Fairing a Hull

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Fairing a Hull

Post by JWEells »

There's a low spot in my hull near the water line, just a little dollar bill-sized area where more gelcoat got sanded away than should have been. But now that I know it's there, it lurks in my subconscious. It's always there, attracting my attention, asking for my hand to go over it again - yup, still there - lurking, judging, watching, demanding repair.

SO... I've done lots of gelcoat work. Actually doing it with gelcoat paste would be simple, and then sand it fair, yahda yahda yahda. But is it better to fill and then fair with micro-ballooned epoxy? I've never worked with epoxy, so I dunno.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Ron M.

Can You ?

Post by Ron M. »

I'm not sure gelcoat is compatable with epoxy, thats why epoxy repairs usually get painted. However, if this repair is below the waterline you could use epoxy/micro balloons. Prime the area and bottomcoat. The balloons are easy to fair. Polyester resin is another choice. Good luck
________
Extreme q vaporizer
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Marine-Tex and Gelcoat

Post by bhartley »

I repaired a large corner rub on Ariel's transom with Marine-Tex. I was assured that it would take the gelcoat with no problem if prepped properly. Waited until it was very cured (4-5 days). Cleaned with soapy water. Sanded smooth. Cleaned with more soapy water and again with acetone. Waited a little extra to make sure that the acetone had totally flashed off before doing the gelcoat.

I re-gelcoated the entire transom rather than just the patched area. The gelcoat cured equally well on the existing gelcoat and Marine-Tex. Still looks good too.

Hope that helps,

Bly
JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Marine-Tex sounds great

Post by JWEells »

That sounds like just the thing to use for a variety of problems on the Valaskjalf and the Sjostrøm, my PS25. So you puttied things into shape with the Marine-Tex, and then put gelcoat over that, right? Given where my repairs are needed, I'd probably just Marine-Tex where needed and then paint over it. Nobody'd ever know.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Rollergirl

You could try this stuff

Post by Rollergirl »

http://legnosboat.com/lbiproducts/compo ... chor336366
Scroll down to VINYLESTER FAIRING COMPOUND - 940

Works very well for me. It's easy to apply and especialy easy to sand, dries fast and features an easy clean up. I've used Marine-Tex, which I don't like, and the 940 is a whole lot better in every respect.

I put some on my Flying Scott last weekend in 45 degree moist weather, shined a 100 watt light ( in a reflector) at the spot from about 8 inches away and sanded it fair 3 hours later. It was too early for a cure, but it's shrunk as much as it will at that point. Kept the light on overnight, and gelcoated the next morning.

The hardner will color the material. If you use a thin gelcoat layer you may want to mix some white coloring into the hardner (LBI sells that too).

Good luck
Bill