CD 25D Bow Pulpit

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Littlebit

CD 25D Bow Pulpit

Post by Littlebit »

First I want to say I have been reading some of the past messages and found this site to be full of great information. I am going on Friday to take possession of a CD 25D in Miami. The boat has problems but anything I could afford would. My question is does anybody have a source on a new bow pulpit. The one on the boat is broken and bent and I would like to replace it if possible. Thanks
Russell

Re: CD 25D Bow Pulpit

Post by Russell »

Littlebit wrote:First I want to say I have been reading some of the past messages and found this site to be full of great information. I am going on Friday to take possession of a CD 25D in Miami. The boat has problems but anything I could afford would. My question is does anybody have a source on a new bow pulpit. The one on the boat is broken and bent and I would like to replace it if possible. Thanks
Any metal shop who deals with SS should be able to make one for you. I am sure in the Miama area there will be several places who could do it, but shop around and expect some sticker shock. I found the prices on SS work to vary dramaticly. Ask to see photos of existing similar work, most shops will have some sort of portfolio of custom jobs they have done.

Is your existing pulpit that far gone? If it broke I imagine it broke at a weld, it can be rewelded (if it broke someplace other then a weld, then wow, what did the previous owner hit!). It can also be rebent back into shape, though it will probably never be exact again, it will be far cheaper then a full replacement. Shop around and get quotes on both repair and replacement. I wouldnt limit my search to "marine" metal workers either.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Seconded

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I second Russell's advice. If you can get by with a weld or a rebend for a while you can spend your money on something that actually improves performance e.g. sails, engine, GPS, etc. While I do it I hate spending money on straight maintainence and repair. Rather spend it on a nifty stuff. btw you will be well satisfied with the CD 25D. I have been for 5 years.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Littlebit

Post by Littlebit »

Thanks for the input. The boat was here for a couple of hurricanes and that’s when the bow pulpit got bent. The pad on the port side broke at the weld when we were inspecting the boat. (I am a fatso and proud of it) Thinking of cost and the fact that some one is going to make the new one instead of an off the shelve product makes at least looking at repairing the way to go. Speaking of fat people does anyone know if a 240-pound person can go up the mast on a CD 25D? Would the mast bend or maybe the boat would tip over. Saw a video on AFV of a small boat tipping over with to many people on the bow. It was very funny, don’t want it to happen to me. Need to work on lights and such. Either me or send my 9 year old. He would do it but doubt much work would get done.
Bob Luby

Tip over?

Post by Bob Luby »

I don't think you'd tip over or damage the mast as long as the stays are reasonably tight, so that it would stay in column. You'd be in the center of the boat, remember. FWIW I'm bigger than you, and I went up my mast halfway with a ladder to retrieve a halyard. No problems.

Remember - the boat weighs over 5000 lbs.
________
VAPORIZERS
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Did you buy the 1982 CD 25D that was originally in Key Largo and then apparently moved up to Miami? The owner's initials are/were "RP". When I looked at this 25D last year it was in Key Largo. The owner said they were moving her to a local sailing club mooring field in Miami.

If so, I would be interested in the final purchase price.

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Don't worry

Post by Joe Myerson »

I've got to agree with Bob; if you were heavy enough to tip a 25D over, you wouldn't fit on a 25D. The boats that usually tip over with a person aloft are centerboarders--often with the board up.

You've got a great boat. Enjoy it!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627