CD36 Freeboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

patturner

CD36 Freeboard

Post by patturner »

Just curious ....... if any of you 36 owners happen to be down at your boats in the near future and have a tape measure ..... let me know what your freeboard is from the top of the toerail to the water just outboard of the cap shroud. I'm pretty loaded up for a trip down to Mexico and wondered what kind of freeboard other CD36'ers had.

Thanks.
________
SUZUKI CULTUS HISTORY
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
Russell

Re: CD36 Freeboard

Post by Russell »

patturner wrote:Just curious ....... if any of you 36 owners happen to be down at your boats in the near future and have a tape measure ..... let me know what your freeboard is from the top of the toerail to the water just outboard of the cap shroud. I'm pretty loaded up for a trip down to Mexico and wondered what kind of freeboard other CD36'ers had.

Thanks.
My CD36 is heavily loaded as well, I will measure it tommorow for you on both sides (my boat lists depending on how full the tanks are).

I can tell you now though that I am raising my waterline 2 or 3" on next haul out (and its already above factory waterline).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
patturner

36.75"

Post by patturner »

Right now, with half full tanks, but everything else pretty much on board, and standing on the dock next to the boat my toe rail at the cap shroud is 36.75" to the water.

Russell, what are you doing that's going to raise your water line 2-3" ...... that's a couple thousean pounds of stuff if I undestand the immersion thing. I think with a CD3 it takes 900lbs to lower the boat in to the water 1" - does that sound right?
________
MERCEDES-BENZ M156 ENGINE HISTORY
________
MARIJUANA VAPORIZERS
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
Russell

Re: 36.75"

Post by Russell »

patturner wrote:Right now, with half full tanks, but everything else pretty much on board, and standing on the dock next to the boat my toe rail at the cap shroud is 36.75" to the water.

Russell, what are you doing that's going to raise your water line 2-3" ...... that's a couple thousean pounds of stuff if I undestand the immersion thing. I think with a CD3 it takes 900lbs to lower the boat in to the water 1" - does that sound right?
I just stepped out and measured it, from the top of the toe rail at the cap shroud to the water, measuring strait down (not along the curve of the hull) it is 35.5". So 1.25" lower in the water then yours. As for how many pounds it takes to lower the waterline 1", I dont recall the exact amount or the formula to figure it out (though a google should turn it up) 900lbs sounds about right from my memory.

My waterline doesnt strictly need to go up a full 3" (though it definately needs 1" more), in fact even with my loaded boat now the top of the antifouling remains above the waterline. But being on anchor outside of a more protected marina, there is more wave action causing parts of the hull to remain wet for extended periods, even though not submerged and marine growth does occur in this case.

My boat is probably more heavily loaded then yours is, as I set it up for cruising for several years, I probably have gear that your not carrying:

Sails: Other then the 3 working sails currently rigged, I have 4 additional sails on the boat currently.

Tools: I have 3 tool boxes, 3 tool rolls, A dremel, a Fein saw, jigsaw, 2 drills, 2 sanders, and tons of misc stuff(socket sets, die and tap sets, plug cutters, etc...). I also have a sailrite sewing machine on board at the moment (belongs to a friend in Trinidad). I also have an increadable amount of SS and bronze fasteners, wiring parts, a wide variety of cable, plumbing, etc. that I have amassed as spares durring various repairs and system overhauls.

Clothes: I carry not only my warm weather clothes, but a full wardrobe of cold weather clothes too. Most people bound for the tropics only take warm weather clothes and a very limited amount of cold weather clothes. This includes 2 sets of cold weather linens as well.

Charts: These really do add up in weight, I have hundreds on aboard, the entire US east coast, caribbean and med.

Chain and Anchors: all told I have 450' of chain on board and 4 anchors.

Liquids and Chemicals: This stuff really ads up too, lots of oil (fresh and used, you cant always find a place to dispose of used oil and might carry it around for awhile), lots of coolant,tranny fluid, gas and oil for dink, acetone, paint, varnish, alchol, mineral spirits, brush cleaner, various bedding compounds, silicon, putties, general use oils, etc.. The problem is, especially with engine related fluids, when you need it you may be anchored somewhere that none is available, or when someplace with supplies available on shore they may not carry the brand or type you strongly prefer. Carry a lot extra has proven worthwhile even with the very good provisioning available in the eastern caribbean.

Engine spares: full gasket set, spare altinator and regulator, 2 spare fresh water pumps, spare racor unit and tons of filters and countless other parts.

Batteries and charing: 5 group 31 batteries is more I think then the average CD36 has and you would be hardpressed to find space for more then that (I tried), plus the big SS pole the wind gen sits on and the wind gen itsself adds up, the solar panels arnt too heavy though.

Every locker, interior and cockpit on my boat, is stuffed full, and I have a lot of additional storage which other CD36s do not have. In addition most of my v-berth is full.

Not sure how this compares to your boat. Its pretty tough to compare as its impossible to make a full inventory (not impossible really, but silly) and compare. I will say though I am in the process of lightening the load on my boat, tons of stuff I have I dont need or want. Though the heaviest part of my load is tools, spares and ground tackle, I have no plans to get rid of any of them.

For what its worth, the boat still sails extreamly well even in light wind. My only complaint is the weight in the bow causes the boat to peirce steeper waves rather then ride over them, though I do not experience a hobby horse effect at all, more just plowing through them. For my atlantic crossing all ground tackle and chain will be moved out of the bow and to the middle of the boat.

If I was going on a shorter cruise I would probably carry a lot less then I do.

Sorry, when starting this post I didnt intend for it to become so long!

Russell
Russell
mahalocd36

Russell - please share....

Post by mahalocd36 »

When reading your list, I was like, where the heck does he put all that on a CD36?
Then you said:
I have a lot of additional storage which other CD36s do
not have.
Do tell!
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Russell

Re: Russell - please share....

Post by Russell »

mahalocd36 wrote:When reading your list, I was like, where the heck does he put all that on a CD36?
Then you said:
I have a lot of additional storage which other CD36s do
not have.
Do tell!
Well, 1/3rd of my v-berth has been turned into storage as you can see in this picture:

This is where most of my clothes and linens go and the largest cabinet in there is a full 2" deep and 2" tall and 2" wide, its huge, this is where a lot of the power tools go. But having all this space for my clothes frees up my hanging lockers, which have shelves in them to be used for storage of a wide variety of things.

Underneith the v-berth you can see in this picture, a grate is there, held in by barrel bolts:

This is where extra sails are stored in the "V" area and held in by the grate. Other then that the existing storage areas exist from before it was modified, in these areas I keep some winter clothes, a full set of spare running rigging (my old stuff) windlass battery, and lots of seldomly used things.

Of course this v-berth setup makes the berth a fair bit small, but since I am a single hander that doesnt matter. And one finds that most cruisers end up using their v-berth for storage anyways. I never sleep in the v-berth, its far easier to sleep on the setee, which one would use underway anyways.

My nav station conversion which I posted about a long time back, ads a lots of storage as well, you can see the conversion here:

The cusions are removed in this photo, but you can see the small extra shelf and cubby, but thats not much really (though real handy), but behind the seat is all a huge storage space, plus you can see in this picture in the top right, part of a shelf thats back there. This is a removeable shelf thats installed about 20" above the bottom of the quarter berth, extends the full width and full depth of the quarterberth. Its huge. Below this shelf is where most of my cat related items live, cat box, cat food, extra litter, etc.. Also when underway the ditch bag and epirb live right behind the seat. On the shelf above the quarterberth lives the first aid kit, I bought one of those offshore kits that has everything under the sun it in, skin staplers, etc... its a big kit, in addition lots of small soft things live up there, spare canvas bags, harnesses, etc..

In my galley I have extra shelves above the sink:

It doesnt add to much space, but it helps, galley storage is my biggest obsticle. Since they are open I have to keep nets around them to keep stuff from falling out while underway. The support beam for the shelf makes a VERY good hand hold at sea, I love having it there. One day I would like to enclose these shelves into proper cabinets.

All these spaces are in addition to all the existing storage on a CD36. I would guess it almost doubles storage space available, especially for large awkward things which very few sailboats are setup to store well.

I also have plans to turn a lot of the CD36s dead space into storage, I have been annoyed to find a lot of space is used up and inaccessable by the way the furnature was put together. For instance:

Underneith the stove, this area can be cut up and an odd shaped door built to turn it into storage for cookiesheets and such which I currently have to store in the oven.

Under the nav station inboard. Beneith the sliding doors in the nav station is an area of dead space that a small door could easily be put and be very useful for keeping the nav station in order, since I keep lots of important stuff here, like flash lights, multi tools, handheld vhf, etc..

The base of the mast: I dont know why CD didnt make this area of the forward bilge accessable, from the forward end of the fuel tank to the area outside the head is a large amount of space that could be put to good use.

The 3 drawers oppose the head. Beneith the bottom draw is all inaccessable dead space and a lot of it, which easily could have a cabitnet door to access it. In fact the drawers only slide in less then a foot, this space goes an additional extra 2.5 feet easily till it reaches the hull. If the drawers were disposed of and the false bottom and back inside removed, then turned it into a cabinet, you would get easily 4 or 5 times more space then the current drawers allow. This setup only exists on the CD36 from 82 to 85, before and after that period CD put a far superior full height and depth hanging locker here.

In the galley sliding doors behind the stove, inside underneith the false bottom is a ton of space. I would like to make this false bottom easily removeable without tools, to take advantage of this space to store seldom used food stuffs, like eccess tinned food.

Phew, another long post. Sorry for hijacking your thread pat.

Russell[/list]
Russell
David van den Burgh

Ariel's measurements

Post by David van den Burgh »

Pat,

I measured 38 1/4" from the top of the toe rail at the cap shroud to the water.

David
Russell

Re: Ariel's measurements

Post by Russell »

David van den Burgh wrote:Pat,

I measured 38 1/4" from the top of the toe rail at the cap shroud to the water.

David
Wow, big difference between your boat and pats and mine. Were your tanks full or empty when you measured? Do you have anything aboard other then sailing equipment?
Russell
David van den Burgh

Re: Ariel's measurements

Russell wrote:Wow, big difference between your boat and pats and mine. Were your tanks full or empty when you measured? Do you have anything aboard other then sailing equipment?
Russell,

I'm not sure, but I suspect that all four water tanks are empty - or at least close.

We have a decent tool collection aboard, essential spares, some canned goods, books, two anchors, three batteries, etc. We're belt-and-suspenders guys, so I'd say Ariel is far better equipped than most coastal cruisers in this region (and maybe elsewhere), but certainly she's not provisioned for the Atlantic and beyond. We do use a nylon rode with minimal chain since most of the bottom is sand or mud around here. Your 450' of chain must add well over 500lbs, which I'm sure brings Lady Pauline down on her lines - not to mention the five batteries. As high as Ariel sits relative to your boat and Pat's, I had to raise her waterline 2" after our first season with her; the previous owner had virtually nothing aboard. I'm sure as the years pass she'll be sitting lower, although I can't say that I'm interested in losing more freeboard.

David
patturner

My stuff

Post by patturner »

If I had time I'd raise the waterline on our boat as well since we are mixed now ..... but now time. Maybe get to it on the road ... so to speak.

We are only planning on being out'n'about for about a year and have not amassed quit the load you have, but I'll have to remeasure with full tanks.

In addition to the three sails we also carry an Asym. We carry 4 anchors - 44lb Delta, 37lb Fortress, 35lb CQR, 22lb Danforth. about 200' of chain, the rest 3 strand. Windlass to pull all that up.

I have 2 tool boxes and assorted dremels, drills, small "poney" vise, blah, blah. Lot's of spares - electrical, plumbing, hardware, rigging, engine, oil, etc.

4 220ah 6v for a total of 440ah 12v plus a start batt. 3 solar panels.
And yeah, lots of liquids - oil, cleaning, glueing, mending ..... wow.

We have really made an effort to maximize clothing while minimizing the space they take up. Layers is the key ...... the clothes are smaller and pack away better. We also have cold weather geat since the Califonia coast is typically cold (the spray certainly is) and the bash going north is always breezy/wet.

Two sets of cotton linens and one set of flannel (my wife really splurged on good linens).

Also have snorkeling gear, inflatable sea kayak, dingy, liferaft.

about 75 books (i'm a big reader and this was one of my favorite jobs gettiing ready for this trip).

I was trying to figure out how to attach a removable "Tiki Bar" to the side of the boat ...... just kidding, but wouldn't that be fun?!
________
Volcano vaporizer
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries
Russell

Post by Russell »

Pat,

So when is depature date? Are you doing the ralley or on your own?

From your post I gather your planning on doing the so called "baha bash" as well, awsome! Your going to have 80% of the people who head down tell you your nuts to do it, but I think you have the right idea, its a sailboat, you dont need to do what most do, that is 45 knots back north on a truck.

Are you planning to document your trip at all with a website or email updates? If your doing emails I would love to be included.

Curious about the 3 solar panels you have and what size and where you mounted them.

Nice selection of anchors, I think you did very good there. As for chain, your 200' is going to be plenty. I have more then I need, my boat came with both primary and secondary having 75' each, I wanted my primary to have 300' (which had come in handy once so far, glad I had it), so that extra 75' is sitting around as spare (which I should probably get rid of). From what I gather mexico cruising doesnt involve any seriously deep anchorages, so you should be set and wont have the issues I do with all that weight forward.

Good linens are worth it, sleeping full time on foam cusions, the added comfort of good linens helps.

If you havnt already included in your liquids, bring a couple cans of your favorite varnish, brushes and masking tape. You may not find what you like there and your going to be seriously shocked at how quickly the tropics eat this stuff away. Especially when cruising, where your brightwork gets salt on it and you cant afford to spend the fresh water to rinse it off after each sail. The salt just intensifies it. The areas of my boat most prone to salt spray went bad 3 times quicker then those exposed to solid sunlight all day. Things not exposed to direct sun or salt still look freshly varnished. I am going through a lot of stripping, sanding and refinishing now, due to realizing too late how quickly brightwork can get out of hand down here. It goes quickly from mild signs of distress to suddenly its peeling everywhere. But then, maybe your a far more practical man then I and have embraced natural grey as a good thing.

Good call on the books too, I left with about 100 (not counting cruising/sailing books). But about half of those were old favorites that I couldnt bear to part when when I had my yard sale (on land I hade over 1000 books). The other half were new books which I found I went through very quickly. Plenty of cruisers to trade books with, but personally I quickly found very few cruisers had the same tastes in books as me. I would have for trade a Faulkner novel and would only be offer Grishom and similar. So plenty of books of your taste is worth carrying.

As for the tiki bar, brian wilson sang "wouldnt it be nice..."

You may love cruising so much you leave your boat in mexico to come back the following year and keep cruising. Or decicde to not go back at all.

I know you didnt ask for a critique on your cruising gear, but I am enjoying seeing another CD take off cruising and couldnt help myself :) .
Russell
David van den Burgh

Re: My stuff

patturner wrote:4 220ah 6v for a total of 440ah 12v plus a start batt.
Pat,

We have two 220ah 6-volts and one 12v starting in the starboard cockpit locker. I was planning on adding two more 220ah 6-volts, but I'm not quite sure where to locate them. What was your solution aboard Salt Shaker? I'd like to keep the batteries on the staboard side to minimize Ariel's list to port.

David
patturner

Batt placement

Post by patturner »

I'm sure my configuration is different then yours. I own a 1979 CD36 which had two 35gal water tanks in the main salon floor and tow additional 30 gal tanks, one under each settee for a total of about 130 gals of water. I placed two of the 6v batteries right under the Nav station seat as you sit at the nav station and two more under the starboard settee. In order to accommodate the batteries on the starboard side I cut-down the 30gal tank to about 20gals. I then glassed in a platform just aft of the 20 gal tank and right up against the bulkhead that forms the back side of the nav station and secured the batteries there. I figured I could afford to lose the 10 gals of water. I used to have them in the starboard cockpit locker, but was really trying to move weight forward (toward the middle). Another option is to give up the little locker or space that is under the Nav station and put two batts in there. I had to pull up the little floor that your feet rest on as you sit at the nav station in order to run the cables to tie the two banks together.
________
Headshops
________
Straight-6 Engine
Steve Alarcon
Seattle

CD36 Freeboard

Post by Steve Alarcon »

Hi Pat,

One of the previous owners of our boat left a bunch of info about the boat that he had calculated (I think he was some sort of engineer). He indicated that it takes 900 pounds to increase immersion by 1 inch. He also raised the bottom paint and boot stripe by about 6 inches for an extended cruise in the Caribbean.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Alarcon on Sep 25th, '06, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
David van den Burgh

Re: Batt placement

patturner wrote:I'm sure my configuration is different then yours. I own a 1979 CD36 which had two 35gal water tanks in the main salon floor and tow additional 30 gal tanks, one under each settee for a total of about 130 gals of water.
Pat,

Thanks for the info. Your original configuration is the same as ours - Ariel is also a '79, hull #7. Your solution to battery placement certainly works. Something to think about.

David