mast steps

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

darmoose
Mystic Rose

mast steps

Post by darmoose »

good morning to all

has anyone used or is anyone now using the removable mast steps. one manufacturer is Cape Horn, they are stainless rod and you install them in predrilled holes on the way up and remove them on the way down.

of course one would also use a safety harness attached to a halyard.

would like opinions and facts if we have any experienced users on board.

thanks
darrell randolph
mysric rose
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

ABI mast steps, slightly different

Post by John D. »

I'm installing ABI mast steps - the 2-piece kind that stay attached and fold up flat (sort of) against the mast. I still have to install the last 2. I like them.

I've installed them solo, with the mast up, climbing as I go. I used the halyard as a safety line, connecting my bosun chair to it with a prussik knot and sliding up as I go.

Each step takes four 1/4"x20 machine screws, in an inverted T pattern. I drill and tap the top hole and attach the fixed part of the step with 1 screw; drill and tap a second hole through the part, and install a second screw, then drill and tap the last 2 holes through the part. That way works better than drilling all four holes freehand, because they are sure to line up with the part better. After I get all four holes drilled and tapped, I loosen the fixed part and slip the moving step part into place, and re-install all screws with some loc-tite stuff.

For a CD27, I'm using 17 steps bottom to top. The first one is at shoulder level, because I can get that high using the whisker pole bail and halyard winches as steps. After that, I installed one every 18", alternating sides. At the top, I'm installing the last two at the same level, to make a platform of sorts. When I'm on those, the masthead will be at chest level.

One problem I had during install is that when you pull your toolbag up to the mast head, it can catch a step and fold it up. It is impossible to fold them open as you descend, so if it happens you just have to lower yourself by your arms to the next step. Once I realized it could happen, I've been more careful with the toolbag, and it hasn't happened again.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Mast Steps

Post by Zeida »

Hi Darrell....

Today was a beautiful, soft, lazy day in Biscayne Bay. Bandolera, with her two sails up, was lazily breezing along at 4.5 k. Sunny skies, very peaceful sail. Went most of the way down to Elliott Key on auto pilot (my old Autohelm 3000), then turned around and came home, again on autopilot. Bando is amazing, and we had such a simple, peaceful sail.

Re the mast steps, Bando has two of the stainless type (like John D) that you bolt into the mast and they fold flat against it after using them. They are a must for me, since they enable me to reach the fead of the mainsl. If I need to get all the way up to the mast, I wait until a couple of fellow sailors at the marina can hoist me up on my bosun's chair. I find my mast steps a big plus, but one on each side is all I have. Best to your wife. When are you coming down this way again? Sailing season is starting here now! Hope to see you guys soon.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 563983.jpg[/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Folding Mast Steps

Post by cbrenton »

I have been considering folding mast steps on my CD 33. A friend told me that he had heard that they rattle quite loudly when it blows. Would appreciate any comments from those with personal experience.

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Darrell,

I've got an aluminum "Prime Climb" mast ladder manufactured by SJS Custom Marine Products, Inc.

It's a great ladder and easy to set up. Each mast step extrusion fits into and slides up the mast's sail track. Visit their web site to see how it looks and works.

http://www.prime-climb.com/primeclimb.htm

The ladders have to be custom made since each mast manufacturer's masts are configured differently -- some take slides, some tack slugs, and the tracks are different sizes.

Anyway, it's another option.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Rattling

Post by John D. »

The ABI ones have a hard plastic screw that is supposed to prevent rattling. They seem to wedge in the folded position pretty tightly. In fact, they need a good pop with the heel of my hand to go into the open position.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

another option

Post by Carter Brey »

I've used this product. Very simple, relatively inexpensive, stoutly made, works well. I'll probably get another one.

http://www.hurst-marine.co.uk
Dean Abramson

I have them

Post by Dean Abramson »

Darrell,

I think I have the exact steps you describe. Not sure what I think of them yet. The previous owner left them installed permanently, and that is what I did this past season (my first with this boat).

When the boat was trucked up here, I removed the steps for the trip. With the mast down, you don't have gravity working as well to hold them on, and I was afraid I would lose them en route. Before the mast got stepped, I put them back on the mast, but I had to really rassle some of them in, making me wonder whether the use-them-as-needed mode was very practical. But some of mine were obviously bent, so a new set might go in easier.

Any non-folding steps can occasionally snag lines. I had a non-sailor with me, and we had one pretty sloppy tack, and managed to snag a step, and flip it into Casco Bay. But that was an odd case: at that moment my jib had ripped, and I think that it was the huge rip in the sail that grabbed it. (you know you're having a good day on the water when...) It is possible that it was the step that ripped the jib, but this old yankee was more than ready to go.

Two more issues. If you leave them on the mast, there is more chance of them getting bent during stepping, unstepping, and storing; here in Maine, that is an annual affair. Also, if they don't stay in the mast, you have a lot of holes in the mast. I can't decide if there is much of a downside to this, but certainly, rain will get in there and seep down; I figure masts are not exactly watertight anyway, but do wonder about adding more moisture to a place which basically will never really dry.

My mast and boat are about to be trucked home, with the mast in a rack on the side of the trailer, and as I write this, I am wondering whether I ought to go extract the steps for the trip. It's not that long a trip...

I think that what I am going to do next season is put them in with clear silicone caulk in the holes, to help keep out moisture and make them less likely to get extracted by a flailing line.

These things seem well made, and I like the low-tech nature of them. But like I said, the jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
darmoose
Mystic Rose

mast steps

Post by darmoose »

dean,

have you ever climbed them? haver you ever worked at the top of the masthead while standing on them?

darrell randolph
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

What? Are you nuts?

Seriously, no. But the guys at my boatyard did when they installed my radar.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I was able to work on the top of my mast with two sail ties as steps. Just tie a small loop at one end, a large loop to hold your foot at the other end. When you want to stand up at any point along the mast, not just at the top, wrap the sling around the mast, the large loop passing through the small loop. Use two so you can stand with two feet. Once you put weight on the slings, the friction will hold the slings (and you) in place. Obviously I required a lift on a bosun's chair to get up to the top. Perhaps light-weight people may not benefit from this, but you can try it out at deck level to see if it works for you. I spent about half an hour drilling and tapping a hole in the mast truck with no problem.
darmoose
Mystic Rose

zeida

Post by darmoose »

thanks for the info

you lucky girl,you. i can just imagine how beautiful it was to be on the bay with the weather like it has been.

we were out in the ocean that day and while it was nice it was not as nice as in the bay.

we are looking forward to a opportunity to come back down as soon as we can. so busy right now trying to sell the house, and have been going back and forth to baltimore to visit my daughter. she is in her last month now, and all looks good. we will be in maryland for my grandsons arrival.

anyway, glad to know you are enjoying bando and the bay. maybee we will get a chance around the christmas or new years holidays.

happy sailing
darrell