CD22D Sailing characteristics

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Brian H

CD22D Sailing characteristics

Post by Brian H »

I previously owned a CD25D and found the boat to be initially quite tender, while my friend's CD30 was very stiff.

How does the CD22D compare to these two boats? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Brian,

I was hoping some one would respond to your post and I've been watching it.

I sail a CD22 out of the calm waters of Marina Del Rey California so I've been seeing 8 to 10 kn of wind.

I've found that the boat seems tender at the dock when I step on the side deck but while sailing she seems to heal to 10 degrees or so and just lock in.

I've been out in 16 kn of wind and she heeled to maybe 18 degrees with working sails and took off like a banshee close hauled! Had I eased sheets and fallen off I would have lost the heel and still kept the speed.

This boat is relatively new to me but I have owned a Typhoon and expect about the same sailing characteristics and that is I expect it so sail like a larger boat, but not as stiff as a CD30.

I'm a little surprised your CD25D felt tender.

Bottom line, my CD22 is very comfortable, easy to balance and has just the right amount of weather helm. She gives me confidence to push the envelope a bit and all and all I am a very happy CD owner. I'll also might add that my CD22 is probably a better sailer then I am!

I only wish I could give you more of the information that you really want, but maybe if your CD25D felt tender to you, a CD22D would feel tender as well. Maybe sometimes tender is in the eyes of the beholder.

I'll be watching to see if you get any other replys.

Gary
Last edited by Gary M on Dec 1st, '06, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD22D Sailing characteristics

Post by Neil Gordon »

Brian H wrote:I previously owned a CD25D and found the boat to be initially quite tender, while my friend's CD30 was very stiff.

How does the CD22D compare to these two boats? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Other than the difference in size/weight, I would expect the boats to be about the same. Stability is a function of hull shape, primarily. Flat hulls are initially stable while rounder hulls are tender until the weight of the keel kicks in.

I suspect a 15 knot wind will have more effect on a 22D than it will on either a 25D or a CD30. So will someone stepping on board.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron Brassord

Sailing a CD 22

Post by Ron Brassord »

In recent years, we have owned and frequently sailed a Typhoon,Sea Sprite 23, CD 25, Marshall 22, Catalina 30, CD25 [again]and a CD22, in that order. We sail out of Hillsboro Inlet Florida in open water in a wide verity of conditions.
What did we like best? All of them really, but if we had to chose we would clearly go with the CD 22. We only day sail, so our opinion does not consider cruising aspects.
The CD 22 is quite stiff, quick on the helm, goes well to weather, roomy, and is suprisingly fast. And, we think she has very nice lines.
I single hand a lot, and I have all controls led back to the cockpit, and they work perfectly. I truly believe a stern hung engine is best, and installed a saildrive Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke electric that is a joy. We are frequently in wild traffic in a nasty inlet and the maneuvering ability is critical,
I have never seen a CD I didn't like, and one size certainly does not fit all. The 22 however is a perfect fit for us,
Enjoy yours what ever size.
Sail a lot We do.
Ron B Lighthouse Point Fl.
Rollergirl

Another consideration

Post by Rollergirl »

Sail quality can have a dramatic effect on healing. A boat with old blown out sails will heal like crazy before it starts to move, and will over-react to every puff. New sails will result in a stiffer, more responsive boat that tracks better. Less stress on the boat, too.

So how were the sails on the 25D vs. the 30?

Bill Bloxham
mgphl52

CD25D vs CD22

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Brian,

I have owned 2 CD25s and frequently sailed a friend's CD25D. Some of the initial tenderness may be attributed to the higher freeboard of the 25D (and, I presume, the same feeling may show between a CD22 vs a CD22D). Also, as Rollergirl pointed out, baggy sails can definitely affect heeling as well a weather helm. We experienced that before replacing KAYLA's sails.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!