Spartan seacock maintenance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Boyd

Silicone lube

Post by Boyd »

Thanks guys. I will give it a try on the easiest to access seacock and see what happens. Morey's is great but I am open to trying something that might be better. Guess it will take a few years to know the result as Morey's lasts at least 2 years.

One of my goals is to stretch out the time between boat yard visits to the max. Being on the hard is something like a visit to the Proctologist.

Based on advice from this board I recently repacked my stuffing box in the water uneventfully.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
bottomscraper

A Whole World Of Grease

Post by bottomscraper »

I've been happy with Morey's but McMaster-Carr has a huge selection of grease, anti-seize, gear oil and other very useful stuff!

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
M. R. Bober

I think I've eaten there?

Post by M. R. Bober »

"A Whole World of Grease" isn't that place down near the harbor? Open all night!

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (Where sometimes ordering seconds can take hours), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Jack

Moreys Red

Post by Jack »

Used Morey's 4 years ago at haulout. Exercised all seacocks periodically, but not obsessively over the years. Boat remains in the water year round. Re-greased at haul-out this summer, plenty of grease remaining.

I don't know about silicon grease, but Morey's Red is a water-proof water pump grease that can be obtained from NAPA stores. One tube will last you a very long time.
bottomscraper

Re: I think I've eaten there?

Post by bottomscraper »

M. R. Bober wrote:"A Whole World of Grease" isn't that place down near the harbor? Open all night!
I can see it now, hoards of CD owners raiding the grease dumpsters to get their supply of environmentally friendly of seacock grease! :D
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Boyd

Well I found it.

Post by Boyd »

Hi Kurt:

I have on order a pint container of the stuff. That much should last me several lifetimes. If you want some let me know and I will sell you part of it. Dont ask the price unless you are sitting down. Sure hope it works. If its half as good as the 111 I will be happy.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

Hey Boyd,
Count me in...I'll send you a PM with the details.
Kurt