Yellow stains on headliner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

aja

Yellow stains on headliner

Post by aja »

Can anyone tell me what causes the yellowish stains on headliners? We are looking at a CD for sale and are concerned about these stains. They look like leaks but the owner said they are not leaks, but that it was a production problem.

Is this a common CD issue? ARe they most likely leaks? Should we be worried?

Thanks in advance,
Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

This is a common problem with CDs. Somewhere in the archives I recall reading a detailed account of the cause.

The stains can easily be painted over.

Good Luck
Mark Abramski
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Diana,

I was told by our surveyor who had actually worked for Cape Dory that the yellow areas were caused by the separation from the mold. They are only cosmetic. My first thought when looking at our boat prior to purchase was the same as yours - a leak. So, my thought is to eventually to paint - see this week's post on painting the headliner for ideas and in the archives as well.

Dick
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

The stains can be partially removed . . .

Post by John D. »

This week, I used "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers" on various spots on the boat, all with good effect:

- yellow stains on headliner (partial success);
- oil stains around engine access;
- black rub marks on the topsides from old fenders;
- bird dropping stains on deck; and
- old glue that had been used to attach carpet to the cabin sole.

There are some sort of sponge with a mild rubbing compound impregnated in them. They're pricey ($2.50 for a 4-pack) but really work, with little mess, little effort, and only a few drops of water to moisten them.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Diana,

I've had pretty good success removing those ugly stains using ALOT of elblow grease and a mixture of Boat Soap and bleach. Scrub using a heavy duty Scotchbrite/sponge pad. Zud works too and I'd imagine that Zap would also work but I haven't tried Zap.

Make sure you wear goggles or something to protect your eyes. Since you'll be using this stuff above your head, it will drip and you DON'T want any of these products, especially the Zud or Zap, in your eyes.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

mOST OF mine came off with Clorox Wipes! They work great and don't drip! Now I keep a box of them constantly on the boat.
Zeida
CDSOA Member