Seacock bonding....here we go again....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Seacock bonding....here we go again....

Post by Scott MacCready »

I mentioned a while back that the electrical bonding on all my seacocks had been disconnected by the previous owner. I've never been able to get him to respond to any emails about it so i don't know if he was trying to avoid blowing out the seacocks in a lightning strike or if he was trying to prevent electrolysis. I decided to keep them disconnected and watch to see what happened. Well, of the 7 seacocks I have, 6 are virtually clear of any green residue, however, yesterday I noted the one for my starboard cockpit scupper had a heavy build-up of green powder on it. Structurally, it seems fine and operates smoothly. What do you think?
By the way, the boat is in a marina and since I live aboard, it's plugged into shorepower 24/7 unless I'm out sailing.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Isolation Transformer?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Scott,

At one of our annual meetings, I was very politely told by a surveryor from Annapolis that I was pretty brave to keep Parfait plugged in. Isolation transformers are expensive, but maybe very worthwhile.

Is that seacock also unbonded? Could it be that there is a strong electrical current running in the water somewhere nearby?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

Hi Neighbor,
I'll have to do a search for an isolation transformer. As far as the location of that seacock, It's curious that it's located adjacent to the batteries and also the shore power cord....none of which are in the water though??
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Inside?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Scott,
If the green powder is on the inside then you likely have a very slow leak in that seacock. Next time the boat is out of the water (A friend of mine keeps telling me not to rebuild seacocks while it is in the water) re-lap the seacock and replace the hose attached to it. Electrolysis would only affect that which is in contact with the seawater on the outside.

Matt
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

bonding

Post by seadawg »

Hi Scott, Matt has probably got it right and there is probably some seepage. My cd22d had the same problem and required replacement because the seepage had cut a groove in the valve body. My CD has bonding wires from the shrouds and stays to a grounding plate on the keel and to the seacocks. It is part of the lightning protection. I believe it was an option on my boat but it may be worthwhile for you to check your boat to make sure the PO didn't disconnect these bonding wires if you do in fact have the lightning protection. Just a thought... Charles

Bonding/Isolation Transformers/Electrolysis

Post by Guest »

Scott
The green on the bronze is a result of sea water. It's when the bronze takes on a pinkish color that you need to worry about the effects of electrolysis. That is an indicator you need to spend the money on an isolation transformer and make sure all your underwater fittings and rig are bonded.
Having had to spend money replacing some items on past CD's & a Shamrock that I've owned, I am very careful with these things on my newly acquired 330. Everything that the factory bonded is bonded, I installed a Guest Isolator, keep my zincs up and even hang a zinc grouper over the side. With the grouper clipped to my backstay, which also bonded to all the rest.
Bob Mc