Looking For Feedback

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Clay Stalker

Looking For Feedback

Post by Clay Stalker »

While the boat in question is not a Cape Dory (it is an Alberg design, however), I am looking for some feedback from board members regarding this boat. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1964 Pearson Triton 28 from a friend of mine who is retiring and moving to Panama (with his new 50' catamaran). He has completely restored it, including new head, holding tank, and plumbing and recored all decks and topped with Trex rather than teak (this was all documented in various issues of Good Old Boat over the past couple of years). It is pretty well equipped, including radar, propane, bebuilt v-berth, and various other improvements. Hull is painted green with polyurethane and looks pretty good (though not exactly an Awlgrip job to be sure), sails are good, roller furling etc. One issue, an Atomic 4 engine, decent shape, no problems, but a concern of mine as I have no experience with them as I do with Yanmar diesels. I can probably have this thing for around 5K complete. I am interested in the collective wisdom of my friends on this board. No need for me to make a decision until spring, as he is not actively selling it now. What do you think with this limited amount of info??

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hell yes Clay. Tritons are wonderful boats! My first boat had an Atomic Four and I loved it and it is still running!

These boats refinished usually go for 12-16K, so the price is right and you get back into a great sailing boat.

Take care
Bill Member #250.
Ed Haley

Great Boat!

Post by Ed Haley »

Clay:
Good Old Boat (S/O 06; p.34-35) has an article on a 30 Triton and from this article you can get some feel for a 28. They're venerable boats and if you can find one that has been taken care of, you've got a winner.
bill2

sacre bleu

Post by bill2 »

There should be no hesitation whatever. Solid boats that have circumnavigated ( check out "atom" just off top of my head and I recall cruising world or sail doing stories about tritons going up to alaska ) among other accomlishments.

My first real sailboat was a Triton ( #135 as I recall ) . Like all alberg's will go anywhere you can and places you can't while keeping you in comfort and safe.

The concerns are the same as CD's - decks/coring, rigging/sails, old wiring/plumbing and sooner ( rather than later ) swap in a diesel - not a big deal as you're saving a bunch on the price of a world cruiser. Also some ( me included ) replaced the doghouse lights with lexan or better if going offshore . I'm sure I'd remember more with proper libations . Oh don't be afraid of gas/A-4's but don't forget it explodes if not handled properly .

See D Spurr's book upgrading the cruising sailboat for guidance - he liked them.

Bon chance
tartansailor

Triton 28

Post by tartansailor »

Close your eyes and buy, if not give me the sellers phone #
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Duncan Maio

Welcome Back

Post by Duncan Maio »

It's good to have you back. I'm going down to the marina this morning; should I tell Andy to hold a mooring for you?
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Triton

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Clay,

When I decided to get a keelboat the first book I read was "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" by Dan Spurr, specifically addressing a Triton 28. In that, you have one of the best authorities out there.

As previously mentioned, avoid the big bang - get a diesel. Heck, with so many on the board upgrading (resd; more POWER), you might find a good used one right here on the board.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Wayne Grenier

Looking for feedback

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I would buy a gas snifer and mount it in the bilge and make sure the fuel lines are new and make sure you run the blower prior to starting the engine. The carb shold be torn down and rebuilt once a year. Also, there are I believe numerous places that sell replacement parts for the automic 4-(as well as a bolt in diesel replacement)-electronic ignition would be a good idea (assuming it hasn't been upgraded allready) Obviously a diesel engine increases the value of the boat, the differnece is if a gas motor won't start I can thinkl of a dozen things that could be wrong, if a diesel doesn't start, there are only one or two things that could be wrong-
Clay Stalker

More Information on Allways, Triton 28

Post by Clay Stalker »

If anyone is interested in checking this boat out further, take a look at the following website:

www.caribbean-sea-adventures.com
click on the "About Us" section.
Go to the "Allways" link

This provides pictures and a full description of Mark's exhaustive 3 year restoration.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

East versus West Boat

Post by JWEells »

Check to see where it was made. The East Coast built ones are wood cored decks but the Westies are solid glass.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

"All Ways"

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Clay,

Just finished visiting the web site you referenced. Very impressive re-build. Please let me know when you plan an onboard inspection, I'll take notes for you. :D
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

great boat, great engine

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Go for it Clay!

rit
Dean Abramson

Thumbs Up

Post by Dean Abramson »

Clay,

For 5K, it looks like a real catch. Nice boat. Go for it. I think that there is a Universal diesel which fits in the Atomic 4 space, if you decide to go diesel.

But I wanted you to crew on my boat next year!

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dick Barthel

Steal of the Century!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Clay,

You've got to be kidding. She is gorgeous.

Dick
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

She's a steel at $5K....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Clay,

If she's in good shape and surveys well, I think she's a steal at $5K -- Atomic 4 and all. Grab her before her owner changes his mind.

Hey, when will both you and Ellie fully retire so you can move closer to the boat?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay