CD 25 ENGINE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rossum

CD 25 ENGINE

Post by rossum »

Is there an engine that would fit the CD 25 (1976) well? I have a 1987 Johnson Evinrude 8 hp, extra long shaft, with generator. it still works as long as it keeps getting fixed but it makes me nervous.
Carl Thunberg

Welcome to the Board

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Rossum,

First, welcome to the Board. You will find a wealth of information in the archives on this topic. You'll find we've kicked this one around quite a bit. Hit the Search button and in the Search Query type in "CD25 outboard". You'll find 346 matches.

The consensus seems to be the Tohatsu/Nissan 6HP is the outboard of choice for the 25, although there's at least one of us who uses a Honda Classic 8HP.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
rossum

CD25 engine

Post by rossum »

Carl,
thank you very much for your summary of the 346 postings,
I will go for the 6hp 4 stroke ultra long shaft.
Any suggestions as to when is a safe time to preemptively get rid of the 1984 8 hp Johnson?
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Consider the short shaft

Post by Roy J. »

Rossum,

As to when to swap out your motor, given that the present one is fully depreciated, whenever you can afford it, or the repairs/frustration become too onerous. When swapping, I suggest you consider switching to a short shaft motor, and cutting down the mounting board in the well to keep the prop deep enough. This will allow you to easily store the motor either on the cockpit floor, or even better, in a cockpit locker. I have been using the 8hp Johnson short shaft that came with Auburn for almost 4 years now, even in some heavy sea (4'-6') against serious wind (25kph) conditions off Race Point on Cape Cod, with no cavitation whatsoever. When I swap the Johnson for a Tohatsu, I will stay with a short shaft. Both John Ring and Carter Brey have documented use of the short shaft motor on their websites. I offer this as worth consideration as it will be less expensive, and keeps the crud off your motor when you store it in the locker. It will also allow you to sail without the motor in the well at all if you choose, reducing drag below the waterline.

Good luck.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
tartansailor

I'll Second the Short Shaft

Post by tartansailor »

Right now we have an 8hp Honda with a long shaft. I do not like this set-up at all because the long shaft puts the cavitation plate way, way low in the water.
Additionally it is too heavy for me to lift out when under sail. It is drag city.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Ron Brassord

CD 25 motor

Post by Ron Brassord »

I have installed engines on two CD 25s both short shafts and vote that is the way to go. The best rig was an 8 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. It only weighs about 60 pounds and can be removed easily. It stores horizontal in the well with the gas tank removed. The big advantage is the engine can be turned in the well to assist with maneurving. In a CD 25 this is vital. The 4 stroke 8 hp Yamaha will not fiit , the lower unit is too large to fit through the bottom hole.
i used the boats in a nasty inlet and never had the prop cavitate, and the 25 is heavy enough to need the hp. in adverse conditions.
Good luck Ron B Lighthouse point Fl.
Lee Kaufman

Nissan outboard

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I have the recommended 6hp Nissan outboard. Though a couple of years old, it has only about 25 hours on it. I have spent most of the summer with it in the shop. It had a plastic tube in the carb. that disintegrated and the replacement from Miami was backordered. The replacement was bronze so this must have been a recurring problem that has now probably been fixed. Now I have what appears to be an ignition problem and it is in the shop again. I wonder if anyone else has had these kind of problems with this motor.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

CD25 Engine

Post by Sea Owl »

You didn't say where/what you had to contend with for water.

I have a CD25 I have owned for a whole month now that has a 1993 Mariner 9.9. To get to a bay leading to the ocean, I have to traverse under a bridge where the current from the river runs 5-5.5 knots, direction varying with the tide.

With a smaller 3 blade prop, I have found I appear to need the 9.9 horses to fight the current! The engine fits well into the well with the normal throttle arm removed, and a 'remote' throttle installed on the wall of the port lazerette. It has also been cut down for a 'short' shaft, as has been discussed other places on this message board.

Good luck with your 25 - I love mine so far!

Russ
S/V Sea Owl
CD25 Hull# 438
Carl Thunberg

To Lee

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Lee,

Sounds like you got yourself a bit of a lemon. My Nissan 6HP has been very reliable. I'll echo the short shaft comments. Mine has a long shaft and I wish it didn't. It came with the boat.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
rossum

Post by rossum »

thank you all, I am a bit confused now the 6 hp honda sounded good until Lee said it it sat in the shop. Te 8hp Evinrude is a bruiser, and I never needed full power.
I have to contend not with current or wind ( hardly any in the summer) but the 3 huge Port Jefferson Ferries across Long Island sound. The Capitain, being a purist, will sail in and out in the channel bordered by jetties, motoring is permitted only to avoid the ferry, usually we get 30 seconds margins (I timed it). The ferries don't break or change course, the jetties don't move and I pray that the engine starts and that the pull cord doesn't snap. So I need an engine that is 100 % reliable and that starts instantly.
Lee Kaufman

NOTE - Nissan not Honda

Post by Lee Kaufman »

Note that the problem I am having is with the Nissan motor rather than a Honda.