ... braided line is foreign to me. So here is my question...where can I get a new halyard. No, not braided...at this point my search for the proper line has begun to assume the characteristics of a grail quest. Any thoughts???

PS...I have also been trying to find out what became of the old schooner....she was beautiful....name was Trade Wind. Alberg was mightily influenced by Alden....our cape dories have much the feel of those old vessels. Anyone see or hear of the Trade Wind's whereabouts??
marilou

3 strand dacron

Post by marilou »

Hamiltonton Marine www.hamiltonmarine.com

[/url]
Last edited by marilou on Feb 12th, '07, 13:31, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

New England Ropes

Post by Neil Gordon »

Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
miguel mascaros
Centerport Harbor NY

three strand

Post by miguel mascaros »

Hi Paul.....
I replaced the worn out halyards with tree strand lines after almost 25 years of good service on my CD30, very much like the originals and my way of thinking was''''lets keep it the way it was'''...
Braided lines have many advantages that you may consider like low strech, higher strength values, less twisting, longer life, and my guess is that most people in the board will add to the bennefits of using these newer lines....
Maybe next time the choice will be braided lines, after all my CD came with braided sheets but not halyards...
BTW I bught the cordage from West M....
Cheers/Mike
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

My Go-To Guys

Post by SeaBelle »

My Go-To outfit for rigging is RiggingOnly
http://www.riggingonly.com/
I bought all new running rigging last year and was VERY satisfied with their price. These guys are Riggers not only internet merchants if you need advice they have that too.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

3 strand

Post by henry hey »

I you like 3 strand, Defender.com has quite a bit.

I have recent triple strand on my CD25 -- but alas I am changing it all for braided -- it's just too much stretch for me. I got into a blow with it and it was stretching and stretching. I don't want to have to keep resetting the cleats -- perhaps it's just lazyness.

-henry
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Good suggestions...thank you all!

Post by Paul Grecay »

I am very happy to get some good sources for 3 strand line....I went to several suppliers in Annapolis with no luck...I thought for sure that if it was not to be had in Annapolis, then I wouldn't find it anywhere. This board is such a great source of information! Thanks again everybody....

....now, if I can only locate my old friend Trade Wind ... That would be a dream come true.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I believe that you can find triple strand halyards (sheets too). They are attached to canvas sails.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where ships are made of wood, men of iron and halyards of braid), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

huh?

Post by Paul Grecay »

Not sure what you mean....but thanks...I guess.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

New England Ropes

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

New England Ropes is still manufacturing traditional 3-strand polyester rope for halyards. You should be able to get it from any of their distributors.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Feb 18th, '07, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Thanks Cathy

Post by Paul Grecay »

I will check it out...I really like all the different kinds of splicing and other marlinspike work I can do with triple strand. By the way, I have always admired the way you did the teak on Realization when strolling around Lockwood's. I obtained a couple of cans of the stuff you recommended....hope mine will look as good!!