CD 25 Port

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Scott B.

CD 25 Port

Post by Scott B. »

Duncan Maio

Holding Tank?

Post by Duncan Maio »

The holding tank on my CD27 is vented in a similar location on the port side; I have since added a second vent near the toerail at the head (very close to the tank) which significantly improved ventilation (and odor).

BTW, when I added the second vent, I installed a T fitting and connected the top of the vented loop to this line as well - and then Rhode Island became a "no discharge" zone and the vented loop has been dry ever since!
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Scott B.

CD25 Port

Post by Scott B. »

Duncan,

Thanx for the reply. I will consider the same improvement as you. What year is your CD27? was it already equipped with a pump out discharge port when built or did you/someone have it installed?
Carl Thunberg

Not factory installed

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Scott,
FYI - This vent must have been installed by a previous owner because it is not original to the boat. I'm curious if you've ever experienced seawater intrusion into the vent. It's in a location that can get a lot of spray and, under the right (or wrong) conditions, could actually be submerged for very brief periods of time.

If you do get seawater intrustion, you may want to consider investing in a shield to go over this vent. I tried unsuccessfully to get a part no. off West Marine's web-site. Basically, it's a shield that deflects water away from a hull penetration. You see them a lot on marine electronics to keep rainwater away from where a wire comes through a hole in the fiberglass. In this case you'd mount it sideways. Just a thought.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Duncan Maio

CD25 Port

Post by Duncan Maio »

Scott:

My CD27 is a 1977 model, hull #37. I think the holding tank setup was original to the boat - there is a deck pumpout, a tiny (six gallon) holding tank and an overboard pumpout, so you can either pump directly overboard from the head, pump the holding tank overboard, or use a pumping station or "honey wagon."

The original vent had a long horizontal run forward, which could collect liquid if the tank overfilled or from condensation - that's one reason the experts recommend short vertical runs for vent lines.

The Big Plan for the boat involves a new, larger holding tank, either under the port settee berth or under the vee berth (where the water tank is, and add a water tank under the settee); either one will get the tank closer to a vertical run to a vent.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI