Florida Fleet

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Florida Fleet

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,

Over the past few years there has been considerable interest in the formation of a Florida Fleet.
Well, we have good news. Zeida (pronounced ‘Say-da’) Cecilia-Mendez (CDSOA Member sailing Biscayne Bay) is organizing a Florida Fleet. In that effort I’m trying to lend a hand.

Working from the ‘Registry’ on the Cape Dory Board I’m trying to verifying e-mails, home ports, CD Ownership, etc. before we send out specific info as to the formation meeting and date.

Using the ‘Registry’ has proved to be difficult - it is dated. CD’ers will log in all their important info, but forget to update it as e-mail addresses, tel. numbers and boat ownership change.

Two fold request;
- 1. Please update the ‘Registry’ as applicable to you.
- 2. If you and your CD sail the FL waters and are interested in the Florida Fleet please e-mail or call me with your contact info.

BTW: We have currently have approximately 10-12 Memberships in the CDSOA that sail in Florida waters. Please feel free to send me your intentions also; I’ll pass them on to Zeida :)

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Vice Commodore CDSOA Inc.
860-859-9600, lmacdona at gdeb dot com
Webmaster wrote:E-mail address modified or deleted by webmaster. Please see the "Sticky" located at the top of this forum titled:

Sticky: Important...regarding e-mail addresses.....PLEASE READ!

To contact the person who posted the above message, please click on either the "email" or "pm" button below.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Chuck
Galveston Bay, TX

Florida Fleet Or "Sunshine Fleet" ?

Post by Chuck »

Either way, I am really glad to see this moving forward. I know there are lots of Cape Dories in Florida, and This will be a terrific new fleet. It was good meeting Zeida in Annapolis and having a chance to visit for a while. If there is any way the Gulf Coast Fleet can help, please let me know. We started with just five boats and now have over thirty members in our Fleet. Thanks Leo for keeping things moving.
Chuck
Gulf Coast Fleet Capt.
Chuck
Ron Brassord

SE Florida Fleet?

Post by Ron Brassord »

We sail a CD 22 COOT out of Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse Point, and would like to join the fleet. Any information would be welcomed.
Ron & Diann Brassord Cape Dory 22 COOT
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

hI, Ron and Diann

We are completing the necessary forms and will be sending you and all other new Florida members the info in the very near future. In the meantime, if you can get a good digital photo of your boat and have it ready, for we will be asking for it to include in the Fleet membership. For now, WELCOME, COOT!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Leo MacDonald

FL Fleet

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Ron & Diann,

I'm collecting the info for Zeida. As she mentioned we're collecting info from the CD'ers interested in a FL Fleet. When the data gets collected Zeida or I will make a Cape Dory Board posting as to the place, time, date, etc.

In the mean time please e-mail or call me with your contact & boat info. Thanks.

Welcome aboard :D

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
860-859-9600 (1700-2100), lmacdona at gdeb dot com
Webmaster wrote:E-mail address modified or deleted by webmaster. Please see the "Sticky" located at the top of this forum titled:

Sticky: Important...regarding e-mail addresses.....PLEASE READ!

To contact the person who posted the above message, please click on either the "email" or "pm" button below.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Dick Barthel

Couple in Sarasota

Post by Dick Barthel »

Leo,

I will send you a private email with the name and number of a Cape Dory couple that live in Sarasota. They had called me about our Northeast Fleet activities this summer because they were up visiting in CT. They didn't know anything about our organization and had only heard about our fleet activities in a magazine.

They seem very anxious to share some experiences with other CD owners.

Dick
Brandon
Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Also in Florida

Post by Brandon »

I also have a Cape Dory next to lighthouse point/ Hillsboro Inlet. I keep it behind a house next to the intersection of US 1 and Copans. It only takes me 5 minutes by water to get to the bridge. My boat is a CD 25D. I would be interested in joining the group. Let me know!

Brandon
The road goes ever on and on,
And I must follow it if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some place
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say.

B. Baggins
Kurt Spangenberg

Post by Kurt Spangenberg »

I am interested as well...just signed up for membership and my registry is up to date. CD 27 in St Petersburg

Thanks
Carl Thunberg

Brenno - Great to hear from you again

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I was starting to wonder if we had lost you. Are you still on that Sunseeker? Any news on the restoration, or is that on hold for a while?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Chuck
Galveston Bay, TX

A New Fleet Is Forming!

Post by Chuck »

Hey, This is great. Look at all the new interest. Wow! Congratulations Zeida!!!
Chuck
Gulf Coast Fleet Captain
Chuck
Brandon
Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Carl... yes still on the sunseeker

Post by Brandon »

I just brought it down from CT. to Miami Beach. (When I was departing Ocean City, Md. I had ice flying off of my bow and crashing into my windshield (no kidding!). That was a first. I didn't get much time off this summer/ into fall. I only had one full planned weekend off. I took it off to surprise my mother for her birthday (she was feeling down, thinking about getting old and all that...) So I went up for the weekend and took her skydiving in Newport! She loved it! Now my dad wants to go and she wants to go again!
I was hoping to catch up with some CD'rs in the Sound, but just couldn't get the time off. The owner of the Sunseeker lives in Greenwich, so he was on the boat almost every day. I'm hoping to be able to get some sailng time on my own boat now that I am back down in South Florida. Also... I just made the last payment on my CD 25D, so now it is actually mine! I'm looking forward to putting money towards it now for the big trip! (a dodger, bigger rigging, gps, ect... the list goes on)
The road goes ever on and on,
And I must follow it if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some place
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say.

B. Baggins
Leo MacDonald

FL Fleet formation

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,

We have had over fifty (50) responses (and that's just with the good e-mail addresses). The current number of CDSOA members in FL more that qualify for a fleet - things are looking real good :D

A lot of the e-mail addresses in the 'Registry' are old, etc. If I have not e-mailed you and you would like to be included in the new fleet please e-mail or call me at;
<LeoCD33NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net>, <lmacdonaNOSPAM@gdeb.com> or 860-859-9600. (Remember to remove the 'NOSPAM'.)

Fair Winds,
Leo
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
jambalaya

Florida Cape Dory group

Post by jambalaya »

Please include me
Will
"Jambalaya"
Will Parker
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

bump.....bump.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

....just making sure as many people as possible see this message thread.....
Leo MacDonald

Florida Fleet

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All FL CD Owners,

Thank you all who have responded :D

I have about completed my list. In all we have over 50 boats expressing interest in the FL Fleet.

I'll be sending the info to Zeida with in a week. She, in turn, will be scheduling a "Florida Fleet Formation Meeting" (probably after the holidays.)

If anyone has yet to contact me or if you know a CD'er not aware of our website or organization please give them my contact info - we want to wrap this up soon.

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
860-859-9600, lmacdona at gdeb. dot com or LeoCD at sbcglobal dot net
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald