CD 27 Head

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

CD 27 Head

Post by jneely »

My CD 27 is under wraps for the season so I can't get at the head. However, I want to order a spare parts kit for it. The boat was built in 1977. Does anyone know the model number of the Wilcox Crittenden head that was installed that year? In case no one knows and I have to wait until spring to get the number, where on the head can it be found?
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Post by John D. »

My 1978 CD27 has the following:

Wilcox-Crittenden
"Head-Mate"
Seaclos
1460-C

If you think that's what you have, send me a PM with your email, and I'll scan the instructions & maintenance brochure and email them to you.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Check out the cost of a new head. I bought a rebuild kit for my 1977 4 or 5 years ago. The cost of a new one turned out to be about $25-30 more than the kit.(The seat and cover were not cheap either).
________
XRM
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Ditto on new head....

Post by Mike Raehl »

I tried a rebuild on my 1979 CD27 and it failed almost immediately. So still had to buy and install a new head. Given the small cost difference and the high aggravation difference, recommend a new head.

The deck mounting bolt pattern of the new head was slightly different. So to avoid drilling new holes in the fiberglass deck, I used a 3/4" teak board and stainless steel t-nuts as a transition piece. This raised the head slightly which actually improved waste flow to the holding tank under the cabin seat.

Also reused the old head seat and cover. My first mate had a definite opinion that the old seat has a wider, more comfortable profile. Guess there are some things that just shouldn't be cost reduced.
Mike Raehl
jneely

Thanks

Post by jneely »

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

If you decide to replace . . .

Post by John D. »

Check this model out:

http://www.lavac.com/
RonE58

I second the replacement...

Post by RonE58 »

Just before I purchased my CD 27 last August from Chesapeake bay the previous owner generously went out and special ordered replaced parts (I think Mike paid 90$ for the kit) for a Groco head.
A couple of days later, just before I was to travel some 250 miles back to my home port, I tried the pump and low and behold it still leaked. I wasn't going to deal with a leaky head so I took a ride down to Annapolis and hour later, purchased a very reasonably Wilcox headmate for 150 or so. Not only was it reassuring to have a leak proof head but it looked nice and new next to the rest of boat that was greatly taken care of.
Ron