Does Boat Insurance Cover This???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Does Boat Insurance Cover This???

Post by Warren Kaplan »

How good is your boat insurance??

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Dock line

Post by Gary M »

The boat owner was just trying to hold his boat away from the sea wall!

This is not the recommended method.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Did you notice the lady in the foreground of the picture is holding car keys in her hand along with the obligatory water bottle. Look what she did...and...she's smiling for the camera. Why would she do that??? What can we deduce about her cognitive functions from just these two observations!?!
Steve Laume

Good things

Post by Steve Laume »

I think the lady is feeling pretty good about things, for good reason. First of all, if that big ole boat hadn't been there she would have gotten her outfit and shoes all wet. Second I can see that whoever owns that facility must have a great deal of money and they were clearly negligent in not installing a barrier to keep her from doing something so stupid as driving her car over the curb stones and off the edge of the earth. It must have been a very traumatic experience worthy of a very large settlement. She is also well hydrated and you always feel better when you drink enough water, Steve.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Good docking

Post by Carter Brey »

I don't see what the problem is, Warren. Good docking practice requires the use of fenders.

Carter
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Notice the lack of proper cleats on the pier?

Tying off to the nearest car bumper is obviously not good seamanship.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Warren Kaplan

Re: Good docking

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Carter Brey wrote:I don't see what the problem is, Warren. Good docking practice requires the use of fenders.

Carter
Hmmm.....I never thought of that, being a mooring man these past 5 years. I confess I'm still perplexed by the application of hard fenders to cabin windows with the obvious traumatic results!

I wonder if a couple of Fender guitars might see nautical use some day! :wink:
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Talk about having troubles with the "auto pilot!"
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
M. R. Bober

Re: Good docking

Post by M. R. Bober »

Carter Brey wrote:I don't see what the problem is, Warren. Good docking practice requires the use of fenders.

Carter
BRAVO!

Warren,
With regard to the insurance coverage issue that you raise. I think that if the tide goes out before the dock lines are better secured;that car will be fully covered.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where we always use the largest fenders available), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
John Vigor

Woman driver?

Post by John Vigor »

Warren Kaplan wrote:Did you notice the lady in the foreground of the picture is holding car keys in her hand along with the obligatory water bottle. Look what she did...and...she's smiling for the camera. Why would she do that??? What can we deduce about her cognitive functions from just these two observations!?!
Warren, on behalf of all the fair ladies who contribute to this board, but were too polite to ask: what makes you think the woman in the picture was the driver of the car?

John V.
Warren Kaplan

Re: Woman driver?

Post by Warren Kaplan »

John Vigor wrote:
Warren Kaplan wrote:Did you notice the lady in the foreground of the picture is holding car keys in her hand along with the obligatory water bottle. Look what she did...and...she's smiling for the camera. Why would she do that??? What can we deduce about her cognitive functions from just these two observations!?!
Warren, on behalf of all the fair ladies who contribute to this board, but were too polite to ask: what makes you think the woman in the picture was the driver of the car?

John V.

John,

Far be it from me to offend the fair ladies on this board. In all candor, the source of the picture identified the lady as the driver. The cognitive function of the driver would still be suspect, male or female. (How's that for doing a quick tap dance away from a potentially embarassing situation!) :oops:
yves feder w1ux
S/V "ALPHEE" (44) Sabre34 Mark II #282 (1986) Stonyngtonne, CT

fenders

Post by yves feder w1ux »

clearly the "fender" is in the process of being deployed: once it's hanging vertically, the way it's supposed too, all will be well (and the fair lady's smile indicates this is about to happen, if the boat's cap'n just gooses the bow thruster a wee bit to port)..... one just has to be sure that each car/fender, however many the lucky bot owner decides to deploy on each side, should hang with its tires facing out!

Of course the car/fenders should ideally be covered in goose liver down slipcovers so as not to bruise the awlgrippe.

But that's for a later installment :oops:
Y.
"Heisenberg May Have Slept Here"
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Another failure??

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I wonder if this was a failure of a GPS database or a case of DWT, driving while talking (on the phone).
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Leonard Lookner

Boat Insurance

Post by Leonard Lookner »

which one is the Cape Dory?
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

How did she possibly get out of her car? That first step must have been a giant step for mankind!