Sailing Season in North Carolina

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Sailing Season in North Carolina

Post by Sea Hunt »

Now that I am fully retired, "the Admiral" and I are considering the idea of relocating from South Florida. I have been looking at North Carolina (Morehead City, Cherry Point area) as a possibility.

While this relocation does not get us away from hurricanes, I think it gets us away from increasingly oppressive summer heat waves.

Is sailing a year round activity in North Carolina or is it "seasonal" as it is further up north? Do you haul out your boats during the winter months or sail them all year round? My guess is you sail all year round but would be interested in the thoughts and practices of CDSOA board readers.

Also, if any knows of a good real estate agent in eastern NC, please send a private email.

This move, if done at all, will be a long time in the making. I have been studying brochures, etc. with the idea buying a new TV for the past 4 years. :roll: I have narrowed it down to 3 models but they keep changing (upgrading?) the $#@ features. :wink: As I am often told, "you are not an impulse buyer".

Thanks,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sailing Season in North Carolina

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt wrote:Is sailing a year round activity in North Carolina or is it "seasonal" as it is further up north?
Just for the record, they race sailboats in Boston Harbor year round.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bill Michne

NC sailing

Post by Bill Michne »

I live in Oriental, billed as the "Sailing Capital of North Carolina," not far from Cherry Point. Sailing is a year round activity, but fair to say, you have to pick your days in January and February. I haul my boat each winter for a month or so to have the bottom cleaned, change the zincs, paint the bottom, etc. On the south side of the Neuse there is only one marina, in Clubfoot Creek. No services. There are marinas farther up the Neuse to New Bern, but then you have to come down toward Oriental for the good sailing, and again, little in the way of services. Oriental has lots of marinas and private slips for rent or sale, and two full service boat yards with competent staff. Being on the ICW you have easy access to a lot of cruising destinations. There are also several sailing clubs here, some for cruising and others for racing.

Now for the down side. We do get hurricanes here, although usually not too bad as we are separated from the ocean by a 10-15 mile wide strip of land. Still, the high water is a concern. Also, the water in some places is a little thin. If you draw 6' there are some places you won't get into. Finally, there is usually about a 4 week stretch in the summer when it is quite hot and humid.

I will send an email with a good real estate agent (who is also a sailor) who serves the Pamlico and Craven county areas.

Hope to see you on the water.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Cherry Point

Post by Ron Turner »

Robert,

I also live in Oriental, and LUVIT.
I am retired Navy and use CP for medical. It is a hit and miss thing with retirees.
Ron Turner
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Beaufort, NC is nice too.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Also be sure to check out Beaufort, NC.

Beaufort: http://www.beaufort-nc.com/

Marinas: http://www.insiders.com/crystalcoast/main-marinas1a.htm

Swansboro, Edenton and Washington are nice too.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Insurance Rates

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Boat insurance rates are better in NC than FL if that is any clue. Parfait stays in the water year 'round, but she usually doesn't get much action in the Winter months. Nice to have heat at the slip. Hardier types, like the live-aboards in Boston would think we are soft and they are right.

There may be more practical yards in the Beaufort/Morehead City area than inland at Oriental. You are also 4 hours closer to open ocean.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ed Bailey

Post by Ed Bailey »

What about live-aboard slip rentals in the Oriental area? I have rented a slip at Whittaker and plan on bringing Equus down the ditch from Annapolis the 1st or 2d week in Oct. Whittaker doesn't like liveaboards, however. Any idea?
Ed Bailey
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

This is really an outstanding board. :!:

I thank all of you for your input, suggestions, website addresses to check out, etc. It is all very helpful.

Mr. Gordon, I apologize for not knowing that Boston sailors race year round. As someone who grew up in Western Mass. I should have known better, but I guess it was always just too cold to even think about being on the water in winter.

I may be up in the Boston area in a few weeks to look at a Cape Dory 22 in Scituate. If so, and if your schedule permits, I would be honored to buy you a beer.

Again, my thanks to all.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Pete

Check out Sea Harbor

Post by Pete »

Ed,

I believe that Sea Harbor might be a place (if they have room) where you can live aboard. Live aboards and Oriental are far and few between... There are some at WCYH, but much of that depends on space. There is one logistical issue... most every marina will shut off water to the dock in Jan-Feb. While the water around your boat may not freeze, the waters lines to your boat will! This is the biggest issue with live-aboards (fresh water!)

You may want to check with the Marinas in New Bern as for live-aboard status???

Pete
Pete

Sailing in Winter (ok, not Boston Winter)

Post by Pete »

First off, let me say that I grew up in NY. I know what winter is, and guess what, I live in NC. What we call winter here, and in the areas you are interested in, is more about cold days than heavy snows. Yes, we get the once in a ten year snow that covers the roads in the Eastern part of NC. What we do get is ICE! Ice on the trees and ice on the roads. But after a Carolina Blue Sky--the ice is gown and the sailing is back on.

I have sailed in December, January, and Feb. Yes, I wore layers and gloves. But more likely is a mid-50 degree day, sunny, and no boat traffic!

You will need heat, it gets in the 20 and 30 many nights. But the daytime temps jump most days. More boats stay in the water year round here, since most of the waters just don't freeze up. However, you should (with Vodka if you like)/must winterize your fresh water tanks and lines (unless you are living aboard and can keep heat on.)

If you are going to be in the Oriental area, please give us a shout. There is a growing group in the area, and we all love to share our knowledge.

Pete
Carolinas' Fleet Captain
marilou

WHERE IS SEA HARBOR?

Post by marilou »

Did not find it on Mapquest.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: WHERE IS SEA HARBOR?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Marilu,
marilou wrote:Did not find it on Mapquest.
Sea Harbor is not the name of a town, it's the name of one of the marinas in Oriental.

http://www.coldwellbankerorientalnc.com ... ishing.php
Andy Denmark

Sea Harbour info

Post by Andy Denmark »

Check it out at these addresses:

http://199.236.102.31/seaharbour/ ---- this is an old site but descriptive nonetheless

http://www.seaharbour.org

email: seaharbour@pinelink.net

phone: 252-249-0808

Sea Harbour Marina (aka "Sea Harbour yacht Club") is, by far, the nicest facility in the Oriental area and one of the best protected from storms. Nice amnenities, well managed, and nice people.

FWIW, I have a deepwater slip (#40) there that will be open on Oct. 1 due to the previous tenants relocation out of the area. The slip will accomodate a boat of 28 ft or less.

You can contact Landon Winstead, the Marina Manager there at 252-249-0808 for details if you're interested.
________
Weed