Alternate source of power for your dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Alternate source of power for your dinghy

Post by RIKanaka »

I like this one, a cordless drill outboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTwJRnmrTY

MATERIALS
- 14 volts rechargeable drilldriver,
- Stainless-steel shaft,
- Old Seagull outboard's propeller,
- Eyes in the back of your head?
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Great idea!

Post by Neil Gordon »

And for spring commissioning, you can use it as a paint mixer.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Need a big gas engine driving the prop

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Like the Thai Long Tail boats
Steve Laume

Bow thruster

Post by Steve Laume »

It's a dinghy motor, it's a paint mixer, it's a bow thruster! The amazing new all purpose tool for your every boating need. For a limited time only you not only get the prop and shaft but also the shaft extension that allows you to use this amazing tool as a bow thruster. With the optional mop end you can clean your bottom (boat's bottom) while comfortably seated on the rail. All while you are sipping a drink mixed with the swizzle adapter. Yes folks there is no end to the many uses you will find for this amazing tool. Clogged scuppers or sanitary lines? No problem with the roto rooter adapter. So hurry, this is a limited time offer. Now you can receive the amazing rotary shaft tool with all the optional adapters for only $19.95 per month. Start sending the money today and I will not be disappointed. Comes with a free limited warranty. If for any reason I am not completely satisfied I will keep the money and you get the shaft tool absolutely free. Act now, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Bow thruster

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:It's a dinghy motor, it's a paint mixer, it's a bow thruster! The amazing new all purpose tool for your every boating need. For a limited time only you not only get the prop and shaft but also the shaft extension that allows you to use this amazing tool as a bow thruster. With the optional mop end you can clean your bottom (boat's bottom) while comfortably seated on the rail. All while you are sipping a drink mixed with the swizzle adapter. Yes folks there is no end to the many uses you will find for this amazing tool. Clogged scuppers or sanitary lines? No problem with the roto rooter adapter. So hurry, this is a limited time offer. Now you can receive the amazing rotary shaft tool with all the optional adapters for only $19.95 per month. Start sending the money today and I will not be disappointed. Comes with a free limited warranty. If for any reason I am not completely satisfied I will keep the money and you get the shaft tool absolutely free. Act now, Steve.
Steve,

Does it come with the CD player plug in? (The one where you let the prop spin while you're sailing, not only increading your cruising speed but powering the cruising music at the same time. [Not to mention the excess power generated, which will make you sail even faster while heating water for your shower, running the fridge/freezer and air conditioner, wide screen tv, etc.)

What about attaching the gizmo to a bosun's chair, holding the shaft vertically and converting it all into a personal helo. This will eliminate the need for a dinghy, nesting or otherwise and will also eliminate the recurring and inconclusive "tow or stow" discussion.

What could go wrong in a deal where you get the money and we get the shaft?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
marilou

CD I Pod?

Post by marilou »

Put the dink, dodger, and the CD I-Pod together. Are there any patent infringements?
Neil Gordon

Re: CD I Pod?

Post by Neil Gordon »

marilou wrote:Put the dink, dodger, and the CD I-Pod together. Are there any patent infringements?
Seriously, a see-through, nesting dink that doubled as a hard dodger and tripled as a reef-watching glass bottomed boat would be a great idea.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
marilou

I thouht so...

Post by marilou »

Add the bow thruster, solar power, and it might be the mother boat, or at least the push boat. It can also recharge your cordless drill.
Len

helicopter theory

Post by Len »

Perhaps we can apply what we have learned in previous posts as regards the mechanics of helicopter blade rotation as a model for prop drag, to this device. We could even raise it into the air and turn our dingy into a helicopter, if the prop were large enough?
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

No need for eyes in the back of your head . . .

Post by John D. »

No need for eyes in the back of your head . . .

. . . just hit the reverse switch, sit in the bow, and pull yourself along.

You've already given up on dignity and tradition by using the thing.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Alternative Power

Post by Oswego John »

Every now and then, I look through my favorite book of "How Things Work" by Rube Goldberg.

While perusing, tonight, I got this fantastic idea of making an anchor winch for the dink. Variable speed and reversible, too.

:D
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

You know we are well into winter when threads like this start. :wink:
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)