Spaghetti in the Galley

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Spaghetti in the Galley

Post by SeaBelle »

A recent post mentioned tossing lines down the companionway to reduce 'spaghetti' in the cockpit. That's what we do on a friend's Sabre 45.

But it reminded me to ask this question about 'spaghetti in the galley'. While SeaBelle has a 2-burner alcohol stove, Bill's Sabre has a gimballed, propane, 3 burner and oven.

I just don't get it! Last May on the way back from St. John, USVI I tried to prepare a spaghetti dinner (under way, of course). I released the barrel bolts so the gimbal was enabled and put a pot of water on the large, rear burner and the stove tilted WAY back; the weight of the water rather than the angle of heel controlled! Well that would not work, so I engaged the barrel bolts and soldiered on. Minutes later the boat moved and the boiling pot moved - it slid forward and I grabbed it but not before it dumped 1/2 the water but none of the pasta on the cabin sole. St. Nicholas and Father Neptune were with me, I survived unscathed and unscaulded.

I discovered that there was a gadget aboard that clamped onto the stove and held the pot in (athartship, front to back of the stove) place. That solved the sliding problem. I also found a clip-on strap that held cookie in place - another big win. But the gimbal problem remains unsolved. What do I need to know?
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Jack,

Sounds like that stove isn't very well balanced. How much was the boat heeling? The stove should swing to keep the pot level. Maybe the boat was heeling more than you thought and it just seemed like it was tilting alot?

Remember, the back burner is the 3rd burner. Use it when numbers 1 and 2 are both in use, otherwise use 1 or 2.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
iropicc

jumping jack splash

Post by iropicc »

here is a trick I learned years ago. If you want to boil 2 gallons of water on burner three,split up 2 gallons of water between the two front burners. This will balance the stove and allow the gimbal to operate properly. You don't have to heat up the front burners, they are there for the wieght you see. By the way locking the stove in place while it is in operation is not a good idea. Also you may want to think twice about strapping yourself to an ungimballed stove in operation. aldente winds, iropicc
Ron M.

Buckle-Up

Post by Ron M. »

We have a stainless support bar in front of the stove to hold when healed over while cooking. Attached to that is an old seat belt that is used when healed to starboard and trying to prepare food or drink when underway, one can balance quite comfortably with both hands free.
________
Honda cb77 specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Put something heavy in the oven to increase the pendulum effect? Hey at least you put enough water in the pot to cook the pasta. I bought some really cheap spaghetti and tried to cook it in too little water while sailing this summer. I never knew noodles could create sooo much goo. I poured off the slime added more water and it just kept coming. This on our first day out when stomachs were not so settled. I thought it was okay but no one else seemed very hungry, Steve.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Spagetti in the Galley

Post by SeaBelle »

Thanks all.

Cathy, you made me realize this was yet another example of tunnel vision. When I saw that big burner (#3) I thought 'big pot'. When it was incompatible with the gimbal, I was so much in 'big pot; big burner' mode (even until today) I saw a gimbal problem rather than a placement problem. BTW, I don't remember how much we were heeled but on that leg we had days-long 30 - 35kn winds with some hours over 40kn. We were sailing comfortably (and heeled) at 6.5kn under a triple reefed main and a jib furled to hankerchief size. After almost wearing a pot of boiling water cookie announced that sit down dinners were being replaced by sandwiches. Speaking of sandwiches, when I made the dinner sandwiches I made a bunch extra and bagged them. They were eaten on the overnight watches. I realized that until then the crew grazed on junk food all night. Now this 'Field of Dreams' approach is standard. We need well fed, well rested crew.

iropicc, I like your tip - it is the answer - and will use it. 'jumping jack splash' - I love it.

Ron, Bill's rig is the same but the 'seat belt' is a specially designed gadget. The pair of thingies that clamps to the side of the stove and hold pots in place is also nifty.

Steve, others provided answers while you provided empathy. We often need both.

BTW, it was on this trip that cookie announced that dinner would be a mid-day (1400) meal. The full crew ate dinner together. It was less likely that someone would be woken up to eat, we could eat and cleanup in daylight, and no one's night vision was affected. After dinner the off-watch crew napped in preparation for their overnight watches. This worked well and is now standard. I stand by my decision of sandwiches for dinner in extreme conditions but full crew sit down dinners are the norm.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Offshore food tips.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

For anybody that's interested, I thought I'd share some of what we've learned regarding eating while on a long passage:

For anybody that hasn't been offshore (sailing overnight -- more than 24 hours) and worries about how they're going to fit a crew around a table to eat while underway (especially on a small boat), forget it, the salon table is useless while at sea -- so are plates, use deep-sided bowls or dog dishes and save the plates for use while the boat is resting comfortably in a safe harbor.

We have never used the salon table while underway though we were able to use the cockpit table in periods of light wind. Mostly, if down below, we ate while sitting on the floor trying to wedge ourselves into a tight spot or with feet firmly up against a bulkhead or we ate in the cockpit -- also wedged in.

It's nearly impossible to use both a fork and knife at the same time since you need one hand to hang on to your bowl. So food needs to be easily scooped with a spoon (like soup, stew or chili), wrapped around a spoon or fork (like spaghetti), easily cut with a fork, or eaten with your hands. Since soup is very sloshy and easily spilled, load the bowl up with crackers before serving to soak up some of that liquid or serve with bread; crackers make the soup a bit more filling too.

Sandwiches are easy since you can hold them with one hand. And I have found that it's easier, and the bread actually lasts longer, if we use roll-ups or tortillas rather than regular bread (loaves). Loaf bread tends to go stale and/or turn green and fuzzy rather quickly on a boat. The roll-ups last much longer and you can serve them wrapped in a boat napkin (paper towel) so you don't need a plate or bowl, which makes clean-up much easier.

If you don't have refrigeration (we don't), and you prefer fresh vegetables to canned, squash and small pumpkins last nearly forever and don't need refrigeration. They are also easily baked, boiled or steamed. Serve them with some walnuts or pecans and some maple syrup and they're really delicious.

Apples last a long time too. An apple easily fits into the pocket of your foulies, so they make a good snack for the night watch. Slice them and ad them to chicken or tuna salad -- add raisons too (which also last forever), or bake them and server them for dessert.

Let's hear your offshore food tips!

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

One more hint

Post by Mike »

If you are going to be using the top of the stove offshore put on your foulies before you start. A hot meal in your lap can really ruin your day.

Mike
s/v Adagio
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Shortcut

Post by bhartley »

Cook your spaghetti ahead of time the night before you leave. Rinse really well. Add olive oil. Seal in a ziploc bag. Squish all the air out. Store in the icebox.

When it's time to "cook" you only have to boil a very small amount of water. Drop the pasta in the boiling water. Stir & serve.

The noodles will last 3-4 days without getting yucky if you remember the olive oil.

Try it at home first to see what 4 day old spaghetti is like. Better than it sounds! Of course you still have to deal with sauce, but that's not as sloshy as boiling water.

Bly
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Pita Bread will last a while and is easily stored.
Bill Member #250.