Annual what did the boat get for Christmas question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Barthel

Christmas

Post by Dick Barthel »

Dream Weaver got a nice Anchor Lantern from Weems & Plath that hopefully will be used often while away from her mooring this summer. Dick
plumber

Post by plumber »

Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!!!
My boat got a very kick ass sound system and a bunch of sailing tunes to go in it. My daughter works at a car customizing place and did a great job of picking the right speakers for the boat and the tunes are great. THANKS DARLIN'
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

BANDOLERA II got two brand new Spot/Search lights for night sailing. One is cordless, operating on batteries, the other plugs into the cockpit cigarrette lighter outlet. Also a new Air Horn powered by batteries (no more mouth blowing horn) AND... a beautiful Henri Lloyd foul weather jacket. We are now waiting for good sailing weather!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Although I still remain “boatless” (more accurately “Cape Doryless”), for Christmas I received Don Casey’s book Inspecting the Aging Sailboat. I thought it was out of print but apparently the Admiral managed to find it on Amazon. I am already halfway through my first reading. For a guy like me who remains at the “newbie” stage of the sailboat learning process, this book is very good. While I prefer books with a lot of big color pictures (Mr. Casey’s book has a lot of B & W drawings), most of the book so far explains things in a way even I can understand, although there are some things discussed that remain a mystery to me. It appears to cover everything one should look for and at - hull, deck, sails, engine, electrical, cabin, etc., and explains what to watch out for and specifically look for.

While I am sure many readers of this board - with their extensive sailboat experiences, could probably write a chapter or two of their own, or even an entire book (Mr. Vigor's books come to mind - I have several), for anyone in my deck shoes, this is an excellent addition to the sailing books bookcase. It is especially cherished given the fact I was expecting coal in my Christmas stocking this year. :(

I am sure it will help me in the search and inspection process and remain confident that 2007 will be the year I finally own my first sailboat - a Cape Dory :!: :D

I wish everyone a Safe and Happy New Year.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Santa brought me....

Post by Kurt »

A new Simrad TP32...oh boy! and two gift cards to Boaters World
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I asked Santa for a new Uniden MHS350 handheld VHF and I wasn't disappointed. We also have a new 13" battery-operated/12-volt box fan and a new LED lantern........Thanks Santa!
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

CD Christmas

Post by Gary M »

I found a whisker pole, a new slide, and what I'll get the most use out of, a blue baseball hat with the boat name enbroidered in gold letters.

Thanks Pam!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Sciottos:

I am not the individual who owned "Petrel". I live in Miami, Florida and have lived here since 1966. I have never been to Kentucky in my life.

I did drive to Long Key (?) last year to look at a sailboat owned by a person named "Robert". I believe the boat was named "Petrel". I did not buy it for several reasons including the fact that it was a daysailor and had too much teak for me.

I would appreciate your kindness in not confusing me with someone else who may have posted on this board. Although my name is "Robert" I am not the Robert with whom you apparently had a disagreement.

Thank you.

I wish you a Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
osteomark

Post by osteomark »

All new Standing rigging for the upper and lower shrouds. One of the lowers was on about 3 strands when I downed the mast :oops: in October. Cann't wait to get back on Lake Ontario this Summer. Won't be goin to Canada though. Cann't afford the pastport :!:
The weather in Oswego,NY has been sailable at times. Crazy.

Take care

Mark[/url]
Steve Laume

Oh web persons

Post by Steve Laume »

One of the great joys of this web site is the civility that we all seem to share. It is wonderful to be able to agree or disagree and not be flamed. Evidently Sciottos has had a problem with a boat owner he was trying to buy a boat from. He has posted before on this matter and I thought it was in bad taste at the time. To bring this matter up again months after the fact while addressing the wrong person and doing it on the Christmas present post, well shame on him. It seems like the business he had with someone on this board is of a private nature and he should keep it to himself. It would be great if the previous posts could go away. Thanks, Steve.
Frank Vernet

Sirius Did Not Get Anything, but....

Post by Frank Vernet »

the bank got a payoff and we got the Title back. Best present ever :D
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Judith

Well said, Steve.

Post by Judith »

n/m
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
barfwinkle

An Admiral

Post by barfwinkle »

with 20 years experience (at least will have soon).

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
chase

an RN

Post by chase »

My wife recieved her RN degree in Dec. and is now working in a cardiac unit. That along with 13 years of her company (since we were 20) have made my Christmas special. Hard work is starting to pay off.

My sisters-in-law, feels like there's a couple dozen of them at times, :wink: gave me a sub to Good Old Boat and some of that nice plastic china....oh what's it called?

Also got a Xantrex and a bunch of 16ga wire....

csh
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Apology to "Sea Hunt"

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt wrote:Hello Sciottos:

I am not the individual who owned "Petrel". I live in Miami, Florida and have lived here since 1966. I have never been to Kentucky in my life.

I did drive to Long Key (?) last year to look at a sailboat owned by a person named "Robert". I believe the boat was named "Petrel". I did not buy it for several reasons including the fact that it was a daysailor and had too much teak for me.

I would appreciate your kindness in not confusing me with someone else who may have posted on this board. Although my name is "Robert" I am not the Robert with whom you apparently had a disagreement.

Thank you.

I wish you a Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
The following message was deleted by the Webmaster on February 19, 2007:
  • How's the weather in Kentucky, Sea Runt? - sciottos Tue 1/9/07 2:12 pm (Deleted by Webmaster 2/19/2007)
Unfortunately, there was a case of mistaken identity on the part of the poster and I only just learned about the posting today! (I DO NOT read every post!) We apologize to "Sea Hunt" for the mistake and regret any harm to his name. The message has been removed.
  • NOTE: If you ever see anything on this message board which seems inappropriate or requires our immediate attention, please contact one of the board's administrators ASAP. Our contact information can be found at the bottom of each of the "Announcements" which are located at the top of each discussion forum.

If there's any question regarding what type of posts are permitted, please see the board's FAQs.
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster