Finally an uploaded video

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Amazing video footage

Post by Joe Myerson »

Fred,

I finally sat down and watched all your video clips--they're fantastic! I'm really fascinated by your self-steering setup--I wonder if it's possible to steer a Cape Dory with a home-built wind vane without adding a new rudder like yours.

Keep sending your reports--they're an inspiration to all of us coastal sailors.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
fenixrises

Answer to Joe

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Joe,

It is very possible to make your own self-steering.
Without making any modifications to the rudder you could make an auxiliary rudder with a trim tab and a verticle axis windvane very easily. I highly recommend John Letcher's "Self Steering for Sailing Craft". Now unfortunately out of print but can often be found used through Amazon or other sources. And quite possibly the library.
I made a system like this for my last boat and it worked flawlessly for over 13,000 miles. It cost about $300 in materials.

Or go here for an easy to build inexpensive horizontal axis servo-tab gear that you can build yourself for less than 10% the cost of a commmercial unit.

http://www.mindspring.com/~waltmur/Self-Steering/

You can do it. And in so doing you will actually learn something about the boat and its sailing characteristics.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
yves feder w1ux
S/V "ALPHEE" (44) Sabre34 Mark II #282 (1986) Stonyngtonne, CT

Post by yves feder w1ux »

Fred, that is just fantastic stuff. You are doing a real service to all cruising sailors and providing immense material for thought not to mention vicarious enjoyment.

I've sent the links to all my cruising sailor friends and am really just thrilled to see what you have been doing.

Please tell me where/when I can find you on the radio! On one of your videos I could hear some ssb chatter in the background :) - Hopefully propagation will permit some contact on 20 meters perhaps? Where do you hang out? 14,300 Intercontinental, or some other group?

My call is W1UX, QRV cw or phone.
All best, Blessings to you Fred, and thanks so much!!!
Yves
W1UX
on the hard and shrinkrwapped (UGH) in Stonington, CT
"Heisenberg May Have Slept Here"
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks Fred

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks Fred,

I've already got Letcher's book, which I studied last spring during my recovery from surgery (great reading in-hospital). At the time, I was only interested in implementing a sheet-to-tiller system, but seeing your videos has inspired me to explore more ambitious projects.

My wife caught me watching your videos last night (why did I use the word "caught?" She should be relieved I wasn't watching some of the other stuff available on the Web), and she had one comment:

"Oh, God. Another nut!"

Keep posting.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
fenixrises

Answers

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Yves: I do not monitor any radio while in port. Often there is too much interference for good reception or transmission.
In the Atlantic I checked in with either the Mobile Maritime or Intercontinental net. Now I can only occasionaly hear the Atlantic nets. In the Pacific I checked in with the Pacific Mariners net, both on 14.300 at different times.
The radio you heard in the background was the Rag o' the Air net. Operated out of Suva, Fiji on one of the SSB freq.s.

Even though I recommend building your own self-steering I do not discount the use of sheet to tiller. Developing this system on your boat will teach you a great deal about sailing the boat. Plus it is cheap and can usually be done with only a 1:3 fool's purchase and a staysail or small storm jib.

There is a boat here in Whangarei just in front of me.
It is an Ingrid copy, ketch rigged,out of Washington state.
It is sailed with only sheet to tiller, no wind vane at all. An auto-pilot handles powering.

I talked with the owner and he told me the boat will steer on any point of sail quite accuratly. He uses a 1:3 fools purchase and the staysail. It took a while to figure out how to make it all happen. He has to vary the tackle purchase, sometimes 1:3, sometimes 1:2 and sometimes 1:1.

Next time you go sailing take a couple of elastics bands with you and do some experimenting. You may just find self steering is already on your boat.

Take care,
Fred
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Two questions

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Fred,
I've really been enjoying the videos. I know how much a camera flattens waves out. They look pretty good size in the video, so I know they were a lot more impressive in person!

I'm wondering how the new interior layout has been working out. Of all the modifications you made, that is the most interesting to me. Engine access is so difficult and it must be way better with your layout. I'm wondering how the galley and chart table are working and the sleeping arrangements.

The second question has been bugging me for a long time. I may hate myself when I hear the answer, but why should you always have an odd number of holes in your boat?

Thanks for allowing us to share in your voyage.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
fenixrises

Answer to Jerry

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Jerry,

So far the interior modifications have worked out fine.
The gimbaled stove was a bit overkill. I probably would have done OK with a two burner cook top since I'm not a gourmet.
Gimballing has not been too much of an issue either. Deep pots usually work OK and I just tilt the stove a bit to make up for the heel angle.

The q-berth/settees are great. The strb side has seen a lot of use since I spent so much time on the port tack. I'm having new cushions made for them.

Engine access is very good. Fortunately I haven't had to do any more than change oil and filters.

I access the stuffing box from over the top of the engine as well. That is easier than going through the cockpit seat locker hatches but does require an old pillow for the top of the engine to protect my tender ribcage and such.

For some new interior pics check out the Living Aboard page that I added to the website.

Note additional hatch on the port side of the engine compartment for easier access to the oil filter, alternator and starter connections.
I also installed a Delco 63 amp one wire alternator to replace the original 35 amp Volvo alternator. This required the addition of an oversize pully and a semi-customized belt adjustment bracket.

For the answer you're dying to have.

When water gets in the boat you need to have at least one(odd number) hole to let the water out

Take care,
Fred
chase

crossing the pacific ocean!

Post by chase »

Fred,

I've gotten so much out of your movies -- they are riveting to watch. The kids and I just watched a couple before bed. I think my seven year old son got a little seasick when I showed one of you and fenix in a pretty damn good seaway. Do you get seasick much?

I really like your self-sufficient approach and I'm inspired to learn more about self steering . My boat has a wheel and as I spend more time sailing I wonder what a tiller would be like. The wheel makes trimming the yankee a little awkward but as I get more experience it seems to work fine. Still figuring out sail balance in various conditions but often live with weather helm for whatever reason, so wheel perhaps gives me a bit more leverage? Do you have second winches for trimming staysail since no club?

Noticed your poled-out staysail and hadn't thought of that as an option before now, do you ever pole out your Genoa? Oh, you had it rigged on the boom or something...

All for now, going to watch some more.

Congratulations on a safe passage, your seamanship is inspiring us all!

Chase
fenixrises

Answer to Chase

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Chase,

Fortunately I do not suffer from seasickness as a rule. I can sometimes get a little quezy but on the trip so far I have been pretty immune. I find that one nights sleep aboard when sailing gets my sealegs just fine.

One of the thigs I like most about the boat is its easy motion. Sometime there is a lot of motion but it is easy. Seakindlyness is a real big plus for any ocean crossing boat.

I do have a second set of winches in the cockpit. They are handy. With the staysail they are usually just used as snubbers since the sail is only about 125 feet.

The immediate cure for weather helm is to put a reef in the main. In an earlier thread I recommended learning to get your boat to sail close hauled with the helm free. Doing this will teach you a great deal about your boat and it doesn't cost a thing.

I found on the trip from Suva to NZ that the boat balances much better with the Yankee and staysail on a beam reach than with the genoa if the wind is 15 knots or more. Its about the same area but it works far better.

When my drifter was still in good shape I sheeted that on the main boom and poled out the genoa in light winds. But the drifter blew out a panel, it was an old used sail. I am having a new one made here in Whangarei 'cause I sure missed having that setup sometimes.

Take care,
Fred
chase

balancing sails

Post by chase »

Fred,

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure it out. This summer while cruising I sailed a lot with one reef tucked in the main. I sailed with staysail and reefed main, and just the yankee and reefed main when winds were over 15. Perhaps I'm not carrying enough headsail?

I do remember the boat finding a "groove" a little better when running the yankee and reefed main. I was going forward to drop the yankee (still had not installed the downhaul you recommended, since have) and when luffing, the sails were just flogging too much. I found that it would more or less sail close hauled long enough to yank down the yank without all the racket. Is that purple line your downhaul?

Making the six hour trip to the coast today, looking forward to it.

Thanks Fred,

Chase
fenixrises

All videos uploaded

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

All the videos are now uploaded to my server. About 1 GIG total.

The purple line is the staysail halyard.

Take care,
Fred
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Fenix Interior Modifications

Post by George Shaunfield »

Fred,

On your website where you discussed the planned modifications, you had planned to convert your head to a Lavac-style. On the Westsail 28 that I am now recommissioning I am eliminating the pressure water and the electric head. The Jabsco head (bowl and base) look like the pictures I have seen of a Lavac. My question is how were you going to modify the seat and lid to allow creating a vacuum? Also, what manual bilge pump characteristics would you recommend?

I welcome responses form others with insight on these questions.
George
fenixrises

Answer to George

Post by fenixrises »

Hi George,

I am a little hazy about details on the conversion. I have heard it is possible to do this with many of the older marine heads. I ultimately opted for the bucket and chucket method aboard Fenix.

From what I know it is necessary to seal the seat and lid. Possibly some type of weather stripping could be used. You sit on top of the lid to insure a vacumn tight seal when flushing.

I think any large manual bilge pump would do the trick, something on the order of a Whale Gusher #10 at least.

Take care,
Fred