Thoughts about a CD 22D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Thoughts about a CD 22D

Post by Sea Hunt »

As readers of this board well know, I am a rookie/tadpole sailor with very limited experience. I have been looking for a Cape Dory for almost two (2) years, preferably a CD Ty Weekender, a CD 22, or possibly a CD 25D.

I recently saw a CD 22D listed for sale. I have looked at several CD 22s but I have never inspected a CD 22D. I understand there were very few manufactured. I assume there was a reason for the limited production of the CD 22D.

With my very limited knowledge and experience, it seems to me that a 1GM Yanmar diesel (8 hp) in such a small sailboat is just too much weight aft. From the pictures I have seen, it also looks like the access area to the Yanmar is even less than on other CDs - tight quarters all around. I believe this is the same Yanmar diesel that was original equipment in the CD 25D and the CD 27.

I would much appreciate the thoughts and experience of CD owners primarily concerning the issue of whether a Yanmar diesel in a CD 22 is appropriate or is simply too much weight aft.

Thanks,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
viejo

Post by viejo »

I had one for two years, before the size of my family required us to move up to a 26d.

The 22d was a great little boat, the weight distribution was not a problem. The ONLY problem I had with the boat was the engine (being a single cylinder) seemed to throb when the engine was at idle.

If I could get that boat back, I think I would and be very happy with it.
barfwinkle

The "Thumping"

Post by barfwinkle »

is nothing more than a one lunger (cylinder) doing its thing. As you know as soon as you raise the throttle, it smooths out.

As to the reason for so few 22Ds, I would guess (strictly that) there just wasnt that much demand for a 22 foot inboard. But that's just a guess.

Good luck!
Bill Member #250.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

CD22d

Post by Gary M »

Hey Sea,

Last spring I took position of a CD22.

There's not a lot of space there for a deisel but I would not have left that stop me from buying one.

Just make sure it's in really good condition. I'd rather replace my out board the an inboard.

I'm really satisfied with my boat and think if I had to do it over I would prefer the outboard model.

Gary
viejo

Re: The "Thumping"

Post by viejo »

[quote="barfwinkle"]is nothing more than a one lunger (cylinder) doing its thing. As you know as soon as you raise the throttle, it smooths out.
......quote]

I realized that, but it was a bit disconcerting to see the upper shrouds in tune with that "thumping" and slapping the life lines in a visible rythym. :D

Great boat, good engine, I was NOT trying to put it down at all. If I was, I'd have not bought the 26d.........
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

it was a bit disconcerting to see the upper shrouds in tune with that "thumping" and slapping the life lines in a visible rythym.
Or the ripples (not the wine) emanating from the hull at low idle :D

Certainly would not stop me from buying another, however on a 22, a diesel would be my very last concern. As the previous poster stated "outboards are considerably cheaper than diesels".

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I owned a 1983 CD22D for two years. I had to sell the boat due to health issues. I was quite pleased with the 22D and really hated to part with her. The weight distribution was fine and really not an issue. Please note that the 1GM engine with transmission weighs approx. 160 lbs. Access to the engine can be somewhat of a challenge. I learned to do many tasks with one arm extending through the openings to the engine compartment from each quarter berth. If the 1GM has been properly maintained, it should last many years before any major service is required. I would definitely recommend a survey for whatever boat you plan to purchase.

Good luck,

Jim :)
viejo

Post by viejo »

barfwinkle wrote:
it was a bit disconcerting to see the upper shrouds in tune with that "thumping" and slapping the life lines in a visible rythym.
Or the ripples (not the wine) emanating from the hull at low idle :D

Certainly would not stop me from buying another, however on a 22, a diesel would be my very last concern. As the previous poster stated "outboards are considerably cheaper than diesels".

Fair Winds
That's true, but when one is "death on outboards" like I am, the diesel ends up being cheaper
GilB
Location: Previously owned a CD 22, Alberg 29, Pearson 424, tartan 30, Yamaha 25

CD 22D

Post by GilB »

I had a CD 22 without the diesel and just loved it. The outboard on the stern left a lot of open storage space under the cockpit. The boat sails very well. It needs an almost straight mast - about 2" rake _ and you eliminate weather helm. I would rate it as a good boat to learn to sail on or for an experienced owner who would like to do some overnighting and wants a quality boat.

Gil Burns
Regards,
Gil Burns