Folding kayak as a dingy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RonE58

Folding kayak as a dingy

Post by RonE58 »

I realize the dingy subject has been discussed pretty extensively on our forum, but my inquire is more specific. Has anyone experienced using a folding kayak such as a folbot, feathercraft or a kleeper. I am looking to not only to carry a boat on board that is going to get me from my CD 27 to shore or port, but a boat/kayak I can explore with. I have a few kayaks but there 17' and 20' length doesn't make them feasible to bring aboard or tow on a 27.
Thanks,
Ron
Dave H

Preparing to launch a folding kayak

Post by Dave H »

Hi Ron, How difficult will it be, with space constraints, to prepare the folding kayak for launching? Have you considered the inflatable kayaks? I'm very interested in the same question. My boat is smaller, a Typhoon Senior, 22 ft. Have you seen John Danicic's two part, strip built dinghy?
Dave
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Inflatable kayak

Post by Angela and Tom »

We have a Seyvlor inflatable kayak that we used with our Typhoon--mainly towed it and used it for paddling around and exploring. But with wind, current and/or chop, and no motor, it becomes all too easy to become overpowered and end up getting swept away.

When we took it along uninflated on our only weekend trip, we never did end up pumping it up and using it. It was much easier and safer to use the mooring service launch. Even though it was nice to have along as a fair-weather plaything, I wouldn't depend on it.
Tom in Cambria

Folboat

Post by Tom in Cambria »

I haven't used either a folding or inflatable personally, so take my comments under advisement. I have seen a folboat used as a tender in Mexico and have seen inflatables used, but not for dinghies. I do have some experience with solid kayaks. The thing to keep in mind about a dinghy is that they have two main functions. One is to transport a person or two from shore to boat. The other is to haul that jerry can of water, block of ice and a couple of bags of groceries to the boat. The nature of kayaks is that they gain their stability through moving through the water. Standing still they are pretty tippy, so that transferring a bag of groceries from a standing kayak to a higher boat can be tricky in a seaway. You really can't stand up in them to reach the bag over to the boat.

A Folboat works pretty well as a tender and has a surprising amount of room for gear. My impression is that they don't row very well in a wind although not bad in calm weather. Even folded they make quite an obstacle to get around when on deck. I don't know what they are like to assemble on deck. I've never seen than done. People took them ashore some other way and assembled them and then rowed to the boat the times I've seen them used. This is not to say it can't be done. I really don't know about that, but they are pretty big and awkward when opened.

You probably know that Hans Lindeman rowed a Klepper across the Atlantic and had so much fun that he did it a second time. Looking at them I don't think they'd be very good in the gear carrying function, but for transportation and exploring probably a fun boat.

What's wrong with a used Avon or Achilles hypalon dinghy? They've proven themselves and are the most commonly used tender there is. Expensive when new, but on the used market the price varies, and they deflate and roll right up.

That's my two cents FWIW. Hope it helps.
rtbates

i've used both

Post by rtbates »

I've used both a folding dingy (Fold A Bot) and an 2 person inflatable kayak. I use the fold a bot when charting larger vessels, and the inflatable kayak on Seraph, our 25D. The inflatable is easier but takes longer to inflate and deploy. It does paddle very well and has a surprising amount of carrying capacity(500 lb)The fold a bot, which folds to 4" thick takes up side deck space and takes a bit of cleaverness to unfold on a deck or in the water. It rows fairly well, but needs a small OB to really get around. We use a 2.5hp. My next try will be this beauty http://www.tinker.co.uk/. They can be had with a sail rig and even a liftraft canopy. The deflated package will fit behind the mast on the spray hood of a 25D so they must be compact.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Kittiwake

PortaBoat

Post by Kittiwake »

the folding 8 ft dinghy (portaboat) works well as dinghy for Kittiwake. Folded up it's bungied to stanchions, although it tows very well. Put together and take part while over the lifelines across the cockpit. 2 hr, 4 stroke Honda does well pushing it, and it can haul a pretty good load. The other night, we had 3 people, probably 550 lbs, and safely went a far piece in reasonably flat waters. It is stable, and easy to get in and out of without a ladder on Kittiwake.
peace and fair winds, bill
Bill Watson
RonE58

Thanks for the responses...

Post by RonE58 »

Thanks for the responses, and good points that were brought up.
Your right Dave, putting together a folding kayak on the deck or in the cockpit of the boat could be a chore.
And Tom your right about the the dual purpose of a dingy, even my sturdy fiberglass kayaks can become a little unstable when carrying a heavy pay load.
I know the inflatable kayaks and dinkys work for many, but I just can't see myself paddling one of them.
I think the thing to do is get one of those small wood dingys, that I have read about on this forum, I have seen the light construction of the Chesapeake Light Craft pram that comes into two to make it easier to store.
And as far as the kayak goes I guess its best to separate the two activities like I have done for years,
and maybe bring the folding boat along just for an adventurist paddle and not to carry a 6 pack.
Thanks,
Ron
volker
Panama city Florida

kayak dink

Post by volker »

Ron.. I went through the same thing with my 23 footer.. I wanted a dinghy I could store down below while on open water passages.. I finally bought a Innova inflatable kayak.. these are thick skinned quality boats that paddle surprisingly well.. I have the 10 foot single but should have bought the 13 foot double instead. I still have a large dink for ferrying passengers and large gear but the kayak fits the bill for quick trips to shore and is quick to inflate and light weight... extremely seaworthy too.. check them out on the web innovakayak.com I think....... take care Volker
RonE58

Post by RonE58 »

Thanks for website Volker,
I would definitely have to try the Innova inflatables before I would consider it. Just curious if you own or have tried a composite or a hard plastic kayak and how you compared it to an inflatable.
Ron
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

Ron
I've got some experience with hard kayaks but am by no means an expert. You will certainly sacrifice some speed even with the best inflatables. I've paddled the Innova at 4 knots (measured with the GPS) but 2 or 2.5 would be a good effortless cruising speed. One thing valuable to the sailorman that you do gain in the inflatable is stability. I've boarded mine from some 4 foot high docks. They are also good weight carriers and are considerably drier that a sit on top because they flex in a seaway and don't plow through heavy waves .. Volker