Sailing on Lake Winnipesaukee

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Sailing on Lake Winnipesaukee

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I've never been a lake sailor and I've always shunned lakes (other than the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain) as being, well, small, with fickle winds and nothing but lee shore. Since my boat is still stuck in Poorhouse Cove in John's Bay (Maine), I finally accepted an offer from a friend of mine who has a San Juan 24 on Lake Winnipesaukee to go sailing on Saturday. What a blast! It was "blowin' like stink" out there and we got her surfing at 7 knots under spinnaker in The Broads. It was also nice having a 360 degree view of the shoreline, which is something I've never experienced. The best part is, my glasses stayed clean even in the spray! All in all, it was a memorable day, and it changed my mind about lake sailing.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sailing on Lake Winnipesaukee

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:It was also nice having a 360 degree view of the shoreline, which is something I've never experienced.
YIKES!!! I tend to prefer a 360 degree view of the horizon.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Carl - A friend of mine was known to say, "the big boats get all the attention and the money, but the little boats get the sailors". I have no idea if he made that up or found it quoted someplace....but I always liked it. I think that some of my experiences sailing on lakes has made me a better cruising sailor and I recommend it to anyone with a passion for the wind.

If I had to pick my two favorite sailing experiences I would pick one that occurred on my CD330, and another that occurred sailing a lake on a sunfish.
s-dupuis

NH Lake Sailing

Post by s-dupuis »

Sailing on NH lakes has it's ups and downs. The views are terrific. The changing direction of the wind around local landscape can be a challenge and fresh water is easier on the boat and equipment. Indeed it was REALLY blowing on Saturday. A welcome change from the usual 5-10 MPH usually experienced on the small inland lakes but Winnipesaukee can be an exception, particularly out on 'The Broads' where a 3 foot chop is not uncommon.
The down side is the speed boat traffic on the lake during peak times such as weekends and holidays that can be annoying if not dangerous at times, particularly at the more crowded areas like Weirs Beach.
The major draw back is the lack of accomodations there. I have found only one Marina on Winnipesaukee - Fay's - that accomodates 'transients'. $50.00 per night for a mooring.
In addition, NH law prohibits 'overnight' anchoring on any NH lake. A boat with sleeping accomodations must be docked or beached with the landowners permission to 'overnight' on the lake. If you don't have dock space reserved or a friend on the shore with a cottage or home you will likely be sent home by the marine patrol if found anchoring off shore at night. The NH Dept. of Safety web site boating page has definitions of what constitutes staying on board overnight.

Steve
s/v Setting Star
Clay Stalker

Lake Sailing in New Hampshire

Post by Clay Stalker »

Carl:

I really enjoy lake sailing and regularly sail a Lightning and Sunfish on Spofford Lake...small, but good wind. Winnepasauki :oops: is great fun to sail on, but only on weekdays during the summer months....way too many powerboats and the wakes are real bad. Fay's yard is it, and there really isn't much else...not really a sailor's lake. Lake Sunapee is much more sailor friendly. I have also enjoyed chartering on Lake Champlain in Vermont....this feels more like ocean sailing but with fresh water and no tides or currents....but I am still an ocean sailor at heart!

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH