Source/pics of companionway drop boards and slots for Cd27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jms02050

Source/pics of companionway drop boards and slots for Cd27

Post by jms02050 »

Looking at a CD27 that is missing both the companionway drop boards and the frame which they rest in (the u-shaped, slotted frame). Wondering if anyone knows of a source for replacement. The boards shouldn't be too hard to fabricate, but the frame seems more problematic. If anybody has undertaken this project in the past, please share some insight. Also, closeup pics of the companionway of a CD27 would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Jim
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Of the frame and boards,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

is there anything specific that you want closeups of? Will take pics if the factory installation.
jms02050

the drop board frame

Post by jms02050 »

I'm most interested in the frame. I'm trying to get a feel for the effrot involved in fabricating a new frame and boards. It might become a questions of getting on a 27 and obtaining measurements, but this would be helpful in determining how seriously to pursue this one.

Thanks.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Take a look at

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

http://www.users.cloud9.net/~yashinsk/f ... boards.htm
Forgot the digital camera, so used the cell fon camera (lousy flash). Aslo under the shrinkwrap and the cell fon camera has a fixed zoom.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jim:

As you can see from Mark's photos, there is not much to the frame - it's just a couple of pieces of teak with a 3/4" slot cut in them.

The hatch boards vary from boat to boat - Mark has four, my boat has three. I also have a Lexan replacement for the center hatch board, but it is 3/4" thick and very heavy, so I replaced the whole setup a couple of years back with a 3/16" lexan hatch and some teak strips that fill the slot at the edges - it's thin enough to stash under the settee cushions.

If you make new hatch boards, the only trick is to bevel the joints between the boards slightly so that they shed water to the outside.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI