Typhoon boom tent

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cdcascobay

Typhoon boom tent

Post by cdcascobay »

Anyone out there have samples, experience or specifications for a typhoon weekender boom tent, simple or elaborate? We're trying to create a little extra room for the occasional overnight. Thoughts?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Boom Tent

Post by Oswego John »

cdcascobay,

I have no specs, measurements or pictures of a boom tent. But I do have some thoughts.

My brother had a simple tent on his boat. It was neither elaborate nor exotic.. His earlier model wasn't self bailing so the main purpose of the tent was to shed rain away from going into the cockpit.

Basically, it was a square of brown tent canvas, long enough to cover the length of the boom.. The boom was supported by the aft stay. The canvas was laid across the boom and extended from one coaming board up over the boom and down to the other. There were metal reinforced grommet holes along either lower edge of the tent. These holes were placed over pivoting snaps (sorry, can't think of the real name) that were set in the outboard side of each coaming.

Since his boat was kept on a mooring, any wind driven rain would be coming over the bow and into the open space at the mast, through the front of the tent. He had two flaps sewn to either side of the front of the tent. These flaps wrapped around the front of the mast and were held closed with hook and loop tape.

Good luck
O J
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

John,

My boat came with a square cloth just like you describe. Instead of clipping to the coaming however, it ties off to the life lines or whatever. Both ends (fore and aft) have a loop sewn in for inserting some type of pole (pcv maybe?) which I have never done. I supposed that would raise the sides up a bit. Its made out of Sunbrella. It works great.

Dick
cdcascobay

Post by cdcascobay »

Thanks for the replies......My mast and boom are rigged likewise to those others described (boom attached to aft stay, etc.), but boat is self-bailing and is absent the tent and fastening points......We're thinking of locating our attachment points on the toe rail, or somehow using the genoa leads to get just that little extra bit of beam for the tent.....I am also intrigued by the description of insert for the fore and aft end of the tent to provide more room......our real goal is to provide an overnight space for the portable head, so as to avoid midnight disruptions for everyone else aboard except those directly employed in the use of the device!..........we'll see how it goes.....more thoughts from others are very much welcome and appreciated.....I'd love to just give a sailmaker or canvas shop the specifications for the tent and be done with it, so please don't keep them a secret if you have such spec's! Cheers and Fair Winds (with fair warning to those downwind!).