New sails for CD27?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cguthrie

New sails for CD27?

Post by cguthrie »

I have a 1981 CD27 that is in need of new sails (main and 140 genoa, spinnaker is a dream too). We live in Maine where a lot of good sailmakers are available. But I've never done this before and want to make an informed decision before signing someone up to do this. I'll plan on a cruising/racing dacron; nothing too fancy but it would be nice to have something a bit more sexy than the heavy material I presently have. Anyone out there who has wisdom or sailmaker recommendations? Thanks, Cliff
Cliff Guthrie
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

I'll let you know in 2 weeks . . .

Post by John D. »

I won't be able to help with a specific loft recommendation, but I have a new main for my CD27 coming on Oct. 1. I'll report then.

I ordered it from UK Annapolis, with cruising Dacron, 4 full battens, 2 reef points, a fully attached bolt-rope foot, and the Dutchman system, which I've heard makes the intermediate reefing ties almost optional.

My current main is very old and blown out - I can't trim it flat in any conditions - so I'm hoping the difference will be very significant.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I buy my sails from the Doyle Loft on Long Island (NY). 3 years ago I bought a Doyle 2+2 minsail. Its a loose footed sail with the top two battens full and the bottom two battens of standard configuraton but extra long (2+2). Its a great sail and made a huge difference over my old blown out main.

2 years ago I bought a 140% genoa from Doyle. I had previously been sailing with a 110%. Both are on a furlex furler. In the lighter winds of western LI Sound in summer the 140% makes a huge difference compared to the 110%.

I have a 1980 CD27 and the new sail combination has her sailing better than ever!! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
cguthrie

Sails for CD27

Post by cguthrie »

Thanks for this. I'm already getting excited about the difference new sails will make. How much should I budget for a new set of Main and 140 genoa?
Cliff
Cliff Guthrie
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Would you be looking for a system for stowing the main?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

like the Doyle Stackpack or Mack Mackpack systems. Are you happy with your current system?
You could (probably) get a better deal if you get everything from one source than piecemealing something together, if you were to change.
cguthrie

Just sails

Post by cguthrie »

In fact I took the old Hallett stackpack off the boat because I found it cumbersome when reefing and working the sails. I have a loose-footed sail now and am much happier -- it's just old and blown out.
Cliff Guthrie