1983 Cape Dory 25D (Hull #127)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Ducks turtles and beavers!

Post by Steve Laume »

Yep it wasn't just rubber duckies. The container was lost in the North Pacific and some of the little rubber floaters made it through the Northwest passage all the way to the Atlantic! So the scientists not only got to study currents but also the flow of ice. The stuff keeps moving west to east and eventually gives up it's beavers, turtles and ducks. So you can learn a lot from those little bathtub toys, Steve.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Sea Hunt,

Like Chase, I too could not discern the offensive W word in his post. Then it occured to me that maybe it wasn't in his post at all but in mine, and sure enough not just once but twice I used the terrible W word. I would apologize, but since you indicate that you are new to sailing I would rather try to explain. When a sailor uses the term w--- the foredeck or refers to a W--- ing jib he does not mean it in that vulgar sense such as "its' Monday morning, time to go to w---." It is just one of many nautical expressions that do not immediately make sense like boxing the compass, which has nothing to do with packaging, or weighing an anchor, which is not done with a scale. A hawse hole is not what you call the power boater that just went by you leaving a six foot wake, and if you don't know what a self tailing winch is, well lets just say that whatever you are thinking is probably way off base. Anyway I hope that this expanation w---s for you and best of luck with your boat search.

Steve Kuhar
Wayne Brown

CD-25D

Post by Wayne Brown »

My family purchased an '82 CD-25D. It is a great boat. My wife and I and two teenagers cruised Lake Michigan and southern Canada for 6 weeks. We had a great cruise. We found several places where we could put the bow on the beach and step ashore. All this in a trailer boat.
Wayne Brown
Wayne
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Steve:

Yes, the "w" word when referring to what most folks do 9-5/M-F is also offensive - even to a retired guy like me. However, Chase is well aware of "w" word he used, which is a synonym for "spouse" - another word prohibited in this house. :wink:

Weather in Stockton, Mo. today (where the 1983 CD 25D is berthed) was a high of 24 degrees (brrrrr!!!) with snow and ice on the roads. The last time I checked with the broker (November 2006) he said the CD had not been hauled and was "in the water." I wonder what such cold temps do to a hull in the water.

Here in Miami today we enjoyed clear skies, 80 degrees with a pleasant steady easterly wind at 13-15 knots. These conditions should prevail for next 2-3 months :D :D :D
I went sailing today in a local club race - Castle Harbor Sailing School. We race Harbor 20s. Three races -standard course. Lots of fun. I try to do this at least twice a month, more so in winter months when we have better winds. It's a great learning experience. Most of the members are very experienced and very generous with their time and advise.

Anybody have any information about this particular CD 25D (hull #127) in Stockton :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Bob Ohler

CD25D sailing solo

Post by Bob Ohler »

I owned CD25D #2 for several years. I sailed her single handed from on the Chesapeake Bay in all weather conditions including 30+ knot winds. It really is a fantastic boat to sail single handed and many times I spent weekends and even weeks at a time on the Aloha Spirit! If you don't have roller furling, then selecting the right size headsail is key. Good luck with you search for a Cape Dory!
Bob Ohler
car1260

Post by car1260 »

Are you in Miami? If you want to come to Sarasota & go sailing with us on our 25D before you go to MO just send us a pm. We have a beautiful 1983 Hull #91 we have totally refurbished for our trip to the Bahama's in March.
Kurt & Carolyn Thomas
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I singlehand my 25D approximately 99.44 percent of the time, and it's a great boat for it. I've been using the 100 percent jib, because that's the only one that was in good enough condition to convert to roller furling.

But I plan to get a 120 or 130 for the coming season.

BTW, Kurt & Carolyn, please keep us posted on your trip to the Bahamas in your 25D. Should be a fun trip to follow.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Kurt & Carolyn:

It is very kind of you to offer me this opportunity. I have "test sailed" two CD 25Ds and would welcome the opportunity for a sail with you before your Bahamas trip, if both our schedules permit.

I will send you a PM to further discuss this.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Alone

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have owned a 25D for five years. From time to time my wife has threatened to put a bumper type sticker on the boat reading "I'd rather be driving". But she has grown to trust the boat and even me. Why. The boat is comfortable, has good headroom below, and a nice enclosed head. Also As my confidence has grown, so has hers. But my confidence and skill have grown by sailing alone and with friends NOT with her. My being confident and careful when she is on board has given her confidence, as has my conservative approach to sailing. A friend advised me when I bought the boat that "you are always single handing" and its true. When you know and quietly convey that you can take care of everything it make spouses, girlfriends and others comfortable. And the maiin thing I have learned is that guests cannot have fun unless they are comfortable. A miserable, cold terrified spouse is not likely to being having fun, ever!!!.

Also the first overnight we had was at anchor about 1 nm from our mooring. You don't have to go far to go overnight and its nice to be out of the crowed anchorage/docks.

Go with the 25D, you will grow into it quickly as will your spouse.

Please keep us posted.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Kurt and Carolyn:

I sent you a private message ("PM") yesterday concerning your offer.

Thanks again,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
barfwinkle

Mo Wx

Post by barfwinkle »

Sea Hunt

There is another storm forecast for this weekend and another for the first of next week. My son lives just outside of Tulsa, OK and he has two inches of SOLID ice on his roads. The kid have been out of school all week, and probably won't go back this week. Very Unusual for this part of the world.

Missouri, will probably get hit again as well.

Just FYI
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Bill:

Thanks.

I have been watching the Weather Channel as well. It looks to me like it will be some time in March (at the earliest) before weather conditions will be tolerable (at least for this Miami boy) in Stockton, Mo.

I will continue to check the various sailboat websites for other CDs but still plan on trying to make the trip to Stockton.

I also plan to take a sailboat racing course in Key West in February. It will be with "J World". This will occupy my time for the next several weeks.

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I have no idea about that particular 25D. As for learning on a 25D, in general you shouldn't have any problems learning on a 25D. Just remember one thing, reef the main way before anyone else around is reefing theirs. I've owned Seraph, our 25D, for 5 years now and it's a wonderful boat. Single handing is quite easy especially with a roller headsail. Self tailing winches make live much easier. What really makes the 25D, is it's ability to be trailered to the coast and then sailed anywhere.

best wishes on your hunt
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Chuck
Galveston Bay, TX

Go For The Largest CD You Can Afford

Post by Chuck »

Dear Seahunt,
With my first Cape Dory, a 25 (not the D), I felt the same as you do. But, quickly needed more comfort down below. And you will too if you buy a Ty or a CD22. Yes we are all apprehensive about learning and singlehandeling a larger boat. Now I sail a CD30 by myself often. It is wonderful. certainly not too much to handle alone. Yes, sometimes I blow a tack, yes, sometimes my headsail sheet is tangled, but you will learn to appreciate a Cape Dory more and more as time goes by. Your confidence level will grow and grow. And the boat will not let you down. She can take care of herself. This too you will learn with time.
With these new CDSOA Fleets forming in Florida, you will have lots of great folks to enjoy sailing with.
Doesn't answer your question about hull #??? , but buy the boat. You will never regret it.
Best Wishes,
Chuck
Gulf Coat Fleet Member
Chuck