Ha! Even the pros goof occasionally...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

Ha! Even the pros goof occasionally...

Post by Didereaux »

Intrepid Stuck In The Mud
Intrepid Stuck in the Mud, Mission Scrubbed

(November 6, 2006)—The Coast Guard says plans to move the legendary aircraft carrier the USS Intrepid from its dock on New York’s Hudson River to New Jersey for repairs and restoration are on hold because the vessel is stuck in the mud at low tide.

The carrier is home to the Intrepid Air, Sea, and Space Museum, which attracts 700,000 visitors a year......

----------------------------
Story goes on to say the refurbishing is going to run 60 million! Wonder which Halliburton subsidiary landed that contract?
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Looks like there will be a "Change Of Command" ceremony at the Coast Guard real soon. :oops:

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Reply

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:Looks like there will be a "Change Of Command" ceremony at the Coast Guard real soon. :oops:

Dick
I think the project was managed by private towing companies. The CG only gets involved once Intrepid is aground. Luckily, the ship only moved about 15 feet from the pier before getting stuck so it's not much of a hazard to navigation.

According the what I read, Intrepid generally sits firmly in the mud. They emptied all ballast tanks and dredged a channel to get her out, but the propellers dug right into the mud as they tried backing her away. (All under tow power... the props weren't turning.)

When's the next spring tide?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Stuck In The Mud/INTREPID

Post by Oswego John »

Its OJs son, Mike. As a Marine, I spent most of 3yrs aboard U.S N. vessels. Two of them C.V.Ns, yes, I was a sea going "BELL HOP",and proud of it, so I met a lot of the old crew while I lived on the "LONG ISLAND". I would go into the city quite often to visit the Grand Ole Girl when ever my mind was drifting on a bad tide. It was very good RX for me. My point? Its important to have these vessels at our ports to remember and to honour our great men,women and the fantastic vessels they protected our great country with, I would go at least once a month to visit this ship and meet the crews, I almost took a job onboard in 92. Went to Idaho instead,(STRANGE MAN IM TOLD) No open water to speak of and a lot less sailing folks than here, I didnt last long. I remember my grand folks telling me stories of Teddy Roosevelts "GREAT WHITE FLEET", in Oyster Bay Harbour, now that must have been really COOL! Intrepid, may she sail forever,stuck or not. SEMPER FIDELIS, The DOG says WOOOF! Mike.(P.S. if McAllisters tugs can not move her,no one can!)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Reply

Post by Carter Brey »

Neil Gordon wrote: When's the next spring tide?
Next spring tide's not until December.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

As someone who was aboard for the last few years of Intrepids' active service I think that the 60 million that is needed to refurbish her will be money well spent in educating those 700,000 annual visitors in the role that she played in allowing us to continue to sail freely. It is also worth noting that the money does not come from tax dollars, but from revenues generated from those visitors. As for the Coast Guards' role; being aground is no big deal for them, they spend a lot of time in shallow waters, most of it getting our sorry butts out of trouble when we put our boats where we didn't want them to be.

Steve Kuhar
CD30(b) "Aikane"
bottomscraper

USS Intrepid freed from Hudson River Mud

Post by bottomscraper »

USS Intrepid freed from Hudson River Mud:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... htm?csp=34
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Todays the day....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Those of us that live in the NY metro area and sail in NY harbor waters have been waiting with baited breath for Intrepid to budge from her slip.

After the first attempts to move her in November, and finding her hard aground, they went to work dredging. And, finally, today they were able to move her. CLICK HERE to read about it.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay