Surveyors in Miami Florida area

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Clay Stalker

Surveyors in Miami Florida area

Post by Clay Stalker »

Can anyone recommend good surveyors in the Miami area? Also, know any reputable boat haulers in this area? Many thanks.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Clay:

I have attended Strictly Sail Miami the past few years and have sat in on lectures by Charles Kanter, a marine surveyor based here in South Florida.

His website is: http://www.sailcopress.com/surveys.htm

His email address is: surveyor@sailcopress.com

His telephone numbers are:

561-369-7828 (office)
561-742-1704 (fax)
305-731-3307 (cell)

Area code 561 is in the Palm Beach County area. Area code 305 is Dade County (Miami).

Last year, after sitting in on one of lectures on anchoring techniques, I talked with him about Cape Dory sailboats for a few minutes. He seemed very knowledgeable. He apparently also has an affinity for catamarans if I recall some of his anecdotal comments during his lectures.

Since I have not yet actually signed a contract to buy a Cape Dory I have NOT actually used Kanter and do not know if he is good or not. If I find a Cape Dory in the South Florida area, I would probably hire Kanter to do the survey, unless, in the interim I found someone else who was strongly recommended.

Now Clay, if I may ask, what are you looking at :?: I am not aware of any Cape Dorys for sale in Miami at this time.

If you are coming down to Miami to look at something, I would be pleased to show you around, provide transportation, etc., even take you to a good Cuban restaurant :)

If you send me a PM, I will provide you with my telephone number.

Fair winds and good hunting
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Clay Stalker

Thanks!

Post by Clay Stalker »

Sea Hunt:

Many thanks for the info. I have done some research and received very favorable references for Charles Kanter. I have contacted him and placed him on standby in case this deal goes through, which I expect that it will. I have made an offer on a boat, which shall remain anonymous for now, and expect it to be accepted. I will let you know how I make out, and do appreciate your help.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Dick Barthel

Good luck Clay! nm

Post by Dick Barthel »

nm
CaptRaul
Port Salerno, Florida

Cape Dory 28 for sale

Post by CaptRaul »

I have a Cape Dory 28 for sale in Stuart,FL if you're interested
Clay Stalker

I Think I am Done Searching

Post by Clay Stalker »

Capt. Raul:

Thanks for the offer....the CD28 was on my short list. However, I made an offer on a Sea Sprite 28 in Hallandale, Florida. It has been accepted, and I am now arranging a survey and transportation. The transport has been done, now all that is left is the survey....my search may be over! I remain a committed member of the Brand-X contingent of the Cape Dory Association, Northeast Fleet! RAAAA!!!

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Dick Barthel

Seaprite 28 = CD

Post by Dick Barthel »

Clay,

The Seaprite 28 is about as close as you can come in appearance to a CD and they sure look to be an equal in quality. Maybe if we put a CD decal on the stern, Leo will let you get by with it! I know I've heard that the Seasprites also have their own loyal followers.

Congratulations pending the survey. It looks like your patience has paid off.

Dick
Clay Stalker

Very Similar

Post by Clay Stalker »

Sea Sprites and CDs are more alike than different overall. The C.E. Ryder yard was in Bristol, R.I. and employed the same type of boat builders as Cape Dory. Construction details are very similar, but this SS was designed by Bill Luders, who designed some America's Cup boats and many others. They do have a loyal following, mostly in the Northeast, but the group is much smaller as far fewer of these were built. I have always admired them, so hopefully the survey will pan out. Then I will be able to blend right in with the CD crowd, and most folks won't know the difference (except, of course, Leo, and Diana Paquette, who will still be able to call it my "funny looking CD." Besides, I don't want to abandon the Brand-X contingent. Mike, Yves, Carter, and the others need my support!!

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Clay,

My first boat was a SS23. Built for the heavy stuff just like the Cape Dories. I liked that boat too.

You are indeed in lofty company with the likes of Mike, Carter, Yves,et.al.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Thank you, thank you

Post by Mike »

Clay,

It looks like you picked another winner. Good luck with the survey, assume Gene gave you a good recommendation. Also, thanks for including me such an august group..No Leo, that is not the month after July.

Mike
s/v Adagio
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org