port hole gaskets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

myron

port hole gaskets

Post by myron »

Where can I find rubber gaskets for the opening ports on my 1980 CD 25.
Didereaux

try this....

Post by Didereaux »

Try a custom window shop. Especially one specializing in aluminum double and triple pane. They have similar materials as the gasket in your CD.

A friend of mine gave me some for my 25 and he said that is where he had gotten his.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

It's 1/2" round neoprene. Spartan Marine used to sell them pre-made for the ports; don't know if they still do.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

I obtained replacement gaskets for Carol Anne 2 years ago from Spartan Marine.

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33 #75
Jack

Post by Jack »

Try McMaster-Carr, significantly cheaper! Use cement from auto supply parts store.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

catalog page 3329

Carefully and completely remove old rubber. Clean out the grove very well. Measure new stock,where ends overlap (at top of the port, not the bottom) cut on a bevel with razor blade. Glue ends together. Dry fit port. If satisfied, small ammount of cement in grove then gently push in the rubber. Very easy to do. Works great and you'll save a bundle!
Jack

EPDM Sponge Gasket Material

Post by Jack »

I thought I could find my left over roll of gasket foam that I mentioned in my reply above. This is exactly the same materail that is used for the portlight gaskets, and very easy to do it yourself.

You can obtain a 100' roll, the last roll you will ever have to by for about $40.00 from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Part Number: 8605K44

Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Rubber Cord 1/2" Diameter, 100' Length, In stock at $31.96 Each

You will be very glad that you did it!

Jack
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jack:

How old are the gaskets that you replaced? I did not get very good life out of EPDM gaskets - only a few years - and have redone them with neoprene cord purchased from a local rubber products supply house (the McMaster equivalent is about $11.00 per three foot length).
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I had good luck replacing all gaskets, (hatches also) with 1/2" rubber cord I purchased from Manhatten Supply about 5 years ago.It came in a 100' roll for about 30.00. I give them a light coating with silicon grease once a year, so far so good.
I took apart an old gasket for measurement and cut a piece of 1/2" copper tube with opposing splice angle on each end. Cut splice on one end of new gasket, insert into tubing with ends flush. Cut the opposite end with a sharp utility knife using the angled splice cut on the tubing as a guide. 3M auto gasket cement worked well - put the splice at the top of the port.
________
MAZDA MAZDAGO SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Duncan - the gaskets I replaced were orginals (were hard as a rock) from 83 replaced in 2000. As of this date, the new gaskets are soft and as supple as the day I put them in. Provides a great water tight seal.

Ron - Sounds like we are using the same or similar stuff. So far I've not tried the silicon grease idea.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Gasket Material

Post by Mitch F »

I purchased 100' of gasket material from McMaster-Carr like Jack mentioned. I used about 20' of it to replace the hardened and leaky gaskets on our portlights and now have the remaining 80' taking up space in the garage. If anybody needs some please drop me a note - I'd be happy to mail you as much as you need.

- Mitch
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I had read about the silicone grease trick, but never tried it (and wish I had. I have plenty of stock to redo the ports that still need to be redone, and I will be happy to offer up the remnants to others (hopefully later this fall).

FWIW, I recently got a quote of $13 per port from Spartan.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Ray Garcia

Mitch F

Post by Ray Garcia »

I sent you a PM about possibly acquiring a 8' piece for my Bomar hatch.

Thanks

raygarci[at]optonline[dot]net
Duncan Maio

The Bomar needs a bigger gasket

Post by Duncan Maio »

Ray:

the 1/2" stuff won't work on the hatch - I don't recall the whole decision tree, but I ended up buying a length of the self-adhesive gasket from Bomar (or whoever owns them now). It cost a few bucks, but took about three minutes to install, including removing the old gasket.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
barfwinkle

Mitch F

Post by barfwinkle »

I just sent you a private message!

tnx

Bill
Bill Member #250.
Ron M.

1/8th "

Post by Ron M. »

Duncan, I have to say that the Bomar gaskets are indeed a bit beefier than the port gaskets, 5/8" compared to 1/2". I did use the 1/2" on my hatches, (I had about 80 ' left over - and I'm cheap !) It has worked fine , no leaks.
________
Lincoln
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.