Did early CD28's have a quarter berth?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Baysailor34

Did early CD28's have a quarter berth?

Post by Baysailor34 »

I thought I read somewhere where some of the early (or maybe it was later) CD28's had a quarter berth. Can anyone let me know if this is true. If so what years.

Thanks.
John Ring

No

Post by John Ring »

Early model CD28 had a pilot berth, not a quarter berth. They went out around 1976 or so.

John Ring
CD28 #241 Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.com
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Quarter berths

Post by Warren S »

The 270's have 'em =8-D

By the way, what is a Pilot Berth?
Russell

Re: Quarter berths

Post by Russell »

Warren wrote:The 270's have 'em =8-D

By the way, what is a Pilot Berth?
Its a berth ussually set outboard of a settee (where cabinets and bookshelves are on newer CDs). Pretty standard on boats in built before the 70s.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Tod Mills

pilot berth

Post by Tod Mills »

A pilot berth is a berth outboard along the hull, up even with the top of the backrest of a settee.

Kinda like sleeping on the rear dash of a big car. :D
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

All this talk about Pilot Berths brings to mind

Post by SeaBelle »

'pipe berths'; they too are extinct. Sadly, I think. Pipe berths are spartan; just a pipe frame surrounding a trampoline like sleeping surface. They were bolted to the hull on a 'hinge' inboard and some chain outboard so they could be stowed in almost no space flipped up against the hull.

Nowadays it seems a prime metric for boats is how many they sleep but we most often sleep 2 (or 4). Wouldn't it be nice to have the forepeak designed for storage (and a workbench) with a couple of pipe berths to handle our rare overflow sleeping needs? Much better than a v-berth or quarter berth designed for sleeping and used for storage.

Of course this geezer also grieves our loss of the 'Murphy Bed' that could turn a small room into a suite :D . (I know they can still be had but they are very seldom used).
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Pilot Berth

Post by Phil Shedd »

Jack

I can remember how nice a pilot berth was after doing the midnight to 03:00 watch during a storm. The heel was the right way. I was a little cramped but warm. I was asleep before the head hit the pillow. Hard to believe how fast 6 hours can go.
The boat was a c+c landfall 42. We were going from Bermuda to Saint John New Brunswick.

Jack FYI there are two Saint Johns in eastern Canada

First Saint John ,New Brunswick Saint always spelled out and St. John's Newfoundland usually St.

Phil