CD 36 Rigging Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Peladeau

CD 36 Rigging Questions

Post by Joe Peladeau »

Hoping I can get a little help on a couple of rigging questions from CD 36 owners.

I purchased my CD36 last spring and sailed her frequently last summer. So, while I've had some experience, I'm still a neophyte with the CD. Based on my experiences during the summer I decided I'd start on some upgrading. The first upgrade arena I'm tackling is sail handling.

I wasn't pleased with the roller furling on the yankee so I've decided to replace it. I've ordered a Harken Mark IV Unit 1 which appears to be the only unit that takes the 9/32" jib stay. However, I'm having second thoughts. Harken offers a simpler 'Cruising Unit' but it only has one foil groove and a not too impressive luff tape feeder. I eventually plan to do some long term cruising and wonder if anyone sees a need for twin foil grooves. And has anyone upsized or seen a need to upsize from the 9/32" jib stay?

I'm also getting conflicting advice from a couple of riggers (who have, as yet, not seen the rig). This is in reference to the upper shroud passing through the spreaders... When the shroud is properly tensioned I'm being told that the spreader should be angled up slightly and that I should be seizing the spreader to the shroud. Old brochures I have indicate a flat spreader (with no up angle) and I don't see a way to properly seize the spreader to the shroud (or a need for that matter). Anyone know what is correct?

Greatly appreciate any opinions you may have.

Cheers,
Joe
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Spreader

Post by Parfait's Provider »

The spreader should bisect the angle of the shroud. If it is level it will have a downward pressure at the tip trying to force it further down and rip the spreader from its base or the mast. You want the spreader to be in compression and only in compression, with no vertical or fore and aft force component. That's the physics, but I'll bet there are lots of horizontal spreaders out there in the real world.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
bottomscraper

Upsize

Post by bottomscraper »

And has anyone upsized or seen a need to upsize from the 9/32" jib stay?
Yes we have. When we replaced the furlers we also replaced the uppers, backstay and forestay. All are now 5/16". Need? Probably not. The price difference was minimal and the wire can be upgraded to 5/16" with the same pin sizes as the 9/32" wire.

We did all the work ourselves using StaLok fittings:

http://sailmahalo.com/picture_collectio ... ngStaloks/

You may also want to look at this thread. On Mahalo this isn't a problem yet but something to keep an eye on:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... +spreaders
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

Ken has already given you the straight scoop on the spreaders...the upper and lower angles formed by the spreader tip intersecting the shroud should be the same..true for all sailboats not just Cape Dorys.
Once you get the angle the same, usually by pushing the spreader tip up, then mouse the spreader tip to the shroud using seizing wire and put the spreader boots back on. This is a bosun chair job. Once done you should be able to stand on the spreaders.

If you are seriously considering going off shore think about using a hank on rather than roller furling staysail. Put the money you would have spent on the roller furling gear into a storm jib. You can also make the inner forestay removable. Then when you have a genoa up you can sail her as a sloop...makes tacking a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
s/v Adagio
Outbound 44
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org